Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-16-2005, 09:37 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Post My Avion Story

After retiring two years ago, I became interested in buying a camper. My usual method of operation is to research the heck out of a subject before I jump in. I don't like loosing money--and I'm attracted by ventures and hobbies where I can test the waters and exit without loosing bucks if my interest level dosen't hold. Among campers, Airstreams stood out by far because of their long term popularity and market strenght. I knew that I could buy and hold an Airstream for several years without taking a beating.

Before buying, I wanted to take a few months to learn the Airstream market. My focus was on a late 70's or early 80's, 25 foot unit. I spent hours and hours on the net, and in the various newspapers--and I logged alot of miles. I inspected several units, and I learned about the market.

During this process, I looked at a couple Avions--AND I WAS IMPRESSED!! Avions are all aluminum too. The construction is alittle different and they weight a couple hundred pounds more than Airstream--but the quality seems higher. The cabinetry is the same as in fine furniture, the construction is quality throughout, and the exterior is very attractive. From a valuation standpoint, they are about the same as Airstream.

In the comparison, Avion came up short with Airstream in name recognition, cult following, and commercial-internet support. Although Avion does have a few good internet sites for information, there is nothing like Airstreamforums.com. Never-the-less, I decided to switch my search to Avion.

The search for a good valued Avion wasn't easy either. I spent another year looking. Finally, I bought a '79 30 foot Avion in fair condition. The unit was too big for us--but I was "chomping at the bit", and bought it anyway. I worked on it for three or four months and fell in love with that baby--but it was still too big and I kept my eyes open for another. In November I located a '76 26 foot unit in North Carolina--and I bought that baby too. I hauled her all the way back to Minnesota and she is now sitting in a barn waiting for the snow to melt. Then, in January, I located a beautiful '86 25 foot Avion in Texas--and I bought that baby too! This one is perfect for us. Although I am now the proud owner of three Avions, I'll probably keep only one, as I'll sell the other two next summer.

Avion owners do have a club called the "Avion Travelcade". There are many devoted members but the membership is small compared to the Airstream clubs--and the members don't seem to be as fervent about "their babies" as the Airstreamers are. Sometimes I think about taking the nameplate off my Avion and installing an "Airstream" nameplate--which might enable me to attend some of your functions. But then I have the realization that the charade would end when a sober Airstreamer would recognize that the quality of my unit was higher than the rest of the units.

Stay warm and have fun!

JZ from Minnesota
Zettervall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 09:55 PM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Congrats on your find. I think you're right - Avions are darn nice campers. I looked at a few myself, including a 30+foot behemoth with cherrywood carpentry inside. My budget at the time did not allow for it, though. We eventually settles on a 1971 Airstream.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Avions rock.
The problem is that they did not have the cult following that Airstreams still have today.
They also did not make many of the smaller ones much past 1973. I have not seen any 20 footers that are newer then, say, 1970. Correct me if I am wrong.
I would love to find a smaller, newer Avion.
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 07:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
avion calling

I snapped this at the Alligator Point FL KOA several weeks ago. I wish I could have seen the interior but I never caught the owner in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	avion1.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	10993  

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 07:26 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Wilmington , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zettervall
Sometimes I think about taking the nameplate off my Avion and installing an "Airstream" nameplate--which might enable me to attend some of your functions. But then I have the realization that the charade would end when a sober Airstreamer would recognize that the quality of my unit was higher than the rest of the units.

Stay warm and have fun!

JZ from Minnesota

Come to the Midwest Rally! "A sober Airstreamer" may not exist to blow your cover. Te he

I've only been to forum rallies - we let even the tenters join the fun. Aside from pointing and laughing at them, they're treated with the same respect as everyone else......but they are expected to serve drinks when a true airstreamer snaps their fingers.

I would love to see your Avion! (or Avions if you can find some way to transport all 3). Maybe you can be talked into joining the Midwest Rally in June? I'll have a tenter bring you a cold one. And perhaps after a tour of how the better half live, we'll all be converted to a smaller, more elite cult of Avions.
hotLAVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 08:11 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Exclamation There are only two types of people

Airstreamers and future Airstreamers.

Just because you got an Avion - well THREE Avions - doesn't mean you won't fall head over heels for a CCD or something else.

If you see me on the road, honk! I'll gladly consider you to be a close cousin! Anyone who has bought THREE Avions has all of the earmarks of an Airstream Addict! (misspelling deliberate).

Welcome, Tin Lizzie
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 11:28 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

You are correct in that Avion didn't make many small units after 1972. They started production on 23' units in 1976 until 1979. After that, they had a few model years producing 26' and 25'units. The last of those were made in 1987. Avion stopped making the silver units in 1990.

The small units are much harder to find than the 30' plus sizes.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:31 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Thank you Hot Lava for the invite. I just might take you up on the offer!
Old 03-17-2005, 11:40 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

To: Tin Lizzie

I went to the RV Show at the Minneapolis Convention Center a few weeks ago. Airstreams were set up on display. I sat in a CCD for a long time (just dreaming). Finally they threw me out when they discovered that I had very little money.

CCD's are great, but they cost SO MUCH!!!
Old 03-17-2005, 02:11 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
couple more pics

Taken at the Flywheelers Rally, Sarasota FL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	avion2.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	10998   Click image for larger version

Name:	avion3.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	10999  

photography
Old 03-17-2005, 03:28 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Carol:

Those Avion photos looked great--especially the polished one.

What is the "Flywheeler's Rally"?
Old 03-17-2005, 04:12 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zettervall
Carol:

Those Avion photos looked great--especially the polished one.

What is the "Flywheeler's Rally"?
It's a group of antique engine enthusiasts. Here's a link. http://www.floridaflywheelers.org/ They had so many different kinds and sizes of engines from minature to a size to fill a building, I was only a few miles away at the Airstream Rally and wanted to check out the Tin Can Tourists units.

I have never seen Avions before, or if I did, I may have thought they were Airstreams. It was the silver and shape that drew me to look closer. I would love to see pictures of your units. Any idea what you might be selling your other smaller Avion for?

photography
Old 03-17-2005, 05:06 PM   #13
Somewhere between NY & LA

go ahead, you know you want to...

There's a nice little Avion for sale right now. I think you need four!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=50063

1963 Globetrotter
Photos at: https://community.webshots.com/user/lotek112
Lotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 08:51 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
That's actually a pretty nice Avion on Ebay.
The yellow paint in the bathroom doesn't excite me, but the rest is nice. The dinette in front is, too...but it makes it feel smaller than if you have the gaucho there.
I had a trailer that was nearly the same - a '67 T-22....the only difference was that it had a front gaucho. Plenty of storage throughout, and the trailer's long enough to handle well, even with a vehicle that didn't have a really long wheelbase.
I currently have a '62 Avion T-20 and a '71 Avion V-25....along with my '56 Safari. I agree, Airstream doesn't have anything on Avion when it comes to quality.
And hey Lotek - the trailers are all on Long island, where I live! In fact, I'm no more than 7 miles from you right now!
-Chuck
funchucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 09:56 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
My Avion Story

The first Avion I ever saw was a 1958 model. I would have bought it, but I was one day too late at this dealership. I have owned 9 Avions and am now on the 4th Airstream. Accumulating the "silver trailers" is an affliction.

Kevin
64 Bambi II 17 ft
72 Ambassador 29
79 Argosy minuet 6.7 metre
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 10:21 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotek
Avion for sale right now. I need fouthink There's a nice little you r!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=50063
Lotek:
My wife is not a camper (yet), and I think she would kill me if I bought another unit.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:34 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
It's a group of antique engine enthusiasts. Here's a link. http://www.floridaflywheelers.org/ They had so many different kinds and sizes of engines from minature to a size to fill a building, I was only a few miles away at the Airstream Rally and wanted to check out the Tin Can Tourists units.

I have never seen Avions before, or if I did, I may have thought they were Airstreams. It was the silver and shape that drew me to look closer. I would love to see pictures of your units. Any idea what you might be selling your other smaller Avion for?
At this time, I haven't decided for sure if I'm going to sell my '76 26'Avion. After I pulled it back from North Carolina, I put it in a barn and I haven't looked at it since. It's cold here in Minnesota and we're still in a state of hibernation.
But--I'm greatful for your interest.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:35 AM   #18
Rivet Master

I have found that the CCD's are a "love it" or a "hate it" situation.
I am the "hate it" type.
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote