Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2006, 12:08 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
I-5 is awful...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
This is the road you hate to drive on but seem to use it anyway and why.

I despise interstate 5 in Ca. where it goes through the San Jaquin valley. No offense to anyone who lives there but it's ugly,dreary and stinks. Especially near that cattle yard. Yet I take it several times a year on my way to Oregon. How about you?
Well, for over 20 years we lived 12 miles from I-5 (where it really stinks) at the Harris Feedlot and the oil fields. Terrible. Anyway, I agree, it is one of the worst roads. The actual road is getting bumpy because it was built in 1965 and I doubt if they have done much to it since then.... but the total lack of scenery is dreadful, although with many illegal and unlicensed drivers on the road down there one doesn't have time to watch the scenery anyway. Some of the semi truck drivers are very scary no concept of speed limits. I drove from there to the Oregon border every weekend for a year. Once I got north of Sacramento everything seemed to calm down. Maybe I was just getting tired and didn't notice...

There are alternate routes you can take along most of I-t throughout California... look for Historic Hwy 99 and much of it is still there. Much quieter, but does take longer ~ you'd be driving 55. A really nice part of it goes through interesting farm land from just north of Sacramento to Red Bluff. Miss all the I-5 traffic, but you drive fairly parallel and can see everyone racing by... it is great in spring and fall. I wouldn't drive it in the winter when it was foggy.

I vote I-5 in California as terrible # 1.

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 09:29 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2003 25' Classic
2011 27' FB Classic
Fisher , Illinois
C. Illinois to Seattle - Road Reflections

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiobox
I-80 in western Iowa and again in several spots crossing Wyoming. Nasty washboard. Drive slower and it's Mike Tyson pounding on your lower back, drive faster and you suffer high-speed three stooges slaps. An absolute treat everytime I drive between Oregon and Indiana.
We just returned to central Illinois from Seattle. We made the same trip last year. We've done I-90 (twice), I-94, and I-80. Here are some reactions:

--Overall, I-94 has the least traffic but the stretch across Minnesota -- from Fargo through Minneapolis is a traffic nightmare (esp. on the weekend) and the road isn't that good.

-- I had dreaded the thought of crossing Nebraska on I-80 (given pre-Airstream experiences of past years), but actually the road surface wasn't that bad -- except as noted -- in W. Iowa. The main problem with I-80 is the number of trucks -- across NE and Iowa. Across Wyoming there are terrible stretches of washboard (eastbound) in the vicinity of mile-marker 260 and again for about 10 miles east of Cheyenne. Otherwise it's good road -- not much traffic and magnificent views . . .

-- That leaves I-90 which I strongly prefer. The traffic isn't bad. Around Missoula, MT -- they've repaved what was (last year) absolutely the second-worst stretch of washboard on the planet-- and now the road surface for 2400 miles is the best I think anyone could hope for. The drive through Montana is delightful. Sadly, Eastern Washington is just Eastern Washington. We've taken four different routes across E. Washington and there is no good solution -- just focus your eyes on the road ahead and get it behind you as fast as you can.

Now . . . I referred to the SECOND worst washboard to be found. The absolute worst is I-5 through Seattle!! Don't give it a moment's consideration -- take I-405 instead.
farmboydkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 09:47 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Cal 299

From Redding to Arcata on the coast. This sign says it all--very slow, very narrow, and in some places very steep. Every one of the 140 miles. Plus fog if you try it at night or early morning. Count on the drive taking 5-6 hours.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3995 140 miles-s.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	25048Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4013 10 mph-s.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	25050

But beautiful, hidden, and interesting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4001 AS summit fog-s.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	25051Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4023 forrest-s.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	25052

California 140 from Yosemite to Mariposa is just as bad, but it's only 42 miles long. It was laid out by a drunken Cat driver who liked to do tight turns for no discernable reason.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:55 AM   #24
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Close to home for me

My trailer is stored only 9 miles away, but the direct access has been closed and under construction for 6 months and will not be finished until about next February. It isn't impassable, but every time I sneak through, there is a new set of ditches.

In the meantime, the next most reasonable route is 4 miles longer and also has a stretch that is under construction, although not closed. There is a 5-mile collection of patches, heaves, one-lane stretches. If I bring the trailer home, everything inside has been rearranged. The mattress is halfway off the bed and anything moveable has shifted.

Both are county roads and, to cut costs, the contracts allow a full year to completion. In the meantime, we usually start trips from the storage yard rather than load at home.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 10:00 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
The worst road(s), well for the past 6 month, thanks to the total lack of forward planning, is the stretch of I-80 just south of Chicago. Eastbound coming in to the junction with 294, the genius traffic planners take 4 lanes of traffic down to one for the merge to eastbound I 80-94. This road is tore up and is down to two lanes per direction all the way into Indiana. Then in another fantastic lack of planning they have chosen to tear up I-94 going north into the city and they have also torn up the Skyway. Congratulations Chicago highway planners, you have created complete gridlock. There is no way to get to/from an area east of Chicago to/from an area west of Chicago without wasting hours in traffic.

AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 12:40 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1971 27' Overlander
1957 22' Caravanner
Jourdanton , Texas
I dare say our worst road is the half mile of gravel from our front gate to the state highway we must access before we can go anywhere. The road is either dusty in dry weather or muddy in wet weather (should we be so lucky!) and washboard all the time. Usually the doors jump out of their tracks in the Airstream and anything loose gets rearranged. Our first stop is about a mile down the blacktop to where we can put things back together.

With that as our starting point, any other road is heavenly.

Paula
pienjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 12:52 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
them's fightin' words

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmboydkb
Sadly, Eastern Washington is just Eastern Washington. We've taken four different routes across E. Washington and there is no good solution -- just focus your eyes on the road ahead and get it behind you as fast as you can.
Watch it...there are Eastern Washington people on this forum who find our dry upland vast views of nothingness quite beautiful.

I will agree with Mel and others that the stretch of I-5 north of Seattle about dislodged our trailer from its frame. Last spring on the way to the tulip festival the washboard was so bad we almost had to pull over to compose ourselves.
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 01:19 PM   #28

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I-95 Southbound at I-10 in Downtown Jacksonville. This is the only place in the entire Interstate Highway System where there is perminent single lane travel. I don't think that it is intended to be that way. This major junction has been under construction continuously for the past twenty-eight years that I am aware of. It was like that when I moved to Jacksonville in 1978.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 02:41 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
I-95 between Fredericksburg (Rt. 3) and north to and including the Springfield "Mixing Bowl" (I-495 and I-395). Take Rt. 301 in MD instead.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 04:50 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Mancos , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to AirstreamGypsy
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Sections of Wolf Creek pass in Colorado gooing East were pretty torn up, turning to gravel road in places - love/hate. Love the scenery, hate the road conditions
All fixed now!!!

I agree about the porposing. Especially with a short trailer. In my area it's HWY 160 between 4 corners and the junction of 491(666) and 160. Traveling at a normal speed I am always afraid my refrigerator which is in the back of my trailer, is going to end up in the back of my TRUCK!
My Earthship
AirstreamGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 05:26 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
I remember I-90 we were on going across from South Dakota towards Minnesota..the winds must have blowin' 35 m.p.h. that afternoon!..I think we got about 4 miles to the gallon w/our Safari in tow!!!..talk about our Safari fishtailing!..

Oh and yes we've been down 1-5 here in the Golden State of California, struggling to hold our noses closed as we go through the cattle yards, Harris Ranch..we've stopped for dinner at the huge restaurant there..now I know why they use heavy double-doors at the entrance..it does stink awfully!!!
codybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 05:46 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
Afton , Virginia
I-81

gets my vote. It is one of the main North-South truckways through Virginia, and is usually full of 65 footers. It looks like a tire graveyard, littered from end to end with "alligators".
herrgirdner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 06:03 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
We just got home from Salem, Oregon via the east coast and west through Canada 8600 miles. I-88 from I-81 to I-87 was the worst, but I-64 toll road through West Virginia wasn't far behind, had to slow down to 40 mph just to keep the trailer on the road in WVA.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 06:09 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Most miserable: I-5 Calif.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
This is the road you hate to drive on but seem to use it anyway and why.

I despise interstate 5 in Ca. where it goes through the San Jaquin valley. No offense to anyone who lives there but it's ugly,dreary and stinks. Especially near that cattle yard. Yet I take it several times a year on my way to Oregon. How about you?
We lived near that stinky cattle yard (Harris Feed Lot) for over 20 years....(I know, what were we thinking???) couldn't wait to leave... hot, dusty, and on a good day the oil fields smell... we sometimes find we need to travel Interstate 5 .... we don't like any of it south of Redding! We often opt for old 99 or other routes just to avoid the crazies on I-5!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 09:50 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
You're right. The 5 goes from grim to pleasant in Redding.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 11:26 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Hi all, There are some really terrible roads out there. I agree with most all that are mentioned. I am Surprised no one has mentioned I-43 in Milwaukee WI. or I-90 going west from Milwaukee, WI. I-5 in L.A., CA. is bad too. Oh yea I-5 North of Olympia, Wa. is also pretty bad. I bet I could think of a bunch more if I sat here long enough.

The most boring was N. Dakota, I-94 hands down with I-5 in So. Cal. a close second
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote