Old 07-20-2009, 02:00 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Campbell , California
Monterey Historic Races - 2009

Once again it is that time of year when I post this thread to see if any of you will be attending this year's Monterey Historic Automobile Races at Laguna Seca Raceway? The featured marque will be Posrche!!!!! Last time they were the featured marque was back in 1998 - Porsche's 50th Anniversary Celebration. This year's event celebrates the 60th Anniversary of Porsche, and if it is anthing like 1998, there promises to be an AMAZING display of vintage metal from Stutgart.

Rolex Monterey Historics

I will be camping there the entire weekend (8/13 - 8/16), so if there are any other streamers attending then please stop by and say Hi - I'm staying in the Can-Am campground site 85.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Camping_Guide.pdf (990.7 KB, 57 views)

Old 08-10-2009, 12:13 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Campbell , California
The Historics are just a few days off. I will be at Laguna Seca Thursday thru Sunday - hoping to see other Aluminatics there.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:33 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Anderson / Sun City , Indiana / Arizona
Porsche

I envy you attending the Monterey Historic Races. Mary & I attended the 50th Anniversary of Porsche held in Gmund, Austria in 1998. We had a great time touring Europe and fullfilled a lifetime dream of picking up a new roadster at the factory in Stuttgart.

We attended the Grand Prix in France and returned back to Stuttgart the next day to drop our new car back off at the factory to be shipped back home. The winning #26 GT1 was sitting in the factory courtyard being admired by the workers. It still was covered with grime from the race.

I have owned Porsches since 1969, when I bought a 1959 Porsche "A" Coupe. I still have that car. I hope to go to Sedona, AZ this Oct. for the Porsche West Coast Holiday. I just haven't figured out how I'm going to get both the Airstream and the Porsche there. At 90 hp and 1800 lbs, I don't the think my vintage Porsche is up to it. It would look cool though.

Have fun and post any Airstream and vintage Porsche pictures.

Mike Brumback
Old 08-10-2009, 02:51 PM   #4
Lyle & Margie

2008 28' International CCD
Lakeside , California
This post came at just the right time. My wife and I are looking into booking a camp site for the sports car races in Oct. I've never camped here before and if you don't mind, I have a couple of questions.
1. I see you’re camping in site 85, your choice or theirs?
2. Does this site offer a good view of the track?
3. Could you suggest a couple other sites as well? Good track view and ease of access are important to us. We have a 28 ft CCD.
Any additional info will be welcomed.
Tnx Lyle & Margie.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:28 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Campbell , California
Lyle & Margie,

See my responses below:

1. I see you’re camping in site 85, your choice or theirs?

My choice, sort of. It is VERY difficult to get hookup sites at the Historic Races. You get the "first dibs" option to renew your site or you can request an upgrade to a "more desirable" site. Your only chance to upgrade is if the individual with the more desirable site doesn't renew their campsite. Campsites with water/electrical hookups and a track view rarely come available. I opted for campsite 85 since it has a large area behind the RV parking spot where a tent or two could be erected.

2. Does this site offer a good view of the track?

Unfortunately not, but I always sit in front of the restrooms between turns 1&2.

3. Could you suggest a couple other sites as well? Good track view and ease of access are important to us. We have a 28 ft CCD.

Anything with a track view is great! I like Chaparral and Can-Am Circle because they have water and electrical hookups. Unfortunately, none of the sites have sewer, but there is a dump station right next to the entrance.

Any additional info will be welcomed.
The main entrance is a brutal hill climb. My old LandCruiser really struggled, but I'm pretty sure the Sequoia should have no problems. If you need internet access, the Laguna Seca WiFi is VERY expensive (something like $35/24hr).

Feel free to PM me with any other questions.