Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-20-2005, 07:23 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2004 25' Safari
Prescott , Arizona
Send a message via AIM to gadgetat Send a message via Yahoo to gadgetat
Mosquitos!

I was wondering what folks do about the dreaded mosquito. This weekend we picked up a Mosquito Magnet. It worked for the first 20 hours, and was catching. Then it stopped working. It's going back to the store today.

Each year our mosquito season seems to get worse (especially with our very wet Spring). Even trying to wash the Airstream in our driveway is a HUGE challenge (very shady and mosquito friendly). And you know how much we all like to wash our Airstreams! I won't even think about trying to polish it at the moment. Somewhere in late July the little monsters will start thinning out.

So, what do you folks do at home and on the road? We'd really like to avoid the sprays, and find a better way to deal with these little critters. The shine of my Airstream depends on it!
WBCCI #2551 | blog
gadgetat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 07:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
I hear ya!

We live in mosquito-land too. In fact, our town newspaper is called "The Mosquito." Like you, I'm not a fan of the sprays or any of the heavy DEET products, but we haven't found anything that really works on the little buggers. We haven't plunked the money down for the Mosquito Magnet because the mixed results we've heard about made it seem not worth the money. Right now we're just taking advantage of every opportunity when the mosquitoes are not so bad to go outside and do our work -- this means when the sun is shining hottest and humidity is at its lowest, which isn't often this spring. We use Naturpel and Cutter Skintastic sprays when we have to be outside, and spray them often and mostly on our clothes rather than on our skin. I have to admit that I like the Skintastic over the Naturpel based on the scent alone. I am just about ready to order mosquito netting and hats for when we have heavy yardwork that we just have to get done in the shade. We have a bat house but I don't think there are any residents there now so it's not helping. I'm just getting a large perennial garden going and I'm going to put in some birdfeeders to attract some natural mosquito predators. The dragonflies are just now starting to come out so, hopefully, they'll start feeding on them. Last year I was able to put a small wading pool in the yard for the girls and there were enough dragonflies around to protect us from mosquitoes while they played.

I know from past years that this is the worst time of the year for them and that they should lighten up a bit by mid-July. And this has been an especially wet spring so it's worse than most years and hopefully things will get better.

Good luck! I'll be watching this thread to see if anyone has any better suggestions.

-J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 08:04 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2004 25' Safari
Prescott , Arizona
Headnets, Naturpel, and holding a belay line

Thanks for the response. You're probably not very far from us. We're in Sandown, NH (near the MA border), and we live close to part of the Exeter River Watershed. So we have the little monsters coming at us in thick clouds!

When we used to rock climb more often than we do now we tried everything. I even went so far as to use a headnet while climbing in Pawtuckaway. Can't really make out the rocks very well with a net. And when running the belay line for your climbing partner you cannot take a hand off to swat! We finally learned to skip the late Spring and early Summer climbing in Pawtuckaway.

The mosquito magnet was tried this weekend. While it worked for almost a day it was very fickle. We turned it off to move it to a shadier spot, and it never restarted properly. Then we read the online reviews to find very mixed stories, mostly involving the restart problems. Ugh.

I thought this forum would be a great place to hear how folks deal with them. With everyone's travels I'm sure many have run into the dense swarms, and found ways to deal with them.
WBCCI #2551 | blog
Old 06-20-2005, 08:36 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Glad to hear that we're not alone up here when it comes to dealing with the dreaded mosquito. I pretty well live in the bush so of course we've got black flies and deer flies thrown into the mix as well. About the only thing you can do is wait it out, and stay inside at dawn and dusk when the mosquitoes are the heaviest. When they are at thier peak, a bug repellent with at least 20% deet is mandatory just to keep them at bay. I've also found that the more I get bitten, the less the bites bother me, but then again I've probably got West Nile by now . P.
Peter&Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 08:58 AM   #5
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Mosquito's

The best thing I have found is in the sporting goods department at Wal-Mart. I can't remember the name of it, but it smells like dirt. It is what hunter's use.
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 09:17 AM   #6
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Mosquito repellant

Apply Deep Woods Off to exposed skin. If that doesn't keep them at bay, smoke a cigar. I'm serious. Mosquitos don't like cigar smoke. No need to inhale, just light it and keep it lit and close to your body.
I've done this here in the backwoods of Michigan and while fishing marshy areas of Florida. It's not foolproof, but it helps.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 09:43 AM   #7
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Deep Woods Off works for me too. Also citronella torch oil - the really smokey stuff helps in a camp area..... but it can't be good for you - of course neither are mosquito bites.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 09:56 AM   #8
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
I've been told that Avon "Skin so Soft" is a good mosquito repellant but I'm afraid to try it, I want to repel mosquitos, not attract womenfolk while I'm fishing..
Wait! Any Avon salespeople aboard? Maybe I could do both at the same time.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 10:36 AM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog0525
I've been told that Avon "Skin so Soft" is a good mosquito repellant but I'm afraid to try it, I want to repel mosquitos, not attract womenfolk while I'm fishing..
Avon now markets a product with the active ingredients of Skin So Soft, as a mosquito repellant. Check with your local Avon saleperson.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:10 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2004 25' Safari
Prescott , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog0525
Don't think my wife would like me attracting other womenfolk......
WBCCI #2551 | blog
Old 06-20-2005, 11:58 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Coming from the Canadian North - zzzzzzzzzzslap capital of vacation land - here is what we have settled with.

We have looked at everything and have settled with two products.

One is an insect repelant made by Watkins - Cream and Spray can available
watkinsonline.com I use a supplier out of Winnipeg MB but Watkins is a USA based company that has been around since the settling days - you know those potion/lotion guys in the wagons that traveled from town to town with tonics

Ingreedients: Deet 28.5% Toluamides 1.5% in a 240ml bottle
If you have to go out during their feeding times dusk to dawn and shady areas and days - with exposed skin then this will work! Like anything else if you get wet or sweat then repeat applications will be necessary.

We live in a forest, beside a marsh - so guess what we have - trillions of them - however we have found a product that is made in the states and has been proven for use in Baseball parks and play areas - it is all natural and REALLY works - if you like garlic this is the product you need for your yards or just to spray a "Barrier" around the area you are working

It is called Mosquito Barrier
Ingreedients Garlic Juice 99.3%
Cirtic Acid .5%
Potassium Sorbate .2%

Here is the contact info on the bottle

Made with care in USA
Garlic Research Labs, Inc.
624 Ruberta Avenue
Glendale, CA 91201-2335
info@MosquitoBarrier.com
www.MosquitoBarrier.com
800-424-7990

You need a good sprayer and have to be diligent in controlling the population around your house and work areas - after heavy rains the application must be repeated - but it really does work. I have made up a spray bottle that I squirt around the door enterances - and in the bushes around where we sit. Have even sprayed under the trailers where we are working and you can actually see them fly away - and stay at a distance....

coupled with the replelant - our place can be quite pleasant - even this year when they are the worst we have seen them.

The next huge bug that sends me running is the deer and horse flies that almost amputate you when they take a bite - for these little buggers I do not go out without a hat on (keeps sun off head too) and I use a deer fly patch from www.LeeValley.com - as the fly is buzing around your head it picks up on the scent of the patch and wants to land a bite - only problem is it is sticky so they get stuck and die. You here them buzzing up there but I would rather that then huge welts on me - I am allergic to their sting and it can make me very sick at times. These patches are not overly expensive - and can be placed on hats or on the back of your shirt. I usually just flick them off .

After rain for 7 days they are out in full force today and just cutting the grass up front where they like to hang out I had 10 land on my hat - the rest stay clear as they then sense the dead ones on the hat.

I have hat head a lot during the summer - but well worth the alternative!!!

PS. Note the above products have been purchased for personal use only - I am not associated or work for any of these companies. Just ones I have found their products to actually WORK. when applied correctly and consistently.

West Nile - don't be so scared......there are trillions of mosquitos out there and the chances are slim to none for most of us - about as much as a lightening strike - or getting hit by a car which are much higher risks as well as even higher risks such as heart diseases, obesity and most cancers.....

You all have a great day
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 01:25 PM   #12
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
How much is it worth?

Orvis markets repellent clothes - they work!

http://www.orvis.com/store/search_re...s*35111&bhcp=1
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 01:38 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
We live in a forest, beside a marsh - so guess what we have - trillions of them - however we have found a product that is made in the states and has been proven for use in Baseball parks and play areas - it is all natural and REALLY works - if you like garlic this is the product you need for your yards or just to spray a "Barrier" around the area you are working.
GT6921 -- the Mosquito Barrier is a great tip! I've never heard of it before and it looks like just the thing for those times when we just want to enjoy the yard but can't for the nasty bugs taking over. I think we'll give it a try. Thanks!
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 12:18 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Sock it 2 'em !!!

How abt tryin a few pairs of soiled SOCKS in a bucket, or Yr old Trainers, I kn 4 a fact My missus wood'nt even try to enter My SHED, if She sees those lyin around, & I can't get outta the place quick enough, I'm sure My nasal wall is thinnin...LOL My Sister uses Scented Candles 2 rid the Gnats She has in Her yard, the garden pond attracts them...Any how GOOD LUCK...Chris.....
Old 06-23-2005, 09:22 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Believe it or not, in our part of Florida, we have almost NONE! We live on a big sand bar and there is no standing water, because the drainage is so good. We do have gnats, and they are really irritating.

Last November we had a forum rally at Blue Springs State Park. When we arrived, we noticed everyone had on long sleeve shirts and pants. Wife and I got eaten alive in our shorts and short sleeve shirts. It took about 2 weeks for the red spots and itching to go away.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 04:08 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2004 25' Safari
Prescott , Arizona
Thanks for the great ideas. We ordered the Mosquito Barrier, and should be seeing it tomorrow. Read that it deals with ticks too, and my dogs will be happy with that! When I lived in FL I had less problems with mosquitoes than we do here in NH.
WBCCI #2551 | blog
Old 06-26-2005, 04:34 PM   #17
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
As a flyfisherman, I've been told to keep a couple Bounce dryer sheets in the pockets of my vest. I've never been in a place where I needed it. Might be worth a try. I keep an open box in the trailer for the ants and it sure works. We don't have a mosquito problem around here, too dry here in the desert but we do have ants. Maybe it'll worrk on the mosquitos like it does on ants.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 05:33 PM   #18
Troubs Roady Emeritas

1979 31' Excella 500
1974 27' Overlander
1974 27' Overlander
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via MSN to airstream6666 Send a message via Yahoo to airstream6666
Gag... ack!

I'm not particularly bothered by mosquitos (they seem to be more attracted to other folks I'm with) but black flies, well, they really do mess up the day.

Black fly season is a great "hitch itch" stimulant.

— Johnny
airstream6666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:50 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
I am curious to know if any of the Mosquito Magnet users (assuming they're still in the forums after... nine years?) had any longer term success or failures associated to the product. There's a variant now in that lineup that uses C-class batteries for its ignition system, so would be potentially good for boondocking.
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:37 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
For Black Flies, Gnats and No Seeums, Use Absorbine jr. I dab it on my cap and sleeves. Usually lasts for about 4 hours.
In a 16 oz spray bottle put 15 drops of Lavender oil, 4 tbsp of vanilla and fill bottle with water. This also works for The biting bugs.
mike 27937
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote