Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2013, 06:28 AM   #41
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Palmieri View Post
But we refer to it as a (rolling jelly bean). I was never big on being politically correct.
My personal favorite non-politically-correct nom de guerre for an Airstream trailer is "tin twinkie." I forget where I heard that one, but I think it was generic, and not someone's name for their own rig.

Still looking for a similarly irreverent euphemism for an Interstate. There's just no distinctive visual idiosyncracy that lends itself to being affectionately mocked.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:42 AM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Cream Ridge , New Jersey
AS Interstate, hmmm, that one may require some thought. I'll get back to you if I come up with something.
Joe Palmieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:51 AM   #43
2 Rivet Member

East Falmouth , Massachusetts
I'll tell you what...I don't have my Airstream yet...BUT...when I finally make a decision on which one works best for me, my response to anyone who asks whether I have an RV, trailer or whatever...will be, "I have an Airstream which makes me an AIRSTREAMER"!

Kristine
AKristine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:52 AM   #44

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
AS Interstate, hmmm, that one may require some thought. I'll get back to you if I come up with something.
Don't think too hard. If it doesn't come naturally, it won't ring true anyway.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:58 AM   #45
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
My personal favorite non-politically-correct nom de guerre for an Airstream trailer is "tin twinkie." I forget where I heard that one, but I think it was generic, and not someone's name for their own rig.

Still looking for a similarly irreverent euphemism for an Interstate. There's just no distinctive visual idiosyncracy that lends itself to being affectionately mocked.
Quote:
Our first was named the "Frantic Banana". DW affectionately mocked the name every chance she got. I took it very personal.

Bob
Old 05-16-2013, 07:18 AM   #46
3 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Cream Ridge , New Jersey
Wink

Quote:
Don't think too hard. If it doesn't come naturally, it won't ring true anyway.

How about Wander Wagon???
Old 05-16-2013, 07:18 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Like the fellow at Lake Bruin State Park in the Class A next door to my site who set up his satellite dish in my reserved campsite, and was so terribly upset when I wanted to actually park my Interstate there. He finally moved his dish when I threatened to run over it if he didn't, but then set it up again right in front of my bumper, so I had to threaten to run over it again when I left.
Wow. That's pretty idiotic. You should've kept nudging it...accidentally, of course.

Quote:
And you know, despite the beautiful oxbow lake and the private docks at each campsite, I don't think I saw the owners of that rig outside even once other than when he was moving his dish. No campfire, no barbecue, no watersports, nothing. I was there with my inflatable kayak, and had a blast.
I feel like they can do what they want - it's their vacation (or their life if they full-time), and if they want to spend it sitting inside watching TV, so be it. Or like the guy that bought an Interstate just to use it to drive from hotel to hotel. It's their money and their time, so fine if that's what they want to do with it, but it's just not something I understand.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:31 AM   #48

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, [watch the flames] same as on this forum; Mine is a 2005 25' Safari, but others feel that they have to tell everyone that their bedroom is in the front. [25'FB]
I am guilty of using 25FB. I use this identifier because it requires the fewest number of key strokes.

I am also guilty of referring to campgrounds as "trailer parks". This always garners a reaction from the motor coach set.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:56 AM   #49

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
How about Wander Wagon???
Fine as a name for an individual Interstate, but I was thinking more along the lines of a generic way to refer to Interstates collectively, that pokes fun at them without being insulting. Wander Wagon could apply to any motorhome, not just an Interstate.

Problem is, aside from some extra stuff on the roof, and an extra badge or two on the sides, from the outside an Interstate looks an awful lot like any other Sprinter. Nothing unique about their appearance that would evoke a response of "yeah, you're right" when you mock it.

Compared to a big class A, it's an "econobox" motorhome, but you don't think of Interstates, or even Sprinters, when you hear or read the word "econobox." That term is already taken by cheap fuel-efficient minivans, not expensive fuel-efficient Mini-MoHos.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:08 AM   #50
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:

Problem is, aside from some extra stuff on the roof, and an extra badge or two on the sides, from the outside an Interstate looks an awful lot like any other Sprinter. Nothing unique about their appearance that would evoke a response of "yeah, you're right" when you mock it.

I think you've pretty much hit on the problem. I know a B190 when I see it. I do see on occasionally, I even looked at one on a used car lot a couple of years ago.

To the best of my knowledge, I've never seen an Interstate. I may have passed dozens of them, but nothing about them caught my attention. Even at the Airstream dealer in my neighborhood that I pass often, I can't remember seeing any Sprinter based RVs. They must be there but they never caught my eye. Checking their website (Crain RV Supercenter, Arkansas RV Dealer in Little Rock Arkansas, Exclusive Jayco and Tiffin Motorhomes, RVs, Fifth Wheel, Travel Trailer, Class A, Diesel Pusher, AR) just now, I see they have eight in stock! Maybe I'll see them next time.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:30 AM   #51
3 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Cream Ridge , New Jersey
Quote:
Fine as a name for an individual Interstate, but I was thinking more along the lines of a generic way to refer to Interstates collectively, that pokes fun at them without being insulting. Wander Wagon could apply to any motorhome, not just an Interstate.

Compared to a big class A, it's an "econobox" motorhome, but you don't think of Interstates, or even Sprinters, when you hear or read the word "econobox." That term is already taken by cheap fuel-efficient minivans, not expensive fuel-efficient Mini-MoHos.

Now I see what you're after. You're right, nothing really jumps out at you when you see one. I will take another look the next time I'm at the dealership or see one on the road. Sometimes things pop into your head when you least expect it.