Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-10-2017, 10:16 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Music to LIVE For.... while Boondocking

The antenna on the Airstream is about as good as using a feather pillow as a hammer. When out of the City... radio reception sucks. This is from personal experience in the Rocky Mountains. This I will replace with a 30" whip, and find one that will thread properly on this PieceOS Airstream hardware.

My favorite and most inspiring music Boondokcing is listening to my John Denver CD's or off of my wife's IPod. Maybe Bob Dylan is a distant second... but John Denver... makes remote campsites just that much more... wonderful.

Had you to choose ONE ARTIST... and a backup, whom do you find soothing and relaxing when Boondocked, or just laying back camped at the Lake with company?
Old 09-10-2017, 12:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Yanni or the Music from Cosmos

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 12:47 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Tossup between Chuck Mangione and David Sanborn. Either one as primary, the other as backup.

Don't need vocals when camping; instrumentals fit the mood better.
Old 09-10-2017, 01:46 PM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The wonder of the modern age is that there really isn't a need to pick just one anymore. A phone or even a USB stick will hold more music than I can listen to in a couple of weeks. It's insane. Satellite radio subscription? why? (yes, weather channel is on channel something ...).

Music at breakfast is different than music after sundown. Tough to find one artist that covers both bases. Jefferson Airplane works in the morning. Joanie Mitchell works in the evening .....Glad I don't have to pick just one. Probably go with the calmer stuff if I had to pick.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 01:50 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
Amos Lee.
Old 09-10-2017, 04:27 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
When reception is bad I break out the Gibson. Of course I play mostly Country.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 06:21 PM   #7
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Sinatra. Need I say more?

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 06:43 PM   #8
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Wow that's a tough one. I'm kinda like Bob in that when anyone ever asks me who is my "favorite" I have to tell them I really don't have a favorite. I have many. I guess I'd go along with the non-vocal suggestion and it would have to be someone with a large discography. Probably John Coltrane or Miles Davis for the main one, or Chet Baker, could get a lot of instumental and vocals that way. (see I told you this would be hard). Maybe backup would be Dexter Gordon but then I really like Dexter Gordon and I am already feeling guilty for putting him in as a backup. But then what about some vocals, say Neil Young? He is one of the few I like that are still alive. Then maybe balance that out with one of my dead woodwind players for backup. Or maybe Neil would be backup.
This is all wrong, maybe I would say all or none. It would be a bad thing, to leave all those behind and get burned out on just one.

This is too depressing, I can't play. Sorry.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:44 PM   #9
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
A good reason why I never say I have a favorite is for fear they will get me a "Best of" recording.
Old 09-16-2017, 05:37 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
I like a variety of music, but if I could only pick one that I might be able to listen to many times without getting sick of it, it would be Celtic music featuring the penny whistle and pipes. Two of my favorite collections in that genre are "Tis the Season, Celtic Christmas," and "Celtic Moods."
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 07:24 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
Leo Kottke on 12 string

Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 07:53 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Truckee , California
I'm definitely going to listen to Rocky Mtn. High when I hit Colorado in two weeks. Most of the time I listen to various mix tracks. My favorite is a blend of Tropical/Latin beats that reminds me I'm on vacation.
bganso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 08:02 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
St Clair County , Michigan
James Taylor

While not my favorite of all time, but definitely in my top 30, James Taylor always reminds me of summer, relaxing by the pool or at the lake, sunshine and warm evenings. Songs like Going to Carolina, Sweet Baby James, Walking Man, etc. make me close my eyes and drift off to another place.

There's a song that they sing when they take to the highway
a song that they sing when they take to the sea
a song that they sing of their home in the sky,
maybe you can believe it if it helps you to sleep
but singing works just fine for me

So, goodnight you moon light ladies,
rock-a-bye sweet baby James.
Deep greens and blues are the colors I choose,
won't you let me go down in my dreams?
And rock-a-bye sweet baby James
TR Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 11:26 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Westlake Village , California
That's a tough one. Like asking what is your favorite food or shirt while camping. Depends on time, mood, weather or company..

With Morning and coffee....maybe just nature...,
Afternoon, more nature or rarely perhaps some low JT or well recorded acoustic Instumental (as some mentioned., vocals not necessary).

Evening, break out the wine and guitar or low background volume new country or bluegrass or something less busy, but will have to figure that one out...then and there.

Hope the neighbors music and whatever works for them.... stays low....unless better than ours !
Vantair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 06:39 AM   #15
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Well I can't stand the radio cause there is way too much talkin and not enough music and, as I've said before, recorded talkin makes my head wanna explode.

So I don't care about reception, I just have some USB sticks with several thousand tunes on em. If I had to pick just one artist, it would have to be Jerry Garcia. Cause he can gimme bluegrass, rock, folk or jazz whenever I need it and his catalog is so huge I don't think I'd get bored. But I'd be sad I couldn't listen to more bluegrass. I would miss Jerry Douglas and David Grisman and Bill Monroe and Del McCoury and Alison Krauss and Tony Rice and Doc and Merle Watson and Joe Craven and Ralph Stanley and I would also miss Stephane Grappelli and Ray Charles and a million other folks.

Luckily, it don't seem like I need to make that choice.
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 07:40 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
2017 23' International
2014 Interstate Coach
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Yeah, it's really a problem with the radio, we have it sometimes too during our travellings in some areas However in our case it isn't a huge problem because on road we prefer to listen to our favourite music and we often mix various songs into our own radio
We have really many favourite music bands so it's easier for me to name just our favourite genres... We adore darkwave, rock, alternativem synth-pop, post-rock, post-punk, shoegaze, different gothic and electronic bands
Xymox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:45 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Pink Floyd.
Oddly, I wasn't a fan when they were popular. I discovered them recently.

If I'm driving, nothing beats books on CD. A good book from the library and the miles melt away.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:27 AM   #18
blackdog06

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 23' Flying Cloud
Tuttle , Oklahoma
Balsam Range

...and the Boxcars and Flatt Lonesome
Blackdog06 is offline   Reply With Quote