Old 01-23-2007, 06:17 PM   #15
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
My offer is still on the table. Straight trade my classic fully functional 1975 Trade Wind, a piece of classic americana for your used motor home.
I would have never thought that your MH is a 95, it is in super condition. Jan and I both said, it's got alot of bling!

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:26 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Its tempting I've always wanted another one to put in the back yard for an office and a place to watch football. Let me think it over and get back to ya. Really enjoyed meeting all my new friends. We will have to get together again and when you have your rally at 4corners Ron and Debbie and perhaps a few others will be joining you in spirit in Malibu RV park along with the martini in hand.

Excella3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:42 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member
1964 26' Overlander
Alameda , California
Sticking strictly to statistics and not veering into politics here, one explanation of how there are significant numbers of people out there for whom an $850k (or $2 million) motorhome is a practical expense while most of us have the "buh?" reaction comes from US income distribution data.

0.1% of households have income over $1.6 million, with an average income in that group of $3 million. An extremely small percentage, but that's still 145,000 households, enough to sell quite a few $1 million+ motorhomes. Even if only one percent of that group bought a motorhome, that's 1,450 sales annually.

About 2 million households had income over $250k in 2005, and while an $850k motorhome is still going to be a significant outlay, when they retire many of them are going to have that much money in the bank too. And that's definitely a large enough number - 2% of the population - that you'll see the evidence of their spending on a regular basis no matter what you do.

No political judgment involved here, though I have my political opinions about it, but those statistics explain how it is that plenty of people can buy what are outlandishly expensive items to the other 98% of us.
Jacob D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 08:42 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
No disrespect meant!

Kip and all MH enthusiasts -

I meant no disrespect with my comments. They reflect my total bafflement at the outlay required by some/most of these coaches. I just don't get it. Especially in light of being able to acquire a AS TT for considerably less... not to mention depreciation.

Hey, if you have the bucks, and that sort of coach 'Rings your bell', then have at it. There are obviously plenty of folks that think like you do! Eat, drink, and be merry!!!! AND go camping.

I just don't get it. Especially the WalMart lot thing.... If you are into 'showing off' then there are certainly more obvious ways to get that

Plenty of NotForProfit's(NFP's) would love to have a fraction of the $'s, will 'pay-off' with huge "Thank You" banquets, offer big Tax Advantages, and on and on we can go.... my son survived Burkett's Lymphoma (BAD juju!!!!), so the Cancer groups have a real soft spot with me....

Back to the thread, the "KILLER" MH's really leave me thinking, Huh??? They say nothing to me other than - "LOOK AT ME!" That isn't a bad thing. Just not MY thing. I'm camping....

Look at me and my bad self, I'm camping..... In my AS....

Seriously, if the camper (or anything, TV, house, neighborhood, etc...) doesn't 'speak' to me in an emphatic voice, then I move on to where I DO hear that 'speak'. Why would I put my hard earned $'s down, if there isn't that interplay.... others hear it TOO!!!! That is why good real estate, good vehicles, good furniture, good tech stuff, good clothes, etc... offer such a good return. Average = average, Above average = above average, AS = exceptional. It's that simple.

My AS speaks to me. I love the 'Siren Song' she sings!!!! Hooked for life!

No slams intended here.... just looking for a better understanding for those Millionaire acres/MH folks.... they just aren't exceptional to me. AS's rule!

Call me 'confused'... or not. Your choice. I KNOW mine!

SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 08:47 PM   #19

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Think of all the differnt Airstreams and really great tow vehicle that you couls have for that kind of money.
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 09:45 PM   #20
Rivet Master
1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Winter Home with Wheels...

I can add that Palm Springs area has multiple trailer parks similar to one in Florida. Place we stayed after 29Palms rally offered 1200+ spaces individually owned, average value or selling price today between $125K and $250K, and lots occupied mostly with Monaco or Beaver or Prevost coaches parked there for 5 months, until "home" warmed up... Our beloved 25' Excella was one of only 3 Airstreams (and smallest/oldest of the bunch) in the entire park.. Most owners included car plus golf cart plus bicycles on site..

FWIW, you should probably include high income Canadian households as well, since a great number of license plates on mega motorhomes were Canadian plates... While I'd probably struggle to plunk down that much for a winter home on wheels in the frozen desert, it is clearly a popular concept....

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 10:17 PM   #21
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim
1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
You guys do realize that everything being said about the luxury motorhomes and why would some spend that much money them.....

The same can be said by SOB white box owners about Airstream owners....
1960 International Ambassador 28'
2001 Silverado 2500HD CC 6.0L 4.10
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 10:17 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member
Alex none taken

My Airstream speaks to me all the time it belonged to my Dad and we will never get of it too many very happy memories. The MH was used for business from 1997 to 2005 the deprecation is the cost of doing business. In the last five years with the Airstream we have discovered places like Pomo in the Fort Bragg area, Whaleshead in Brookings Oregon and so many more places that a 45' can't go. On the other hand ODR Motor Coach in Indio is MH only and in previous notes places like Desert Shores in Indio a 40' by 120' pad with a 1100' box on with bathroom great room & kitchen is $500k where you have a small pool jacuzi with fire pit & spoil you with lush landscaping. I'm just fortunate to have friends, just as I do here.

Welcome to Desert Shores Motor Coach Resort

It's just a different way to RV that we all love, one is not better than the other, each one has it's own place. I've just been blessed to have both.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:25 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member
One more thing

Our get togethers in the Desert and elsewhere are no different than what the rallies are they are just in a differnt place. Good people, good food, good fellowship and the only thing that I know that has been missing is the margarita ball and I will change that.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:31 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member
2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
I feel bad enough with our Bambi.. running water, heater, fridge, wide screen HD TV, shower.. sheesh even this goes beyond our definition of 'camping'. Luckily we'll still be spending most time outdoors... probably stare at the Airstream a lot... my we is spoiled with Airstreams

Those MH's are fun to walk through.. but I wouldn't ever want to own one!

Just last season, this was our luxury camping...

campadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 06:52 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member
2005 25' Safari
West of Boston , Massachusetts
Just went to the New England RV show last week and I just can't warm up to the idea of a motorhome. I like the storage space in the truck and it seems to me that the motorhomes tend to lose a lot of square footage to the drivers seating area. Also Airstream styling is just plain cool. I think I will stay with the trailer... That said did anyone see the new KOA directory.... Speaking of mega motor homes... They have a two story (1200 sq foot) motorhome pictured in it...
DEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 08:43 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member
2005 25' Classic
Pelham , New Hampshire
Originally Posted by Safari Tim
You guys do realize that everything being said about the luxury motorhomes and why would some spend that much money them.....

The same can be said by SOB white box owners about Airstream owners....
Tim, I have had SOB owners that I work with say this! .........
And I don't care!
Bob & Carla
05 classic 25'
WBCCI # 1836
bobandcarla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:23 AM   #27
Rivet Master
1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Are you a camper turned Airstreamer or a vacationer turned RV'er? We were campers first and will remain so. The basecamp captures the Wally spirit the best, IMHO. If it wasn't for the unit rally's I would never be in an RV park all pushed together. It's a different world from camping. Before airstreams we did the canoe camping thing. Put it all in the canoe and take off with a small group. Cook on the campfire, sit around the campfire. This is the core interest for me. You don't get this experience in an RV park. We are not all the same us Airstreamers. To say we are is a political statement not a fact. I expect the club will continue to breakdown along the lines of our personal core interests rather than build cohesion base on the WBCCI lowest common demoninator, an AIRSTEAM sticker. There is no reason to take a million dollar MH to a campground unless you just don't like camping. I suspect they are great fun to those who have them and travel the country from Walmart to Walmart, country club to country club. It's good to have choices.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:33 AM   #28
Rivet Master
1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Originally Posted by David Alan
Man - I'm going back to the old station wagon thread
Ditto to that

safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote