Old 01-20-2015, 11:49 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
As an Architect, I'm glad to see the interest in smaller, more efficient homes. I'm seeing more interest in using the Passivhaus standard which creates homes that are compact, comfortable and reduce heating and cooling energy by up to 85-90% less than a standard home. Where I live, land is scarce and expensive, so smaller and more efficient homes are beginning to make sense to a lot of people.

cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:38 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
When I started this thread I left out what I had BEFORE I got the first Airstream. I grew up in a very modest 2 bedroom one bath cape cod...

Then many years passed and I saw "This Old House" on PBS... I blame it all on them. Anyway the dear departed and I got a 5 bedroom 3 bath house with 3150 sq feet of space excluding the English basement and attic.

One day sanity finally struck as one more 20K repair loomed and the market was as hot as it's ever been. I sold the thing in December 2005, just before the market started to tremble readying for the collapse (99% luck, 1% smart).

The transition to a 22ft CCD? SO MUCH CRAP to unload. How the hell did I ever get 27 kitchen knives? Who in their right mind would KEEP 3 crock pots - all large ones?

Now I confess I STILL have a small storage locker. I've downsized that twice, and my goal is to close it this spring when I have my final yard sale. It's handy to keep a LITTLE bit of off season stuff for the Airstream... but I must admit there's still some Depression glass (service for 12 if you believe it) in pink cabbage rose. That is of course WAY too much in both weight and size to go into the Airstream, but I'm going to keep service for 4 and sell the rest and use (and break) the pretty stuff rather than see it spend another season in a box.

Downsizing was both easy and hard. The first time I did my weekly cleaning of the Airstream and finished in 20 minutes including damp mopping all of the floors... That's when it really started to make sense. And make happy!

Now I've been there, but I don't have room for the t-shirt!

Paula

Old 01-21-2015, 01:42 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
When I started this thread I left out what I had BEFORE I got the first Airstream. I grew up in a very modest 2 bedroom one bath cape cod...

Then many years passed and I saw "This Old House" on PBS... I blame it all on them. Anyway the dear departed and I got a 5 bedroom 3 bath house with 3150 sq feet of space excluding the English basement and attic.

One day sanity finally struck as one more 20K repair loomed and the market was as hot as it's ever been. I sold the thing in December 2005, just before the market started to tremble readying for the collapse (99% luck, 1% smart).

The transition to a 22ft CCD? SO MUCH CRAP to unload. How the hell did I ever get 27 kitchen knives? Who in their right mind would KEEP 3 crock pots - all large ones?

Now I confess I STILL have a small storage locker. I've downsized that twice, and my goal is to close it this spring when I have my final yard sale. It's handy to keep a LITTLE bit of off season stuff for the Airstream... but I must admit there's still some Depression glass (service for 12 if you believe it) in pink cabbage rose. That is of course WAY too much in both weight and size to go into the Airstream, but I'm going to keep service for 4 and sell the rest and use (and break) the pretty stuff rather than see it spend another season in a box.

Downsizing was both easy and hard. The first time I did my weekly cleaning of the Airstream and finished in 20 minutes including damp mopping all of the floors... That's when it really started to make sense. And make happy!

Now I've been there, but I don't have room for the t-shirt!

Paula
Gee, Paula, you make me feel almost guilty about my little cabin in the woods. I say almost, because I need room for my stuff, cause I like my stuff. Paula, I just can't live without my stuff!

