Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum

Old 06-15-2012, 12:34 PM   #71
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
My father was an MP in the pacific, mainly the Phillipines after its liberation. My mother drove jeeps and trucks as a WAC here in the states. Jim

1984 Avion 30p 9.1 meter. 2006 Dodge 3500 cummins srw short bed crew cab.
avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:36 PM   #72
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My father was in broadcasting.

When the war was over he married my mother and moved to the Midwest to become a radio announcer.

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:58 PM   #73
Rivet Master
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
A great uncle belonged to the Devils' Brigade which stormed the Japanese-occupied Aleutian Islands in 1943.

The Japanese knew they were coming - shot-up their dry-docked subs and fled before the DBs got there. Army intelligence figured they were planning an attack on the Boeing plants in B.C. and Washington State.

My great uncle took this photo of one of their subs....

easily distracted by shiny objects
Fly at Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:17 PM   #74
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
My father was an engineer on a Dutch Navy supply ship. Stuck deep below decks of those unarmed U-Boat targets.

He taught me tools and mechanics, and the kind of self reliance that had allowed him to survive the war. He immigrated to America immediately after the war for which I am eternally grateful!

What he made sure I understood is what he lived through before the Nazis occupied his country. He warned me that politicians start wars and destroy nations not soldiers. The Nazis never occupied his hometown by force, they were welcomed as utopians by the politicians and intellectuals. He became American and was filled with patriotism for the Nation that had given its blood and men to save his.
2006 Safari SE FB
2000 F150 4.2L
2011 F250 6.2L
Raleigh, NC
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:29 PM   #75
Rivet Master
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
My father was a postal clerk at the Marine Base in San Diego for the duration. Not bad duty.
Hope is not a plan.
danlehosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:07 PM   #76
Rivet Idiot
1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Over Yonder , Florida
My now 93 year old father was an aircraft electrician stationed in Washington DC all thru the war.
AirHeadsRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:41 PM   #77
Rivet Master
2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
My father served in the Ryukyu Islands campaign around Okinawa, and saw firsthand the aftermath of Nagasaki. He eventually talked a little more openly about his experiences after I was in uniform. He departed this realm in 2004. I always respected and marveled what their generation endured.
2014 Flying Cloud 23FB
2009 BMW X5 Diesel
Whizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:58 PM   #78
2 Rivet Member
O'Fallon , Missouri
My Father commanded a section of Amphibious Trucks taking in Hi explosives to blow up beach obstacles on D-day Omaha beach. He was one of a few survivors. He spoke of it only once in 1966. When I saw "Saving Private Ryan" I was stunned by how the beach scene matched his telling of his experience as he was trapped on the beach that horrible day.

The 6th of June does not pass unnoticed in our family.
'08 25' Safari SE
'13 Ford EcoBoost
aswbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:53 PM   #79
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
A great uncle belonged to the Devils' Brigade which stormed the Japanese-occupied Aleutian Islands in 1943.

The Japanese knew they were coming - shot-up their dry-docked subs and fled before the DBs got there....
Fly at Night - my post about my folks was so long I had already put in too much -- but my Mom went to North Africa on the Empress of Scotland - with the 1st Special Service Force -- the Devil's Brigade -- half and half Canadians and U.S. She said they stuck to themselves, because "they'd all already seen combat." That was the Aleutians you noted! Their story is a great one!
OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:49 PM   #80
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
All right, All right, At Ease!

Sunday is Veterans Day. Remember. Remember all these fine folks on that day. Raise a glass, take 'em out to lunch. Say a prayer.

May God continue to bless the United States Of America.

That is all. Carry on!

CWO Jim & SFC Susan

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:12 PM   #81
4 Rivet Member
1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
My dad was a diesel mechanic with the 179th out of NE. He did the European Campaign in which I still have a few letters and then a short tour over in Korea.
He never lost his love for diesels as he would buy them at the old government auctions that used to exist down at Fort Devens MA back in the day and bring them home and barter with them. Low and behold he did switch one out on a small Airstream back in 1966 which he then traded that for one of the old Postal Buses which he converted to a camper.

Owning the Airstream allows many of us to reflect to a great American icon that has a relationship with WWII.

He died in 1969, I was young but left a strong impact on all of us as we all served in the Armed Forces where I completed 28 years of active service. I did get to tour the battlefields of Europe where he served during combat as I served there during the success of liberation in the early 80's.

The multiple other tours in Iraq, Afghanistan, Philippines and a few other sweet locations where I served I always reflected to how our WW II heroes and Nation survived during a very difficult time. To think that we had 5 million at one time serving in two major wars is amazing. They were truly heroes as the trips across the ocean to the Pacific were 30 day floats, compared to a 18 hour flight.

They set a high standard of discipline and commitment building a nation during and after wars that sustained us for many decades. The price of war is tough, but we do learn from it.

The new generation of heroes are here and we thank them for their commitment and sacrifice. I know that we will find a niche in our nation for their learned skills as history did for the WW II generation.

May God continue to bless this Nation and those serving keeping a watchful eye on them and their families. Pray for their safe return.

Happy Veterans Day.
SL4BLLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:20 PM   #82
Rivet Master
2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Dad was a boilermaker in Norfolk Naval Shipyard, he tried to enlist but he had lost his hearing while driving rivets on Navy ships and was turned down. He continued to repair ships for WW II, Korea, and Vietnam. He was a true patriot. I hope I was sucessful at changing my signature this time, I worked hard to become a past region president.
Keep the shiny side up.
WBCCI # 348
Past Region 3 President
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #83
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Happy Veterans Day

My dad was in the Army ROTC at the time of the Pearl Harbor invasion and found himself in a machine gun emplacement in the hills above Pearl Harbor AFTER the Invasion. During that time he was approached by an officer asking if any of them might be interested in joining a new branch of the service, the Air Force. He signed up and was sent to Florida for training. He went through flight school with Chuck Yeager. Yeager was assigned P-51s and sent to Europe. My dad flew a P-38 and spent the rest of the war years in the south pacific. He flew over 100 combat missions and while his plane took hits he survived without a scratch. From him I learned how important it is to take care of your machinery. To this day my cars and trailers are maintained to a level that he would be proud of. For him it was a matter of life or death, for me it is simply pride. Thanks Dad.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:11 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Petaluma , California
My dad was a tank commander in the Third Armor. Arrived at Omaha D Day + 6 and travelled across Normandy in a Sherman M3. Actually 3. As he used to say "The fisrst one got bent, the second one got a hole in her, (shell came through the turret and took off the breech of the 70MM gun and wen out the other side with a loud "clang" and he parked the third at the end of the war.

SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote