Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2007, 12:28 AM   #41
4 Rivet Member

Paula, Alex

Let me try just one more time. First we all share a bond of camping, Rving, traveling and driving 8 to 10 hour days is very comfortable in a 800k coach. however when its dark and needing a place to spend the night there are choices. One you are in a town that you are familar with and have no problem bringing the coach with toad at 68' in total lenght no problem however your in a town or just need to sleep then on the road again. Here is the problem when your that long most Parks do not have pull thrus that lenght. Two its normally dark and your not used to their layout there are too many risk involved that can cause $10000 in repair, like the cones setup to prevent you from cutting corners or some pull thru spots that you can pull into but unable to pull out, your 45' w/o toad. My 1987 32'w crw cab dually total length 54' hinged makes it much easier that 45' unhinged, want to talk swing. Thats why we pull into Wal Mart & Costco is for the ease not cost. We all leave with the area cleaner than when arriving. Plus we normaly spend $$$ before leaving. Why be so negative we all share the common bond. Maybe you should start a thread in SOB brand website about why Airstreamers never leave those shinny things and pay 65k for a trailer?

Please tell me that you understand this, we stay at Costco when taking the Airstream am I in the same group as the 800k MH?
Excella3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 05:57 AM   #42
3 Rivet Member

Detroit , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverToy
What the ?????

There was NOT ONE that whispered to me, much less spoke to me like SilverToy does.

ITS A CAMPER FOLKS!!!!!

What are they thinking?? I don't get it.

Thanks for the space to vent.... Back to the normal AS stuff.

Peace

Axel
SilverToy

As my father-in-law has said, "That's why they make chocolate and vanilla."
Old 01-25-2007, 07:54 AM   #43
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
I completely understand the WalMart overnights....we drive a 35' Airstream Motorhome and stay in a WalMart, Truck Stop, etc when enroute to somewhere else for the very same reasons; it's typically late when we pull off for the night, it's easy to negotiate into an "out of the way" parking space, there are typically roadside services nearby (fuel, food, supplies) and it's well lit and relatively secure (cameras, other overnighters, open 24 hours, etc.). Actually, if we run our generator (AC) for a few hours and buy some supplies it's more expensive than if we stayed in a KOA.

Many times I've nestle in between two or three or sometimes ten big motorhomes along with small trailers and people sleeping in their MiniVans.

Who cares what you drive and how much it costs and what you do with it? My tent camping friends are only now warming up to the idea of a trailer. They see my motorhome as an expensive luxury. But for me...it's perfect. If someone drives a $2M Prevost...good for them.

I love my Airstream but I can certainly appreciate what a Prevost has to offer. Not all of them are my tastes but if you think about it, when you purchase a $250K used Prevost what still has another 800,000 miles left on the chassis and drivetrain it kind of makes sense over an entry level diesel pusher.

It kind of reminds my of what I saw when I worked at small airport FBOs. Some people fly Piper Cubs and some fly Gulfstreams...but they all LOVE flying.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 08:45 AM   #44
3 Rivet Member

Detroit , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster
It kind of reminds my of what I saw when I worked at small airport FBOs. Some people fly Piper Cubs and some fly Gulfstreams...but they all LOVE flying.
I must admit, I have had my airstream parked on the ramp at the local FBO, and I have landed a helicopter at a truck weigh station for an overnight stay along a Kentucky interstate due to bad weather, but I've never seen a Gulfstream jet aircraft parked at a WalMart.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:49 AM   #45
4 Rivet Member

Thank You

SWEBSTER thank you, as someone recently said to me your spot on with your comments. I could not have said it better myself.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:16 PM   #46
1 Rivet Member

Wow guys!!!

First of all what difference does it make what you camp in as long as you camp. We have an Airstream and a Prevost and they are both fun to camp in. As to the ones that don't get the million plus price tag of a Prevost, all I have to say is "You get what you pay for". Though we love our Airstream, I have to say the Prevost is a lot more comfortable for traveling. I for one, can sit in the back while my husband drives and enjoy a movie with a glass of wine.
What's the saying? "Different strokes for different folkes"
blkcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 12:19 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Guess I'll let the WalMart thing go

but nearly everyone missed the more important point, IMO.

AirStreams 'speak' to you.... If you listen... and if it's the right one, it fairly shouts at you. Then again, maybe its just me and mine that hears it.

While that 2M Prevost maybe comfortable for 8/ 10 hours on the road, what is the point? I've found that 300miles a day, or so, is about a great limit. More than that and I start having riots from the co-pilot and passengers. If I need to do a 2 day NM to NC blitz.... then I DO NOT take SilverToy and I will likely drive alone. Get it done.

As I said numerous times, I have NO problem with with SOB MH owners, NOR where they park - that's their issue. It's a big country after all.

When I was at the Grand Canyon North Rim - Jacob Lake campground, there were 3 HUGE MH's. All had a least 3 slides. All 3 had toads - Jeep, Caddy, and a Saturn. The cars left in the AM, came back in the PM, the owners disappeared.

I went to the Campfire ring nightly. Folks from trailers, Class C's, tents, all came around - including another AS owner. All of them, ALL OF THEM, commented on the mega-MH owners, and their seemingly self-imposed seperation. We all had a blast! Guitars came out, song books, more wood x2, marshmallows! A few beverages came out, coffee too! What a great time. All under the tall pines on the NR!!! And Yes, I did get a LOT of questions about SilverToy - gave 3 tours - and nearly all loved the space inside (if not my 'housekeeping'). Maybe SilverToy spoke to them also!? I can't say. But then there were no MH tours, not any C-class tours either... Maybe I DO have something special, SilverToy, afterall?!

Back to the MH comments I made that seem to have some hot and bothered - all comments were my opinion only.

I did say that those MH's do nothing for me. Spending that kind of $ for something that offers me nothing, looks like every other offering out there, and then driving the daylights out of it.... I don't get it. And judging by this forum, I am not the only one that doesn't get it.

C est la vie!

Axel
SilverToy
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 12:30 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Diffierent strokes....

BlkCat -

Firstly, Welcome!!!

Secondly, I salute you, your AS, your Prevost and your enjoyment of them all. Enjoy!

Lastly, I am clearly getting the message that I am not expressing myself in a way that is coming accross to anyone else.... guess I better cancel that book deal! I'm having that kind of week anyway

Hopefully everyone has a camping conveyance that they love, use and enjoy. Park it where ever the heck you want!! SYDTR!!!

I'll be the one with the big Silver Camper on the back Look for me and flash a "Hello" when you see me coming - I promise to flash back!

Peace everyone!

Axel
SilverToy
Old 01-25-2007, 12:30 PM   #49
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I'll never be able to afford one, so that's not a consideration.
I do see your point, but if money was not an object and I was going to full time it, this MOHO is now my house. Why not have nice? I would want it big enough to entertain, etc. - just like I now do at my house.
If I try to see it from their perspective it makes more sense to me.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 12:39 PM   #50
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excella3287
Let me try just one more time.
I think you are trying to explain the equivalent of why on earth someone who owns a $90,000 BMW 725 shops at Wal-Mart. They may spend $200 every time they go in there to shop, but if they can afford to spend $200 in one shopping spree, why do it at Wal-Mart? Simple, there is a lot more selection of items at Wal-Mart than there is at Nieman-Marcus. It's a matter of convenience.

I live in an upscale community (highest per capita income in the Southeast) and there are plenty of Beemers in the parking lot at the local Wal-Mart on any given Saturday.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 12:47 PM   #51
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
A BMW at WalMart? - now that I have a problem with !!!!
Old 01-25-2007, 12:52 PM   #52
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
SilverToy,
No problems...we're all just campers. My AS MoHo spoke to me...and still does so I know exactly what you mean. I'm way more of a motorhome guy than a trailer guy based on personal interests...just the same way someone is a tenter or pop-up, etc. In fact one of my neighbors with a pop up looks down on my MH because "it's not real camping" - whatever (talk to the hand).

To each their own...
Old 01-25-2007, 12:58 PM   #53
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster
A BMW at WalMart? - now that I have a problem with !!!!
...Mercedes C-Class, Range Rovers, Porches, you name it. I have even run into Evander Holyfield in our Wal-Mart...and he lives in a $22 million dollar house near me with six car garages and they are all filled.

BTW, while visiting my Mom once, I saw a Rolls Royce parked in the Wal-Mart parking lot...the owner came out and got in it while I was parking.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:01 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Oh good! Someone else hears it too!

SWebster -

Oh Good!!! Somebody else hears it too!!!! Glad that I'm not the only one

In reading several of the "Full Monte" threads, it is clear that many follow that AS muse... and make terrific trailers/MH's out of what was often a mess, actual or metaphorical.

And THAT really is the point of what I was trying to convey. AS's, IMO!!, have that certain 'something', and no SOB of any brand, cost or type, has 'it'.

There, got that out. Feeling better - thanks for the ear and the reply Stephen.

Axel
SilverToy
Old 01-25-2007, 02:12 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
It's what you do with it...

Gotta share short story about purchase of first Nomad trailer...

I'd talked with great salesman for 4 years at RV shows in Bay Area about buying trailer when children were young, and finally visited the lot to get serious. He almost refused to sell us box trailer, as he wanted us to buy pop-up which he also carried. He claimed "I don't want you to be one of those that sit sealed inside your trailer and watch TV..." Since my wife insisted on Air Conditioning and flush plumbing and I needed a working shower, the Pop-up wasn't going to work..

Finally he sold us the Nomad Weekender when I promised we'd use it properly, and enjoy the activities outside, and not just watch TV in it. Turned out to be a good deal! Thankfully, he also made me buy full sway protection for our Ford Bronco, as a condition of sale, and kept us on the highway a few times.

Sometimes the folks in the motorhomes with the satellite TV dish just need to be invited out for a glass of wine or a beer and a chance to talk.

John McG

>> And I'll never apologize for a night at Wal-Mart or a truckstop either... It's all part of the glamor of life on the road, and there are magic moments and mere moments along the way to some great destinations...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 03:10 PM   #56
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky
The point is, it really doesn’t matter if you sleep on the bear ground in the fetal position in a drunken stupor by the camp fire, or sleep in a 2 million dollar MH in a king size bed.
Wonder which sleeping arrangement induces speaking Airstreams
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 03:19 PM   #57
1 Rivet Member

SilverToy,

I agree with you that the Airstream has the "it" factor but the Prevost has the "wow" factor and they both speak loudly to me.
As to people wanting tours of the coach, my husband is always bringing people into the Prevost while I'm cooking dinner. There has not been a single camping trip we have made, were someone did not want to take a tour of the bus.

P.S. I could be coaxed outside for a glass of wine.
blkcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 05:45 PM   #58
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
It's a big world out there with room for everyone to camp in...with whatever you are driving or carrying in your backpack. To each their own and if it makes you happy, great!

I think the problem here is that this is an AIRSTREAM forum so the very large, very expensive motorhomes are playing to the wrong audience. I was fortunate to be able to pick just exactly what I wanted to camp in and the 16 foot Quicksilver Bambi was just what I wanted for a variety of reasons. But I bet if I went to the Prevost forum to talk up my baby...they just wouldn't get it. Nothing personal. Just the wrong audience.
BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 06:00 PM   #59
4 Rivet Member

Your Right

Hey BamCamper you hit the nail right on the head. Leave the Prevost-stuff off the Airstream Forum these two camps are two different animals and never the two shall meet on common ground. Lets Rally
Old 01-25-2007, 10:36 PM   #60
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
Absolutely...let's rally!
BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote