Old 10-27-2003, 02:40 AM   #1
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Cat
Harley & Airstream

I don't know Eric,,,
but somehow...the Airstream seems so streamlined...and the most streamlined bike I can imagine with it, has GOT to be "THESE ONES"

(don't you LOVE the grammer of the X-generation?)

But, I LOVE this bike---and it looks so purdee next to Bear...

Old 10-27-2003, 02:43 AM   #2
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
bikes

sorry...I didn't mean to advertise.. it just came with the photo

Old 10-27-2003, 04:51 PM   #3
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
cat

as for streamlined, i still like my harley.

the color could be better though, in 1955 the year my bike was built "atomic blue" was a color option. kinda like the blue on a can of wd 40.

maybe next paint job! for now the pepper red will have to do.

nice suzi though!

john
Old 10-27-2003, 05:27 PM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Off topic, but my buddy has a bike like that Suzuki, and he tells me he doesn't park it next to a Harley as the Harley folks would knock it over.....

...any truth to that John?

Eric
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 05:34 PM   #5
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
none whatsoever!

eric

there are dirtballs everywhere!

i would not hang out with people like that. i think all bikes are cool.

one of my best buddies that repairs old harleys is nicknamed "honda" 'cus he used to ride them. best vintage mechanic i know! bar none!

i have a very low tolerance for people who would knock someones bike over because it wasn't a harley!

low class!

john
Old 10-31-2003, 02:13 AM   #6
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Road FRATERNITY

Yeppers...
that'd be kinda like an Airstreamer who would 'knock over' an Avion owner, wouldn't it?

Thanx for saying that John... I agree with you...my son has the Hayabusa (the 200mph Suzuki shown), and he 'meets' with lots of Harley riders all the time,,,and they ALL care about and respect each other. The mentality of a rider who'd do that (either way) is something like the mentality of the cage driver (car) who would open their car/truck door just to 'knock off' a biker who is splitting lanes. (That's been done all too often.) I think his buddy probably sports a little attitude that may ruffle the 'feathers' of the Harley riders a little. (Anyone has 'buttons' to push.)

For those who don't know the term, "Splitting lanes" is where the biker goes between cars in a major traffic jam (with the philosophy that they are not wasting pavement---a good philosphy as far as I'm concerned;;;too many people make a single line of jamming traffic ---real bad, when there's another lane they could use for awhile, and then alternately 'funnel' down into the single lane. I, for one, will use the empty lane as far as it will go...and then I expect the traffic in the non-empty lane, to make room as I am ready to 'merge'...

HEY! Now there's a novel idea..."MERGING"...
Another novel idea...
RESPECT EACH OTHER NO MATTER WHAT WE RIDE...NO MATTER WHAT WE PULL...WE'RE ALL 'ROAD CRAZY'...
Old 10-31-2003, 11:48 AM   #7
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Re: Road FRATERNITY

For those who don't know the term, "Splitting lanes" is where the biker goes between cars in a major traffic jam (with the philosophy that they are not wasting pavement---a good philosphy as far as I'm concerned;;;too many people make a single line of jamming traffic ---real bad, when there's another lane they could use for awhile, and then alternately 'funnel' down into the single lane. I, for one, will use the empty lane as far as it will go...and then I expect the traffic in the non-empty lane, to make room as I am ready to 'merge'...

HEY! Now there's a novel idea..."MERGING"...
Another novel idea...
RESPECT EACH OTHER NO MATTER WHAT WE RIDE...NO MATTER WHAT WE PULL...WE'RE ALL 'ROAD CRAZY'... [/B][/QUOTE]

Cat, the only problem I have with "merging" is too many drivers try to force their way in front of someone towing a very large, very heavy, trailer, like, for example, an Airstream... personal experience speaking here. My brakes get quite the workout when others are merging.
Lane splitting is okay with me if you can, just make sure you have enough room before pulling back in. Most do, but the ones that don't will have a bad day eventually, just from the law of averages.
Terry
Old 10-31-2003, 10:01 PM   #8
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Terry said,
>>Cat, the only problem I have with "merging" is too many drivers try to force their way in front of someone towing a very large, very heavy, trailer, like, for example, an Airstream... personal experience speaking here. My brakes get quite the workout when others are merging.
Lane splitting is okay with me if you can, just make sure you have enough room before pulling back in. Most do, but the ones that don't will have a bad day eventually, just from the law of averages.
<<

I know....but that's not merging...or splitting lanes... That's stupid cutting off. I've driven an 18-wheeler...and that is the WORST sort of road behavior...and the worst offenders are the small little sporty "pocket rockets"....and they DO...cut right in front thinking you can stop on a dime.

Ok...BACK TO FLAMINGOES..
I like that graphic photo...
and I particularly liked that rig with the red bike and 3 tall flags...AWESOME...you should use for a Greeting Card.

I've saved it. Great COMBO.
Old 11-20-2003, 02:05 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Lenox , Georgia
But, once more about bikes.......

Sonny Barger, founder and former leader of the Hell's Angels, was recently quoted as saying he actually preferred heavy Yamahas and Suzukis to Harleys, although he wouldn't admit it back in the old days (probably because he would have been beaten). Deacon Proudfoot, who once chaired the California chapter of the Angels, said a BMW bike was a better ride, but just too chic for the Angel image. A well-built bike is a good bike, regardless of who makes it. Anyone ever ride a "Snortin" Norton?........my last bike.

And, back to plastic Flamingos, they are practically the State bird of south Georgia.
Old 11-24-2003, 12:54 AM   #10
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Trivia

Just trivia,,,>>I once (1983) had to 'count out' a high five-figure amount of cash, in 20s, 50s, and 100s (Sonny Barger's retainer to the criminal lawyer I worked for in San Fran.)...for representation in the cocaine fountain pen case (ALLEDGEDLY smuggled in TO him in San Quentin)---which my lawyer got him "OFF" for. When I finished counting all that money, I said to MR. Barger that I'd be back in a moment with his receipt---and he grabbed my arm, and said---very softly, but very seriously--- "NO receipt...no paperwork---no file." I began to protest, but, Mr. B. (my lawyer, NOT Mr. Barger) said, "NO receipt...NO file!"

Paperchase you know.

If you have flamingos, they MUST be pink. Has anyone ever seen a "silver flamingo"?

Nice piece of Bike trivia Joe... As a matter of fact, his friends who came to see him (Sonny) at our office, while he was there in the meeting with "Mr. B" - & was brought by Prison guards, were mostly riding bikes other than Harleys.

Would you fly in an airplane built by Harley-Davidson?
Old 11-24-2003, 07:37 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Norton Commmando

Had a 750 Norton that I bought primarily because it had a chrome tank! It was a fast and loose oil leaker and I kept running into things with it, as this was the late 60's and I had long hair and spent most of my time looking at my wind blown self in the reflection of that tank....lucky I survived to get a Triumph 650 Bonneville....English bikes were the deal in my area at that time.....Police were all Indians riders then....jem
zduke4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 10:09 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
This thread has been split from the Pink Flamingo thread

Shari
Old 11-24-2003, 08:42 PM   #13
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Would you fly in an airplane built by Harley-Davidson?

cat

many people did!

during the thirties folks used HD top ends to build airplane motors.

during WWII harley built generators for airforce bombers. and continued to do so until the late 50's.

john