Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-09-2012, 07:12 PM   #81
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
My dad was a diesel mechanic with the 179th out of NE. He did the European Campaign in which I still have a few letters and then a short tour over in Korea.
He never lost his love for diesels as he would buy them at the old government auctions that used to exist down at Fort Devens MA back in the day and bring them home and barter with them. Low and behold he did switch one out on a small Airstream back in 1966 which he then traded that for one of the old Postal Buses which he converted to a camper.

Owning the Airstream allows many of us to reflect to a great American icon that has a relationship with WWII.

He died in 1969, I was young but left a strong impact on all of us as we all served in the Armed Forces where I completed 28 years of active service. I did get to tour the battlefields of Europe where he served during combat as I served there during the success of liberation in the early 80's.

The multiple other tours in Iraq, Afghanistan, Philippines and a few other sweet locations where I served I always reflected to how our WW II heroes and Nation survived during a very difficult time. To think that we had 5 million at one time serving in two major wars is amazing. They were truly heroes as the trips across the ocean to the Pacific were 30 day floats, compared to a 18 hour flight.

They set a high standard of discipline and commitment building a nation during and after wars that sustained us for many decades. The price of war is tough, but we do learn from it.

The new generation of heroes are here and we thank them for their commitment and sacrifice. I know that we will find a niche in our nation for their learned skills as history did for the WW II generation.

May God continue to bless this Nation and those serving keeping a watchful eye on them and their families. Pray for their safe return.

Happy Veterans Day.
SL4BLLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:20 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Dad was a boilermaker in Norfolk Naval Shipyard, he tried to enlist but he had lost his hearing while driving rivets on Navy ships and was turned down. He continued to repair ships for WW II, Korea, and Vietnam. He was a true patriot. I hope I was sucessful at changing my signature this time, I worked hard to become a past region president.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Happy Veterans Day

My dad was in the Army ROTC at the time of the Pearl Harbor invasion and found himself in a machine gun emplacement in the hills above Pearl Harbor AFTER the Invasion. During that time he was approached by an officer asking if any of them might be interested in joining a new branch of the service, the Air Force. He signed up and was sent to Florida for training. He went through flight school with Chuck Yeager. Yeager was assigned P-51s and sent to Europe. My dad flew a P-38 and spent the rest of the war years in the south pacific. He flew over 100 combat missions and while his plane took hits he survived without a scratch. From him I learned how important it is to take care of your machinery. To this day my cars and trailers are maintained to a level that he would be proud of. For him it was a matter of life or death, for me it is simply pride. Thanks Dad.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:11 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
My dad was a tank commander in the Third Armor. Arrived at Omaha D Day + 6 and travelled across Normandy in a Sherman M3. Actually 3. As he used to say "The fisrst one got bent, the second one got a hole in her, (shell came through the turret and took off the breech of the 70MM gun and wen out the other side with a loud "clang" and he parked the third at the end of the war.

- Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:20 PM   #85
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Sorry about the spelling. Pushed send to quick. They were Sherman M4's. I used to ask my dad what he did when encountering Tigers. He said "go the other way as quickly and quietly as you could with the gun pointed at him in case he noticed". He said that if you could take the Tigers with strategy and a few other Shermans if you could get a clear shot at the rear of the Tiger where the Armor was thinnest. If you came at'em head to head you were toast.

- Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:44 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My father was in broadcasting, left the army after the War to marry my mother and work in radio in central Illinois.

We are celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary in Paris, doing a tour of Normandy on Wednesday. Doug's uncle was in the Battle of the Bulge, D-Day +3.

Thanks to all who served.

Doug & Maggie
Old 11-10-2012, 05:03 AM   #87
2 Rivet Member

Jenaz, Switzerland , Graubunden
Hello from England

Well my parents were young children both in Coventry during ww2, it was blizt! Fire bombed beyond recognition. As young children they were evacuated and families became separated. Both my parents have missing parents and siblings.....as many war kids have!

All I can say is im grateful to have been raised in peacetime! And cannot even begin to imagine the fear and pain many have been through and still endure.

Open a door or carry someones shopping, maybe evn pay a visit to an old relative, they are legends!

As a child I spent many hours next to my home at a royal british legion home where ex servicemen live...many without legs etc...I have listened to many a miraculous story there!

All these people are my heros...real heros!

Got any gum chum!

When your going through hell, keep going! W.Churchill.
Uppla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:58 AM   #88
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
My father, now 93, was a Lieutenant JG and spent most of the war stationed in Florida flying up the coast daily, through the Carolinas on Coast Security (sub-search) with the Navy. He got sea duty at the end of the war, when He sailed on the USS John D. Berry APD 29 (A recommissioned DD248) to the south Pacific where the Destroyer was assigned "radar picket fence" duty). She was hit by a kamakaze in May 1945, and through a series of events, now rests on the sea bed. The bottom picture was how she was trimmed out when Dad sailed on her.

Destroyer Photo Index DD-248 / APD-29 USS BARRY

USS Barry (DD-248) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He had met Mom , now 92, on a blind date sometime before he left and looked her up while an out patient at Great Lakes Naval Hospital....and the rest, as they say, is history.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #89
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
Wwii

My Boss's Dad served in the Army, Big Red 1 Co. C , 18th Reg. As a replacement during the battle of the Bulge. He ended up as a guard in the trails of Nuremburg! He (Jeff) is always looking for more information on his father, Robert Krachun, he served in 45-46. John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	another-angle-names-875.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	172429  
moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote