Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2017, 04:55 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Moving? Drive a 26 foot Penske / Uhaul / or whatever...

Many individuals are intimidated with the large Self Load and Driving a large moving truck. They are big. They sit high. But... you tow a trailer and that is even more... difficult to master. You are already qualified and after a couple hours, you will find these large moving trucks very comfortable to travel.

My wife will even drive the 26 foot moving truck. But... I enjoy the drive. She will follow with the truck and occasionally pulling our Airstream, which is great on those two or three day hauls!

Moving heavy items into and out of the back of the truck is mostly understanding how to use a 'refrigerator dolly' with a strap... like a professional uses. Not the small two wheel dolly the company wants to rent to you. If you buy your own, it will be money well spent. The leverage and ease of moving heavy household goods is made simple.

Already understanding, at a glance, taking your tow vehicle and trailer at a fuel stop... you already have that part figured out. With 50 gallon and 70 gallon, diesel in my case, tanks... you can be patient, picking the easiest in and outs along the highway.

Don't be intimidated. Towing your Airstream takes much more skill. This transfers over to a big, loaded truck, with ease.

Negotiate down the original 'asking price'. Move when most people cannot, if you are retired. AAA, Internet ordering, mid month... all kinds of possible discounts.

Has towing your Airstream helped you do your own 'self moves'? Much like learning to ride a bicycle... you do not forget.

The money saved moving on your own... will buy lots of Airstream upgrades or tow truck fuel. Have a safe move and doing it yourself can be a lot of work... but worth it.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
As a youngish Boy Scout, I learned to drive a straight stick heavy truck we had at the summer camp. The guy that taught me how to shift and drive that beast also taught me how to 'double clutch' into granny low gear while in motion. Fast forward a whole bunch of years...

Rented a 26 foot box truck, big diesel, with a 4-speed stick. Frist gear was NOT synchromesh. Got it to the house, loaded it, and started up a hill near the new house location. Of course some darn fool in a pickup truck slowed down too much in front of me, and instinct and old training took over... I promptly downshifted the beast into low by double-clutching it, and managed to make it up the hill at a full crawl in low...young son riding with me was totally impressed...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 07:35 AM   #3
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Moving? Drive a 26 foot Penske / Uhaul / or whatever...

Biggest mistake I see with those renting self-move trucks is too high a rate of speed.

Much of the eighteen wheeler crowd is governed in speed at about 63-65/mph. Staying just below this pretty well eliminates risky actions such as Lane-changing and the unavailable experience in how to use brakes.

Fuel economy is reasonable below 65, and avoidance of other traffic (never less than a quarter mile of open space in front) makes for a much more relaxing drive.

I have other eighteen wheelers sometimes pass me several times in a day. The drivers are past their skill level, and the stress causes them to pull over more often.

Most car owners think the upper speed limit is what to drive, and consequently spend the day mixed up with each other. Stupid. But what can you do?

By avoiding both crowds, running 63-mph or slower one may never pass another vehicle all day on rural Interstates. That's a good sign.

To those "in a hurry" (an excuse), your overall average speed will not be high enough to countenance the behavior.

Take some rest runs and do the numbers. Engine hours per trip versus distance It'll make a believer if anyone.

Arriving tired and unable to work is a fools errand.

Plan the trip. Stops every two hours. Avoidance of rush hour. Majority Interstate miles. Interesting places to eat. Etc.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote