Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-03-2011, 01:09 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Not Me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
I like to leave mine hanging open when I'm setting up.
I like to leave mine open when Im breaking camp and heading for the open road. All those friendly, wavingpeople weren't saying Bon Voyage afterall, but "Hey, your drawer is open, Big Dummy."
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:27 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Another place I think the spray liner material could be used is inside the wheel wells. Not only would it provide protection from corrosion, but might also help limit the damage in the event of a blowout (and I'm not talking about blown out drawers!).
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:32 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1958 18' "Footer"
Danville , California
My "58 Traveler has it in the wheel wells as well. I think they must have used it everywhere for a period of time. I did use it to undercoat a canned ham I rebuilt a few years ago. I thought it would help seal the plywood from water damage. It is so easy to apply, I do think using it to seal up the inside of the aluminum is a good idea, but as has been said before, sealing the seams externally as well seems to be the way to go.
Chlyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:33 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetOutDoors View Post
I've been thinking about lining my under-bumper drawer with that stuff ...
Would you do the inside and outside of the drawer?
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:45 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
Would you do the inside and outside of the drawer?
No, just the inside: I think the corrosion comes from moister in the drawer – trapped between the drawer and the rubber liner – that causes the problem.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:52 PM   #26
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
i guess we got the commando version. No outside drawers.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:57 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
I Used it on My Wheel Wells

Quote:
Another place I think the spray liner material could be used is inside the wheel wells. Not only would it provide protection from corrosion, but might also help limit the damage in the event of a blowout (and I'm not talking about blown out drawers!).
I applied it after rebuilding the wheel wells on my 1976 Safari, not thinking of blowouts so much as the abrasive rock and gravel spray that helped disintegrate the original wheel wells. I shaped galvanized-steel, wheel-well liners, riveted them in place, then sprayed with bedliner. Voila, pre-Myth-Buster, shrapnel protection for the wheel wells.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:03 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Outside Rear-Bumper Drawers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
i guess we got the commando version. No outside drawers.
...were introduced, I believe, with the Excella model in the 1980's and carried forward with the Limited and Classic models to this day.
I have one on my 2007 Classic Limited. It is a much appreciated feature and a convenient place for sewer hose, extra sewer hose, assorted sewer fittings, nitrile gloves, and even my 30 amp power cord.
Nothing associated with fresh water goes in this drawer.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:03 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
Line-X

The protective coating in the Mythbusters show was a product placement by Line-X. It is best known as a bedliner for pickup trucks, but if you go to their website you will find myriad uses for the product, including military and security. I have had the bed of my last two pickup sprayed with Line-X and I can say that it is superior product. It is indestructible and if it fails it is guaranteed. I can think of a number of uses on AS such as the propane bottle holder and the battery case; two items that tend to rust and corrode early on.

"It's like magic, only real"
(Bud Light commercial)

Women and cats can do as they please, while men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.(R. Heinlein)
50KIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:16 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
What colors does it come in (white or silver)?
Old 11-03-2011, 02:28 PM   #31
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
This one has a sewer hose tube mounted under the frame, across and forward of the tanks. Two sections fit in there perfectly. A good feature, I think.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:32 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Anybody know the difference between Line-X and Rhino Liner( Spray Bed Liner, Spray On Bed Liners, Spray in Bed Liner | Rhino Linings)?
Old 11-03-2011, 02:38 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
This one has a sewer hose tube mounted under the frame, across and forward of the tanks. Two sections fit in there perfectly. A good feature, I think.
We have that as well ... Don't feel too left out, the drawer has limitations given its location and shallowness. In fact, I don't use it. I also have not yet found a use for the under-carrage utility area (located behind the curb-side tire) because neither of these storage areas are sealed from the outside elements. Maybe the spray in liner stuff can help ...
Old 11-03-2011, 02:43 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Great Compartment for Wheel Chocks

Quote:
I also have not yet found a use for the under-carrage utility area (located behind the curb-side tire) because neither of these storage areas are sealed from the outside elements. Maybe the spray in liner stuff can help ...
I store my big, heavy, solid rubber wheel chocks in the utility cabinet behind the curb-side tire. They don't need to be protected from the elements, nor do they need to be in a locked compartment with clean stuff.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:51 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumaholic View Post
I store my big, heavy, solid rubber wheel chocks in the utility cabinet behind the curb-side tire. They don't need to be protected from the elements, nor do they need to be in a locked compartment with clean stuff.
I used to keep my chocks there, but then I became to lazy to crouch down and mess with latches to get them. Now I keep them in the black box behind the Propane tanks. What do the rest of you use that black box for?

Ken
Old 11-03-2011, 02:52 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
When I stripped the original water damaged interior out of my '49 Spartan, guess what the inside of the aluminum skin was covered with??? Something that looked exactly like bedliner. Obviously not the same product, but exactly the same idea. Hmmmmm.
streamquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:03 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
I use the box behind the propane tanks for Tiki torches and the shoe for my jack.
Not much else.
The storage compartment that is not sealed from the elements behind the wheels is where I keep my grease gun for greasing my Hensley Hitch. Of course would work for any other hitches as well.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:46 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Our (used) truck came with one of those spray-in bedliners. It's really nice to have, because there are no worries about scratches and rust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger View Post
Interesting episode. I won't be parking my Bambi over a manhole cover.
That myth seemed pointless to me - the manhole cover thing happened in Georgetown, Washington DC several times over several weeks (to the point that I remember a traffic reporter saying, "Well, it happened again...") back in 1999 or 2000, and a quick search last night turned up plenty of other examples of cities that have had it happen. Sure it was neat to watch...but there are plenty of documented cases of it happening, so what's left to test?

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:13 AM   #39
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
Our (used) truck came with one of those spray-in bedliners. It's really nice to have, because there are no worries about scratches and rust.

That myth seemed pointless to me - the manhole cover thing happened in Georgetown, Washington DC several times over several weeks (to the point that I remember a traffic reporter saying, "Well, it happened again...") back in 1999 or 2000, and a quick search last night turned up plenty of other examples of cities that have had it happen. Sure it was neat to watch...but there are plenty of documented cases of it happening, so what's left to test?
You're missing the point.

Most of the others didn't make money for a TV network.

A lot of things they test don't need testing, but watching them try is entertaining. Don't confuse Mythbusters with education; and now that I think about it, that goes for 99.5% of things carried by mass media.

I have even seen them come to a few conclusions that I was pretty certain were contrary to the science involved.

Ken
Old 11-08-2011, 10:40 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
East Islip , New York
Quote:
Anybody know the difference between Line-X and Rhino Liner( Spray Bed Liner, Spray On Bed Liners, Spray in Bed Liner | Rhino Linings)?
Very similar products. Most of the 4x4 forums tend to show a leaning toward Line-X as the preferred product, but I believe that only Rhino Lining offers colors. There's also stuff called Lizard Skin which is more of an insulation, rather than a layer of impact protection like the bedliners are.

I agree though that it would highly preferable to properly seal the entire seam, starting with the exterior first.

I was actually thinking of doing a combination of all three when(if) I do my Safari. Seam seal the outside, line-x in the wheelwells, and lizard skin on the inner shell.

-Hans
HHaase is offline   Reply With Quote