Old 06-12-2010, 11:34 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1973 23' Safari
LULING , Louisiana
my mom and pop had an old airstream

Our friend Kay came to see our new to us camper, a 1973 Safari. In some people's eyes it was a mess, but when Kay saw it her eyes lit up and she said," I remember my mom and pop had an old Airstream". She smiled and told me how her dad loved it so. She only had a couple of questions. How can I help, and will it be ready for Albert Pike? She made all of our curtains so we could make the our annual trip.
I started camping in Albert Pike Arkansas a little over twenty years ago. I was invited by one of Kay's daughter's and son-in-laws. Over the years as I married and became a father we continued to camp every year with sometimes as many as 50 friends at a time. Some lived in Texas,some in Arkansas, and some in Louisiana. We camped primitive for up to two weeks. Old and young worked together in a type of compound. We ate together, played together, laughed and enjoyed life You see, Albert Pike had become a part of us all. I don't know if it's the comraderie and friendship we all hold so dear or the escape of our normal lives that kept us going back year after year but we did. Kay hadn't missed in over fifty years!! This years trip had been moved up on the calender a couple of weeks because of time conflicts so my family wasn't able to make it. More than twenty of our friends did make it.
Sadly and tragically Kay, her son Bruce, and his wife Debbie lost there lives in the recent floods at Albert. They were not alone for many more perished, including children. My heart and prayers go out to them all.

Hold the people you love close for you never know when God will call.
Aaron Champagne

aaumpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master
1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
So sorry to hear that you lost your friend and her family.

This tragedy is a little like what happen in Nashville.

People are referring to 100 year flood levels.

Arkansas & Tennessee are hilly and when one of these rain storms moves up against a hill/mountain, it rains until the cloud can lift and pass over.

wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:47 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
1969 21' Globetrotter
1953 25' Cruiser
Front Royal , Virginia
My prayers go out for the friends and families that lost their lives. I very sorry for the loss of your friends.
nick6930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 05:33 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member
1990 25' Excella
Currently Looking...
Glenburn , Maine
I'm really sorry for your loss. It is a damned shame that some of the aspects that made this such a popular venue are the same reasons too little warning got out to the campers in the valley. Your friends and their families took an especially large hit from this flood. I can only wish it were otherwise.

AIR 22828
Universal Address: 97XX5 QGG5Z
Longitude: -68.814136
Latitude: 44.894663
olddog299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:36 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member
2008 25' Safari SS SE
Colleyville , Texas
I have been watching the reports. So very sorry to hear of your loss. I am sure a lot of people on this forum are watching with sad hearts. Peace be with you .
In a perfect world, every home would have a dog and every dog would have a home.
LisaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:16 AM   #6
1972 25' Tradewind
Hammond , Louisiana
Thank you for sharing your beautiful story of Kay and her family. Yesterday we read that 3 people from Luling died in that terrible flash flood. Our hearts go out to all the the people that died in this flood.

Janie Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:12 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member
1973 23' Safari
LULING , Louisiana
I do appreciate the words of encouragement. Thanks to all who replied and to all who viewed. Just give a shout out to all the people you care about and let them know just that you care.

Blessings to all.
aaumpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:02 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member
1987 23' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
What a beautiful story, thanks for sharing it. What wonderful memories you must have of these great people. They will live on in your families' stories and memories.

other half of CampAz
Member 4CU

Straw Cottage
jwvastine is offline   Reply With Quote