Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-23-2007, 02:37 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Msrp $838,460 ????

What the ?????

Just saw an add in "Highways" that had a MH with an MSRP of 838,460 !!!! And it was an '06!

What are these people thinking?

I was at CW and walked thru all the trailers and MH's on display. There was NOT ONE that whispered to me, much less spoke to me like SilverToy does. And all the MH's looked to be set up for 2 people... ?!? Multiple slides all over, mirrors a million, Flat screens front and rear,

ITS A CAMPER FOLKS!!!!!

What are they thinking?? I don't get it.

Thanks for the space to vent.... Back to the normal AS stuff.

Peace

Axel
SilverToy
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:41 PM   #2
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
Have to agree with you...
that's not a camper, it's a house!
BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Must come with one of those blond trophies and some twinnkle lights in the ceiling
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Camper, NOT Real Estate!

Not sure where you all live, and what property values are where you live... but,

for $838,460

I can BUY about 40 acres, with a 3200sq.ft all brick house, with a barn and a shop with RV bay inside, with a 20 minute commute to Albuquerque....

AND a brand new Burb to do it in.

Yikes!!!

Actually saw 3 Class A's today, Mandalay had a Caddy toad, Newmar had a Hummer toad, BlueBird had a AMG Benz on a triple axle chromed trailer. ALL were in the WalMart lot sleeping off ? How can someone that has nearly a million (or more!!! BB/Benz) in rolling stock have the least desire to park it in a WalMart lot????!!!!

Seriously, what are they thinking? I don't have a clue.

Axel
SilverToy
Old 01-23-2007, 03:03 PM   #5
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Here you go: $1,030,00.00. Marathon Coach works and this wasn't the most expensive either!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
What does it look like on the road ?

I can guarentee it doesn't look like that when it goes down the road... Marcel Marcau couldn't move anywhere in that rig when all the slides are in. If you want a showpiece place, then get one on Central Park. Not the RV park.

Then again, what is that saying about a fool and his/her money?

It's like this for me. I spend about 8 hours a day in my bedroom - asleep!! I don't need a cherry headboard and crystal chendellier and tiffany lamps and etc....

I would rather have that Cherry in the kitchen, the crystal chandelier in the dining room, and tiffany lamp in the living room. You know, where I actually spend time with the family!

That 1million MH looks like P. Diddy's place in Vegas... Do they really want to see themselves in 35 mirrors? Guess it has some advantages for certain things, but what do you do with the other 23 hours and 55 minutes?

I am resolved, the next occation I see one of these megaMH's with an owner around, I'll go ask for a tour and ask them what their use experience is like. I'll wager I get more enjoyment out of my SilverToy than they do out of their show palace... I'll report back!

Still not feeling the 800K expendature! But then that's me.

Axel
SilverToy
Old 01-23-2007, 03:54 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
If anyone watched Barrett-Jackson this weekend you will have seen that those with money, lots of money, are not afraid to spend it lavishly and foolishy on cars that then become virtually undriveable because of the insurance/theft/damage risks. Trophy cars for their garages I guess.

As for the expensive MoHo's I can see that folks who live in luxury all the time would want to replicate that in some way in their camping if they can afford to do so. We do have friends who sold a unique campground on a beautiful lake and did "extremely well" as they would put it, and put a bit of that money into a large dollar MoHo. It is nicer than my house inside. Their reasoning was they will be living in it for the next several years (so far they are in their third or fourth year so they are doing what they said) touring all over North America - wherever they decide to go next they just head out and do it. They wanted to do it in luxury and they are. They often stay at Walmarts because it's convenient and safer than pulling into rest stops, and they do a lot of their shopping at Wallyworld. I personally thought they could get the same camping experience out of a unit that cost 1/3 of what they paid but it's like picking a car - some people pick the VW Jetta, others the Benz and they both have their reasons. These people know camping, were in hundreds of trailers and MoHo's over the years in the campground and decided to go upscale. The next time we see them (June) I will ask them if they feel after this long that they have gotten the value for their dollar out of their MoHo.

What I did find interesting was their interest in the Flying Cloud when we got it. They had seen a lot of trailers in their campground life but said the one thing they saw a lot of was someone buying an Airstream and coming back year after year with the same rig where others would come with a different rig every couple of years, often a new TV and trailer bought close together. They had some people who had come to the campground for over 20 years and still with their same Airstream. They couldn't think of another brand that one owner had used for even half that although they did have many folks who came every year for over twenty years. They both mentioned it seemed the Airstream did not show it's age so people weren't feeling forced to trade up to the newest look and they also seemed to weather the years better - perhaps because there was more pride of ownership but that would be a best guess.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 04:29 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Edgewater Park , New Jersey
If you had that kind of money you'd spend it too rather than just give Uncle Sam half and look at the rest. My boss just bought a Newell for about 1.3M. Don't blame him a bit! He probably pays 10 times that a year in taxes.
FiveOJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 04:37 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Well we had a Marathon that we really liked. The price 2,450,000.00 was fine with us as it really was a pretty Moho. What we didn't care for was that it was hard to boondock in. That baby really didn't enjoy a dirt road at all. Those dirt roads really messed up the four slide outs. On the other hand we looked great when parked at Walmart.

(Tongue so far in my cheek it's coming out my ear.)

We have been in a few Marathons and they are very lavish and one of them was even tastefull. I appreciate what they are and the level of comfort and convienence but its just not my style. I'd feel foolish having to dress for dinner so I cook Hot dogs.

So like all things. Get what makes you happy and be happy in it.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 04:41 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
And unlike your home, those bad boys are depreciating - not appreciating!
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 05:02 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
A Little Perspective

Hi Gang!

Allow me to enlighten this thread from my rather unique perspective. These mega motorhomes are the bulk of my service business here in SW Florida. Most of the folks have nothing but time and LOTS of money on their hands! In one RV resort (not your average RV park), the spaces are all individually owned and measure 55' X 125' or larger!!!! They are now selling for minimum of $250,000 up to $600,000. THAT'S JUST FOR THE LOT!!!!!

I would say that a good 40% of the 300 spaces in this 'resort' are filled with Newells, Prevosts and Bluebirds....with the rest having hi-end Newmar Essex, Monaco Signature and Executives and Tiffen Allegro Bus and Zephyrs on them. These coaches start at $400K and some of the Prevosts are now approaching $2million. Very few are really 'full-timing' in them with no other house or real estate, unless it's another ownership RV park in a different part of the country.

Some are nice, but the rest are just so overdone that they look like a characture of themselves. OH, and these folks aren't 'camping' or roughing it in any way, especially when they pull in for the 'season' of 3-5 months towing their color-coordinated 35' double stack trailers that holds 2 cars, a couple of motorcycles......and let's not forget the required $20,000 golf cart to ride you around the park that resembles, Hummers, '67 mustangs, mini fire trucks, you name it!

It's truly another world out there....I used to full time in a 1998 Monaco Dynasty and lived in this 'resort' long before the real estate jumped to the stratosphere. It's a kick when I tell the folks that knew me when I lived there that my current 'RV' will fit nicely in their living room with the double slides. They look at me in astonishment when I tell them that I now have a 19' Airstream. I LOVE IT!!!!!!!

Better a silver tube than no tube at all!!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 05:10 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Inverness , Florida
look at the nascar drivers mohos .over 1.5 million.with all big slideouts.. here's me in a old 77 argosy worth $6,000..At least I enjoy mine.
Bob
Old 01-23-2007, 05:18 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Man - I'm going back to the old station wagon thread
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:09 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Prevost

I've enjoyed reading this thread since beside having a 1987 32' Excella also have a 45' 1995 Country Coach aka the strange Airstream at the 29Palms rally. They are apples and oranges the Airstream allows us to go to places the Prevost cant and vs. Each have their appeal for those who would like to see a pic click the link below its for sale.

1995 Prevost Country Coach

three years from now when retirement becomes a reality I want to get another one and fulltiming spending maybe six months out of the year in it and another 2 in the Airstream. The Airstream once the Prevost is sold will under go a process to become a baby Prevost and will post pics. We all like to RV can't we all just get along.
Excella3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:17 PM   #15
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Kip,
My offer is still on the table. Straight trade my classic fully functional 1975 Trade Wind, a piece of classic americana for your used motor home.
I would have never thought that your MH is a 95, it is in super condition. Jan and I both said, it's got alot of bling!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:26 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Richard

Its tempting I've always wanted another one to put in the back yard for an office and a place to watch football. Let me think it over and get back to ya. Really enjoyed meeting all my new friends. We will have to get together again and when you have your rally at 4corners Ron and Debbie and perhaps a few others will be joining you in spirit in Malibu RV park along with the martini in hand.
Excella3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:42 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Alameda , California
Sticking strictly to statistics and not veering into politics here, one explanation of how there are significant numbers of people out there for whom an $850k (or $2 million) motorhome is a practical expense while most of us have the "buh?" reaction comes from US income distribution data.

0.1% of households have income over $1.6 million, with an average income in that group of $3 million. An extremely small percentage, but that's still 145,000 households, enough to sell quite a few $1 million+ motorhomes. Even if only one percent of that group bought a motorhome, that's 1,450 sales annually.

About 2 million households had income over $250k in 2005, and while an $850k motorhome is still going to be a significant outlay, when they retire many of them are going to have that much money in the bank too. And that's definitely a large enough number - 2% of the population - that you'll see the evidence of their spending on a regular basis no matter what you do.

No political judgment involved here, though I have my political opinions about it, but those statistics explain how it is that plenty of people can buy what are outlandishly expensive items to the other 98% of us.
Jacob D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 08:42 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
No disrespect meant!

Kip and all MH enthusiasts -

I meant no disrespect with my comments. They reflect my total bafflement at the outlay required by some/most of these coaches. I just don't get it. Especially in light of being able to acquire a AS TT for considerably less... not to mention depreciation.

Hey, if you have the bucks, and that sort of coach 'Rings your bell', then have at it. There are obviously plenty of folks that think like you do! Eat, drink, and be merry!!!! AND go camping.

I just don't get it. Especially the WalMart lot thing.... If you are into 'showing off' then there are certainly more obvious ways to get that jolly...off...

Plenty of NotForProfit's(NFP's) would love to have a fraction of the $'s, will 'pay-off' with huge "Thank You" banquets, offer big Tax Advantages, and on and on we can go.... my son survived Burkett's Lymphoma (BAD juju!!!!), so the Cancer groups have a real soft spot with me....

Back to the thread, the "KILLER" MH's really leave me thinking, Huh??? They say nothing to me other than - "LOOK AT ME!" That isn't a bad thing. Just not MY thing. I'm camping....

Look at me and my bad self, I'm camping..... In my AS....

Seriously, if the camper (or anything, TV, house, neighborhood, etc...) doesn't 'speak' to me in an emphatic voice, then I move on to where I DO hear that 'speak'. Why would I put my hard earned $'s down, if there isn't that interplay.... others hear it TOO!!!! That is why good real estate, good vehicles, good furniture, good tech stuff, good clothes, etc... offer such a good return. Average = average, Above average = above average, AS = exceptional. It's that simple.

My AS speaks to me. I love the 'Siren Song' she sings!!!! Hooked for life!

No slams intended here.... just looking for a better understanding for those Millionaire acres/MH folks.... they just aren't exceptional to me. AS's rule!

Call me 'confused'... or not. Your choice. I KNOW mine!

Axel
SilverToy
Old 01-23-2007, 08:47 PM   #19

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Think of all the differnt Airstreams and really great tow vehicle that you couls have for that kind of money.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 09:45 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Winter Home with Wheels...

I can add that Palm Springs area has multiple trailer parks similar to one in Florida. Place we stayed after 29Palms rally offered 1200+ spaces individually owned, average value or selling price today between $125K and $250K, and lots occupied mostly with Monaco or Beaver or Prevost coaches parked there for 5 months, until "home" warmed up... Our beloved 25' Excella was one of only 3 Airstreams (and smallest/oldest of the bunch) in the entire park.. Most owners included car plus golf cart plus bicycles on site..

FWIW, you should probably include high income Canadian households as well, since a great number of license plates on mega motorhomes were Canadian plates... While I'd probably struggle to plunk down that much for a winter home on wheels in the frozen desert, it is clearly a popular concept....

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote