Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2002, 09:46 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
My best friend...

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
- Will Rogers

A man and his dog were walking along a road. The man was enjoying the scenery, when it suddenly occurred to him that he was dead. He remembered dying, and that the dog walking beside him had been dead for years. He wondered where the road was leading them.
After a while, they came to a high, white, stone wall along one side of the road. It looked like fine marble. At the top of a long hill, it was broken by a tall arch that glowed in the sunlight.
When he was standing before it, he saw a magnificent gate in the arch that looked like mother of pearl, and the street that led to the gate looked like pure gold. He and the dog walked toward the gate. He saw a man at a desk to one side. When he was close enough, he called out, "Excuse me, where are we?" "This is Heaven, sir," the man answered. "Wow! Would you happen to have some water?" the man asked. "Of course, sir. Come right in, and I'll have some ice water brought right up." The man gestured, and the gate began to open. "Can my friend," gesturing toward his dog, "come in, too?" the traveler asked. "I'm sorry, sir, but we don't accept pets." The man thought a moment, turned back toward the road and continued on with his dog.
After another long walk, and at the top of another long hill, he came to a dirt road that led through a farm gate that looked as if it had never been closed. There was no fence. As he approached the gate, he saw a man inside, leaning against a tree and
reading a book. "Excuse me!" he called to the reader. "Do you have any water?" "Yeah, sure, there's a pump over there." The man pointed to a place that couldn't be seen from outside the gate. "Come on in." "How about my friend here?" the traveler gestured to the dog. "There should be a bowl by the pump." They went through the gate, and sure enough, there was an old fashioned hand pump with a bowl beside it. The traveler filled the bowl and took a long drink himself, then he gave some to the dog. When they were full, he and the dog walked back toward the man who was standing by the tree waiting for them.
"What do you call this place?" the traveler asked. "This is Heaven," was the answer. "Well, that's confusing," the traveler said..."The man down the road said that was Heaven, too?"
"Oh, you mean the place with the gold street and pearly gates? Nope That's Hell." "Doesn't it make you mad for them to use your name like that?" "Nope, but I can see how you might think so. We're just happy that they screen out the folks who'll leave their best friends behind."

-The Hunt
Writer: Earl Hamner Jr.
Director: Harold Schuster
3rd Season of the Twilght Zone
A hunter and his faithful dog are drowned while chasing a raccoon, and confront a gatekeeper who implies that he is St. Peter and that Heaven lies inside. CAST: Arthur Hunnicutt, Titus Moede, Charles Seel, Dexter Dupont, Jeanette Nolan, Orville Sherman, Robert Foulk.

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 06:41 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

On a similar note

When I first bought my trailer ... one of my convincing points with my wife was, that in the worst case scenario, she could bury me in my trailer when I died. Why the hell pay 5+ thousand dollars
for a casket, when I would be so much happier (and its roomier)
to be burried in my trailer.

Hope it will be a long time till this is an issue.

My trailer is my friend, I guess it wouldn't be fair to the rest of my airstream brothers and sisters to take it with me when I go.

Just think of the size of the burial plot! Not a hand dig job!

DMC
airstreamcaravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 08:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Origin

Bobby,

That was an episode from the old B&W Twilight Zone. It made me cry, since we had just lost Caesar when I saw it.

It's so true, I don't want to go to heaven if I can't take my dogs. Oh, and Brett too!
Old 10-11-2002, 10:52 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
I intend to be busy with 7 Boxers and 3 mutts waiting for me, all cherished family members. One that came to MarilynW and me when we were 19 years old. He shared his love with us for 17 years.

I can't wait !!

-BobbyWright

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
Old 10-11-2002, 11:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Funny how a simple post can make your eyes fog and water up. I pictured my long gone black lab, Jack, wearing my college fraternity jersey and sunglasses. He looked like a natural. I had trained him to retrieve doves during the hunting season in TN. some 26 years ago. I worked the night shift while attending the last 2 yrs. of college and he would meet me at the front door eager to play when I arrived home. I would spend 20 minutes working on his retrieving skills before driving to the campus or taking a cat nap before going to a 10 a.m. class. Kids in the neighborhood would come by and borrow him because he liked to play catch and retrieve. This apparently is what did him in because he had heart failure and died while doing what he liked best. I never felt I could go through the pain again while I knelt next to him and cried.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 11:36 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Craig,

I know exactly how you felt. Caesar had bone cancer, and got to the point where we couldn't keep him comfortable. Brett and I both held him when they gave him the injection. We just watched his life slip away. We both have 130 lb. holes in our hearts.

If we hadn't already had Windsor, I'm sure we wouldn't have gotten another dog. It was too painful.

Now that it's been 6 months, I'm glad we have Windsor. But I dread the day when his time comes.
Old 10-11-2002, 11:52 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Edie,
Jack and I were together during a period of time when I was struggling to keep my grades up in college while far away from home. This was just before I met the woman who would become my wife and give me 3 more boys and a little girl. He will always hold a place in my heart at a time I needed comforting and someone to show they loved me by wagging his tail and getting the tennis ball to play catch. I guess I forgot to mention that he was trained to ride on a rubber mat I placed on the gas tank of my Honda 750 motorcycle. When he reached 90 lbs., we had to stop that foolishness. I think he wanted to drive instead of me.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 01:46 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Man's best buddy...

Hi ALL....
Abt 8 years ago, we lost our best "pup", he was almost 13, an one of the family, we said NO more...but U kn...there was something missing in our lives, an after almost 2 years, we had to fill the gap, as it were...NOT to replace 'ole Ben, we could NEVER do that but to give an old mutt a good home...jus as we had done with Ben...well we went all over, took best part of a week to find our latest "pup", a yellow labrador, he's 6 now, after his stroke, early in the summer, we thought the worst...and had to decide his fate...I don't or rather DID'NT believe in miracles, with his sad brown eyes begging me to help him I brought him home from the dog-doctor's...an I stayed up all night with him, with his head on my knee...I guess I kinda fell asleep...I heard a whining, NOT Toby's...one from the past...it sounded like Ben's noise, yet he was gone....and I woke in a start...an Toby was standing at the door, asking to be let out...today Toby still gets out of breath, if we walk too far...he is always by my side, an loves me to bits...
No matter what kind of day I have had, at least I know I'll get a BIG welcome when I get home...mind you it always costs me a few cookies...Chris.....
Old 10-11-2002, 02:40 PM   #9

Thumbs up

Thank you, Bobby, for this thread........ I just love my dogs, and will always have at least one to share my life...... Look on the bright side, folks, the Good Lord decided that they should live only 15 or so years so that we may know MANY of our canine friends throughout our LONG lives.
Old 10-12-2002, 08:27 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
1966 26' Overlander
1965 24' Tradewind
Rapid City , so. dak.
Qui me amat...

....amet er canum meum.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kipling.gif
Views:	572
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	655  
carmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002, 11:00 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

I think there is a Buddhist saying (or perhaps Hindu) that goes something like this:

We will be measured in Heaven by how we treat animals here on Earth.
eraffety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002, 02:57 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
My dog must have doggy-aluminitus. Every time the airstream door is open, he gets in, runs to the front and assumes his position for the drive. When I work on it, he will hang out inside as long as I do, and seems to enjoy riding in it as much or more than we do.
He has been a great companion on our trips this past year.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002, 08:22 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Canine-Aluminitus

Alan,

Dega (sp?) must have infected Windsor with canine-aluminitus when they were together last April. Windsor does the same thing - loves the motorhome and going places.

Windsor was funny the morning after spending the night in the MH earlier this week. We got out in the morning and he was looking around. He seemed upset that we were still at home.
Old 10-15-2002, 12:16 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Tin dog...

Greetings ALL...
Can't work out how U Guys do it, open my car door 4 my dog...he puts his tail 'tween his legs an scarpers...I guess he only been in the car a few times...and each one of them was to take him to the vets for injections or his claws seen to...Oh boy !!!...am I DREADING thursday...YEP...he gotta go have his kennel cough trearment, b4 he can go stay at " PUPVILLE "...
lmao...it's NO-GOOD... I'll try to buy an ALLY car next...don't suppose any of U Guys r passing by my way on thursday...LOL

Edie G....Hav'nt 4got abt you...!!!
Take care now...Chris.....
Old 10-15-2002, 01:05 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Can't work out how U Guys do it, open my car door 4 my dog...he puts his tail 'tween his legs an scarpers
Chris...the trick is what the dog thinks you're going to do once you are in the car. You need to throw in some trips to the dog park or your equivalent.

Would you willingly get in the car knowing you were going to have a needle stuck in you or stuff squirted in your nose when you arrived at your destination? Well, your dog's not stupid either. You need to take him on a date once in a while - keep him guessing!!

BTW, I keep a nail file for my dog on the end table in the living room. I file his nails a little bit whenever I watch TV. I haven't cut his nails in months.
Old 10-16-2002, 10:37 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Have legs...

Hi ALL...
Once agn GREETINGS 2 U ALL...
....Thing is I only live 50 yards from a HUGE field and MILES of woodland, our Toby is WELL fed, so the exercise is a MUST , he says, once his nose hits a smell...he can b away in no time...an my poor little legs can't catch him... , I guess it's jus PUPPY LOVE...lol.
I won't say he IS spoilt...he was RUINED from day one...
bless him, yep U right abt the vets...I would'nt like it either !!!!...
Take care now...Chris.....
Old 10-16-2002, 12:44 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Edie- good memory on my dog's name! Yes he loves that Airstream. In fact he will go with us this weekend to the North Ga Mountains.
Chris- I would put the dog in the car, give him a biscuit or snack treat, then let him out. Do that a few times, then take him for a short ride before you give the biscuit or treat. Soon he will love the car. More than you want him too...
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 03:11 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Taking the dog to to the Vet....

I have never had any problem getting Sarah, our current Boxer to the Vet's. Never could figure out why she always got excited when we pull up and go inside until I found out....

When we first got her and she was under one year old, we would board her there when we went on vacation. They also have a kennel. Well what we found out was they liked her so much, they let her roam around the clinic during the day behind the counter and the exam rooms instead of keeping her in the run all day. Then the Vet was taking her home with him at night as he just grew to like her and he had young kids at home who loved playing with the never out of energy "Boxer Dog".

-BobbyWright

Old 10-16-2002, 05:14 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

boxers

Bobby,

Are boxers the best dogs or what? Our boxer Buddy is the most loyal, dignified, intelligent and playful dog we have ever had! Keeps our yellow lab from spending the day sleeping, and absolutely loves the A/S! I pray that he has a longer time with us than our fist boxer, Dempsey, who will always be the dog to which all others are measured.

Camping without dogs is somehow lacking. We kenneled once, and will never do it again, its just not the same!
cactushead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 08:28 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Re-Boxers.......

Cactushead...
U sure must B one lucky Guy...my Sister once had a BOXER,,,until he PUNCHED her on the nose...lol...only joking...her mutt BRUCE...ate the inside of her car...silly girl left some chocolate in the glove box...so 'ole Brucey Boy decided he would help himself....Oh a little bit of plastic and wood, did'nt stop him...
...I jus hope he ENJOYED it....as well as the gear knob, head rests, cushions, seats...to B honest Guys...there was'nt much he left intact....well we ALL know how LONG a LADIES 5 minutes are.
A very lovable dog...just STUPID...Chris.....