Old 02-26-2014, 07:36 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Hey Frank, I was born in Herndon, VA and we lived there till I was 9. My dad actually worked for Melpar in the early 60's. We plan on coming up that way with the trailer one of these days to visit some relatives I have not seen in over 30 yrs. I may look you up when we are there and aggravate you about Airstream frame design .

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Great stuff Perry, thanks. The aluminum frame… these were loaded into planes for transport and not used as travel trailers.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:04 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatiero View Post
The quarantine requirement was eliminated following Apollo 14 once it was proven that the moon was void of life and the facilities were no longer necessary.
I noticed that their procedures required disinfecting the hatches and other things. I had to wonder if they had any clue what they might be disinfecting for and if their disinfectant would be effective against the unknown moon bugs.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:26 AM   #17
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Hey Frank, I was born in Herndon, VA and we lived there till I was 9. My dad actually worked for Melpar in the early 60's. We plan on coming up that way with the trailer one of these days to visit some relatives I have not seen in over 30 yrs. I may look you up when we are there and aggravate you about Airstream frame design .

Perry
The door is always open…
Make sure you stop by the Smithsonian Museum out at Dullas and see the quarantine unit there. Unfortunately it not as easy to see inside of as the photos above.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:16 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Well I am in Huntsville so I can go and see the one at the Space and Rocket Center anytime I want to. We used to live a stone's throw from Dulles. We do want to come up there and see the Smithsonian. If you are in Huntsville, look me up.

Perry
Old 11-25-2015, 11:46 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Here is a historic photo of the MQF. This link lets you download the full resolution image.

This week in 1969, Rear Adm. Donald C. David, commander of the Manned Spacecraft Recovery Force in the Pacific, welcomes the crew of the Apollo 12 lunar landing mission aboard the USS Hornet, prime recovery vessel for the mission. A color guard was also on hand for the welcoming ceremonies. Inside the Mobile Quarantine Facility are, from left, astronauts Charles Conrad Jr., commander; Richard F. Gordon Jr., command module pilot; and Alan L. Bean, lunar module pilot.

http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/fi.../s69-22876.jpg