Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2012, 02:03 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Murder Charges Finally Laid - Missing Motorhome Couple

Two years ago a couple from Alberta Canada went missing enroute to B.C. The police found their burned-out motorhome, then the toad (at another location). There was a suspect, but charges were not laid until today. I have been following this case, since I plan on taking the same route eastbound this summer - with some degree of admitted nervousness.

Police have finally charged the suspect with charges of first-degree (capital) murder.

I think it's important to watch this clip; another RVer took note of the still-intact motorhome because the driver did not practice the usual campsite set-up protocol. I think this is something we can relate to - is something we would observe. Even though I am relatively new to RV'g, I have noticed that other RVers are vigilent - look out for one another.

Quite a sad story. I suppose the family have gleaned some "closure" -
although I think that tends to be an over-used noun. It does not dismiss the grief. And now the family still has to endure the trial and its outcome.
I feel really bad for the couple's grandchild. The couple were enroute to B.C. to take their daughter and granddaughter camping.

Here is today's update.
Travis Vader charged in McCann deaths - Edmonton - CBC News

Happy, safe camping, and let's continue to be vigilent - look out for one another.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
A very sad and dreadful story.

All it takes is for one lunatic out there to cross your path, and life can end or be changed forever.

It seems the moral of this story is---if it doesn't feel right, it isn't. Do what you can.

Maggie
Old 04-24-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Woodland Hills , California
The entire world is a much different place than it was even 10 years ago. We must all be on the lookout for lunatics who will cross our path from time to time. Kenny
kennyp315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
I remember reading Bill Bryson's The Lost Continent and thinking how right he was when he described North America as being so big that in it you could lose anything, permanently, if you wanted to. For people out traveling it really is easy to disappear, intentionally or otherwise, and to never be seen again, which is what's happened to this unfortunate couple. I'm really pleased that the RCMP have charged someone over this disappearance and assumed murder but it should remind us all that we need to be vigilant, to take reasonable precautions and to look out for our fellow travelers when we're out in our Airstreams.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
One correction... first degree murder is not a capital offence in Canada... as there is no death penalty...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:27 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
AIR members have ample opportunities to discuss self defense measures in dedicated threads. Moderators have removed several posts that pulled the topic sideways into "is/is not" arguments about guns. Guns have no known relevance to the crime or location noted.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:32 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
Thanks for the update, Fly at Night. I hadn't heard Vader had been charged. Poor couple.

Lisa

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:58 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
(West) Seattle , Washington
Thanks for the posting, probably something I needed to know about since my mind has been focused on the how to go, where to go and what to do.
Frank.
AirSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:09 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Chico , California
Terribly sad story. It gives me pause, but makes me thankful for this community. As a newbie, I appreciate all of the common and not-so common sense suggestions I've received. If we all look out for each other, we are in much better shape than going it alone.
bikemom is offline   Reply With Quote