Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2006, 05:54 AM   #81
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
yuki

nice ride!

you can always put stock mufflers on for inspection, they can be had cheap used at your dealer as most people just throw them away.

if you ever find the stock header pipe hang onto it as they are somewhat rare and make the most horsepower. they are unmistakable, as they are "X" shaped.

john
Old 05-12-2006, 07:49 AM   #82
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by enduroryda
Sounds like you got the best of both worlds...That's great that it has electric...they can be a bear to kick!...always good to have a back-up kick just in case your battery dies...or you could find an incline and pop start it...been there done that.

I wish I new more about your pipes so I could help with a solution to pass inspection. They are making us do mandatory sound tests at all our races now so we have to re-pack our silencers every 2-3 races. Sound is a huge issue and some of the bikes are obnoxiously loud...I'm all for it. On the street tho it's a whole other issue...today you have people on cell phones w/ their radios blasting and sometimes they just don't see you...if that's what it takes to make them notice you is a blip of the throttle then I say keep em loud....just don't abuse it. Well...drive safe and happy trails!!
What kind of biking do you do? From looking at your userid I would venture a guess that you do alot of enduro trail biking? What kind of bike do you use for that?

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 09:12 AM   #83
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverToy
Barry -

BTW - The spelling was correct. AXEL. not axle. Common mistake. Not an issue.

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I don't want an EXTRA Nomad - I want the one YOU wanted for yours! Don't want the million hours car. I want a really good 1 hundred hr. car. THE one you wanted for yourself!

Used to belong to a classic Lincoln Car Club ('62 4dr with Suicide Doors and Champagne leather interior) and although I had NO $'s at the time and went for the wrecks, the guys who loved cars AND MADE $ were the guys who had the bucks to buy the right car in the correct condition... The rest, as they say in investment brochures, is money in the bank! .... or a hole to dump lots and lots and lots of MONEY into.....

Glad to hear that you are in good condition physically, and if you run accross a NOMAD in the 'CORRECT' condition, DO CALL ME FIRST! 286/3 on the tree is my prefered set up. Seriously!!!!!

Had an uncle with that motor/tranny in a '55 sedan that he used as a parts runner, and I still wish I had that car! White with blue! He also had a 'SuperBird' in "Red" in for a LOT of repairs, that he let go for zero $'s even though the guy couldn't/didn't pay for the repairs.... he needed the space in his 3 stall garage on old Rt30! I OFFERED to pay the bill plus extra - coulda' traded college for that!

Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

Axel
From time to time I get Berry so I know what you mean. My fingers type faster than my brain can feed them the info some times and since we were talking cars..........well, you know what I mean. One of the folks in our car club passed from cancer in January. He had a beautiful '57 Nomad - close to stock but every nut and bolt is stainless (we called him mister stainless) and it has an automatic. My understanding is that the family are not sure yet what to do with the car - keep it or sell it. When they make that decision, if it's sell, I will get detail and pictures and pass them on. The car is a result of 10 years of loving restoration and has had few miles put on since that time as just as he completed it he came down with his illness.

Yukionna - my '57 is Pontiac's version of the Nomad and it's called a (are you ready for this?) Star Chief Safari 2 dr Wagon, or Safari for short. They only made 1,292 of them in 1957 as they cost considerably more than the Chevy Nomad due to things like power steering and brakes, power windows and antenna, leather seats etc. All of these could be added to the Nomad as options but not very many were. We found ours as a wreck and rebuilt it from the ground up, used it hard for 20 years, then did a second restoration five years ago. We put between 5,000 and 7,000 miles a year on it and have a ton of fun and there's been a few years where we put a lot more than that for miles on it. It's our tow vehicle of choice so it sees hard duty. The Nomad and Safari are almost twins in most ways and the only reason I went for the Safari over the Nomad at the time was that several of my buddies had Nomads and I wanted to be a bit different. Most of the restoration parts on my Safari are from Nomad parts suppliers so that tells you how close the two are.

There are a lot of motorcycle wrecking yards and I suspect you could find the pipes you need through one of them. The Harley word means the price may be higher than most of the Japanese bike parts but well worth it. I know of several folks who keep their Harley's and a few Triumph's running solely on parts they acquire from the bike wreckers. Keeps the cost of ownership way down, the parts are typically very good, and sadly there is an ongoing supply of fresh parts. If you don't have any success finding one in your area let me know and I can check out with the local guys for suggestions on people in your area.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 10:59 AM   #84
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
What kind of biking do you do? From looking at your userid I would venture a guess that you do alot of enduro trail biking? What kind of bike do you use for that?
I ride a 01' KTM 125 EXC.....it's perfectly set up for me and was lowered professionally cause I'm only 5'4. It weighs about 225lb so it's light and easy to handle in the woods. I raced 03' & 04' competitively here in New England in the woman's class in Enduro's...now I'm my son's pit mom...he does the Jr. Enduro's in the 85cc class in NETRA.

I also have a Suzuki DR 350 dual sport that I put around the street on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KTM.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	21266  
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote