Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-08-2006, 06:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
summerfield , Florida
Natchez Trace Parkway..

Hey has anyone been on the Natchez Trace Parkway with their AS? We want to take out our new 05 safari for a trip, thought about going there. Was wondering how it is traveling on the Parkway with an RV, are you able to pull over at the scenic points to check it out and take pics with rv in tow?? Can anyone recommend any campgrounds/state parks??? Thought it would be really scenic soon with the fall colors too. Thanks for any feedback on this...
safari05-25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 06:56 PM   #2
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
The parkway is perfect for what you have in mind. There are two (if memory serves) national park campgrounds inroute and I believe they are free. Make sure you go to http://www.nps.gov/natr/ and get info on the trace (including an indepth mile by mile guide). you will have a great trip, dont forget to report in and post some pics

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 07:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
If you check the list of similar threads found at the bottom of this page, you'll find references to the Parkway. Some give some useful information. Enjoy the reading ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 02:35 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Smile Natchez Trace

My wife and I took our AS from Nashville to Natchez several years ago and last year we joined 12 or our AS unit members for the same trip. Great road, just don't go over 55mph or they will get you. Lots of room to pull over or in at sites of interest. We camped at Grenada MS lake as well as a Corp o Engineers site on the Tombigbee waterway.
Have a nice trip.
Dan
Dbraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 08:37 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
summerfield , Florida
thanks for the info..

thanks for your replies, I am looking forward to the trip..
Old 10-10-2006, 08:05 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
summerfield , Florida
forgot to ask one more question...

Hubby wants to know just how mountainess Trace Parkway is?
Old 10-10-2006, 08:39 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 28
Vintage Kin Owner
Anderson , South Carolina
We traveled the northern half this summer and found the road to be in good repair the scenery outstanding! The signage a hoot. It is pretty much just a long slow incline or decline depending on which way you are traveling. A trip to Elvis's birthplace in Tupelo was fun, as a side trip. The campground in Tupelo was pretty nice and has a couple of resident AS also.
"We've got PBS minds in a MTV world" J.B.
GoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:46 PM   #8
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Reviving the Thread

Okay... I know this is an old thread but I didn't want to start a new thread and clog-up the forum when I could simply piggy-back on this one.

Any updates on traveling the Natchez Trace? We're considering starting in northern / mid Mississippi and going south to Natchez. We'll be there right before and on Christmas 2010.

Any thoughts / comments are appreciated.

Thanks, Lucius
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:03 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I never pulled an Airstream on the Trace but I rode it all pulling a pop up camper behind my Goldwing. We rode Skyline drive and all of the Blueridge Parkway before getting on the Trace. The Trace bored me. It's not on my top 100 places to go again.

I loved sitting in the evening and listening to the street musicians in Mountain View, Arkansas . . . or the gazebo bands in Gatlinburg, Tennessee.

Gary
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 05:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
The Trace is one of my favorite roads...we live less than 10 miles from it and have traveled the entire length several times towing. Lots of pull offs, ya just gotta slow down and see if there is room...remember...don't get in a hurry or you will not enjoy it. Plan on lots of time and just relax. Don't travel at dusk just because of the wildlife...just last week I saw a HUGE buck get whacked by the truck in front of me...Plan ahead for stops, campgrounds and fuel...one of the best things about the Trace can also be a problem...you won't see any civilization...

Specific question?
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:01 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Several years ago, while on an extended road trip, we were working our way along some back roads in Tennessee, SW of Nashville - when low and behold we drove up the valley to encounter the NT double Arch bridge!

What a surprise to find that beautiful bridge appear in front of us! We made the turn to the south so we could find a way to get up on top!

There was a parking area on the northern end of the bridge so we could stretch our legs and walk out onto the bridge - a rather 'spooky' experience, I must say, as the railings on each side are barely at waist height, and it seemed it would be easy to lean over and topple right off that structure! I believe that bridge is about 150 feet above SR 96 below - not really apparent from the picture below...but you'll know it when you see it up close!

The view was spectacular, to say the least, at such an unexpected place, as we new nothing of the area, other than reading about the 'Trace' years ago...

You just never know what new and exciting experience you'll find right here at home in America till you get out and explore!

Hit the road, not the interstates, to get some 'real' views of our wonderful country!

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NT Dbl Arch Br [Desktop Resolution].jpg
Views:	117
Size:	238.2 KB
ID:	115262