But, I'm glad you manage to make it without all those things. Paula, you are a hero to all of us willpowerless addicts of stuffness.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:02 PM   #18
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
That little cabin in the woods should make a nice funeral pyre. Then you really can take it with you. 😄
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:15 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 26
1973 Argosy 26
Fairmont , West Virginia
Our home for 2 soon to be 3; is 5 bedroom 4 bath my garage is equipped to hand;e 12 cars and we still can't get but 3 in the garage... We have 3100sqf per floor 3floors and we could just as easily leave in our Airstream and never look back at the little 13 room house.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:25 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
We are planning to build a 1000 sq ft house and a 15 car garage and 1 slot for the Airstream.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 01-21-2015, 07:30 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ottawa (greely) , Ontario
I realy like the smaller homes with less stuff, I guess that's why I have the smalless airstream ! I'm in the downsizing mode , about 12 years ago I decided to build a smaller simpler home , so I went to a four day work week and started building our new home next door ,about a year later the house was complete enough to move in and sold our larger four bedroom house, and now retired for two years I would like to downsize again from our 3 bedroom 1600 square feet bungalow to a two bedroom about 900 to 1000 square foot home but must wait for my wife to retire in three years, I retired early at 51 years old and can't wait to make my life simpler and get out camping and motorcycling. So tiny houses sound great!

Don
2012 silverado ext cab 4x4 ,5.3 L , 6 speed trans,3:42 final drive,tow package standard box 6 1/2 foot . 2014 honda forza 300 scooter, #2 2015 honda crf 250 L (Dual sport)
scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:38 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1421897769.099555.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	219.2 KB
ID:	230882

This is our style. Less is more.
Of course "The Mini Bar" would have a house of her own. Lol

Old 01-22-2015, 05:34 AM   #23
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
My bride suggested the other day that maybe we should use the house for storage and live in an RV

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:01 AM   #24
Airstreamer dreamer...

Currently Looking...
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
We are planning to build a 1000 sq ft house and a 15 car garage and 1 slot for the Airstream.

That sounds like my own personal HGTV Dream Home.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:28 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
Give me land, lots of land, under starry skies above. Don't fence me in.

Give me space, gobs of space, for all the toys that I love. Don't fence me in.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:21 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Downsizing - redux - redux - redone

Downsizing starts off painfully, but with a little bit of humor and frequent injections of reality, it gets easier and easier.

The problem is that the deep seated habit still persists - and about 3 or 4 times per year I have to RE-downsize. It's all made worse for many of us who grew up with parents that first went through the Depression, then World War II and all of it's rationing. Underwear and socks were DARNED until they fell apart. If a shirt or blouse was worn out, the buttons were cut off before the garment was trashed, and every T-shirt ended it's life as a dust cloth.

Did you know that when sheets wear out, 90% of the wear is in the center - and the edges can be cut out and made into pillow cases? Really. As a teenager I finally asked my mother if she didn't think four dozen pillow cases were perhaps excessive. And then there was the "slime jar". No sliver of an old bar of soap was ever thrown out. They were put in a jar and when there was enough, hot water was added so that all the little slivers dissolved. You washed with the slime until it was all gone before a new bar of soap could be unwrapped.

So the hoarding gene has been reinforced by early training - and periodic purging is the only hope. Fulltiming in an Airstream just means doing it MUCH more often. I just bought some new socks and underwear. Everything IN the drawer will be pulled out, inspected and the old will be tossed to make room for the replacements.

T-shirts and blankets and a large heavy plastic tablecloth that I no longer use but are still serviceable are all going to be hung on the side of a dumpster tomorrow night. I know homeless people hang out there at night... I think I'll throw the yellow quilt on that too.

It's a never ending battle.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:28 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
The closest thing I could ever come to as a tiny house would be to have a 52 x72 pole barn with an apartment inside sitting on several acres. Maybe someday.
Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 05:12 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You are exactly right, Paula.

Until there is no discernible, possible use, don't throw it away. Re-use and re-purpose was the mantra of our frugal, depression-era mothers.

We are really all on automatic pilot, until we can bring ourselves to turn it off.

I have to remind myself that I don't have to keep things just in case I might need them someday, and that donating unused items in good condition to Goodwill is better than keeping closets full of those just-in-case items.

If someone else can use them, they are not wasted. If they are not worth someone else's consideration, it is okay to throw them out. Period.

It is difficult, but it can be done.

Maggie