Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-11-2006, 07:07 AM   #71
Rivet Master
 
enduroryda's Avatar
 
1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 994
Images: 9
Wow Yuki.....Nice ride...Congratulations!!!! That look like it's in great shape for a resto. Your gonna be turning heads! Love the red. Is it kick or electric??? Have fun! Ann
__________________

__________________
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:18 PM   #72
Rivet Master
 
yukionna's Avatar
 
Massachusetts
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: 1964 17' Bambi II
Posts: 4,278
Images: 18
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by enduroryda
Wow Yuki.....Nice ride...Congratulations!!!! That look like it's in great shape for a resto. Your gonna be turning heads! Love the red. Is it kick or electric??? Have fun! Ann
Thanks! It is kick AND electric! I heard that 1979 was the last year for the kick start and that it was phased out during the 1979 production year. I turned it over tonight and it is LOUD! Yikes, it is even louder than my neighbor's Hellcat! I don't think it will pass inspection being that loud so will need to figure out a "plan B" for inspection purposes. Besides the pipes, there is alot of after market additions such as seat, front forks, speedometer, carborator (sp), manifold, air cleaner, marker lights, pegs, ignition system, oil cooler, rear shocks and springs. Lots of chrome too.
__________________

__________________
WBCCI Region One

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:12 PM   #73
Rivet Master
 
cameront120's Avatar
 
1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,422
Images: 23
Just tell the inspector that loud pipes save lives.
I ride British bikes and have always prefered the louder note of a bike with minimal muffling. Mind you, the British parallel twins aren't usually as loud as the American V-twins without muffling. Enjoy your ride and keep the shiny side up!
__________________
Cameron & the Labradors, Kai & Samm
North Vancouver, BC
Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! - Mame Dennis
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:26 PM   #74
More than one rivet loose
 
thecatsandi's Avatar

 
Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,754
Mid life crisis, no mid-life awakening. I packed up my house, put my cats in a foster home, bought an Airstream, and moved 3/4 of the way across the US. I currently live in my Airstream. quite comfortable.
__________________
Michelle TAC MT-0
Sarah, Snowball

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:00 PM   #75
Rivet Master
 
safari57's Avatar
 
1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,790
Images: 10
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Well, no midlife crisis so to speak but I did feel the need to replace a 1970 chevelle we had from 1970 to 1979. I'd like another motorcycle as well but with no feeling in my hands and arms I'd be a statistic pretty darned quickly which is why the last one went down the road without me on it (boo hiss). So we've added the Chevelle to the stable and with that if a mid life crisis does come along I'll be able to handle it. Now as for my wife she has her own way to fend it off. It's called shoes. I've noticed her collection has increased quite significantly lately so.......

Barry
__________________
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 12:32 AM   #76
Rivet Master
 
1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 945
Permanent issue?

Barry -

Sorry to hear that you are missing some of the FUN to be had on bikes due to the ' no feeling' issue. Permanent?? Hope not. Well, if it is, then as you have found, there are plently of healthy ways to 'get around' it....

Never let life's little 'ups and down's', slow you down! I've had plenty try to get me down in my 43/44 years and "they ain't caught me yet!!!" Never will neither!

BTW - You wouldn't perchance have any old Nomads or 6 hanging around, would you??? I used to have a neighbor in the early 80's that was a NUT for them and well, I am about at the "Nuts for them" stage...

Just curious!

Axel
__________________
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 01:40 AM   #77
Rivet Master
 
safari57's Avatar
 
1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,790
Images: 10
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverToy
Barry -

Sorry to hear that you are missing some of the FUN to be had on bikes due to the ' no feeling' issue. Permanent?? Hope not. Well, if it is, then as you have found, there are plently of healthy ways to 'get around' it....

Never let life's little 'ups and down's', slow you down! I've had plenty try to get me down in my 43/44 years and "they ain't caught me yet!!!" Never will neither!

BTW - You wouldn't perchance have any old Nomads or 6 hanging around, would you??? I used to have a neighbor in the early 80's that was a NUT for them and well, I am about at the "Nuts for them" stage...

Just curious!

Axel
Sadly Axle, no extra Nomads in stock. Through the 90's I sold off a lot of my cars and my last harley (a '79 also but a 1200 fatboy - I would love to have Yukionna's sportster sitting in my shop right now....). I am down to just the '57, the '70 and the Airstream (for the moment at least). A buddy back in our home town still has the '55 he bought in 64 and the '57 he bought in '69. Wish I'd of kept more of my stuff over the years. The last time I saw a decent Nomad for sale it was selling for a LOT more money than I ever thought one of those cars could be sold for and it was gone in a matter of days. I guess there's a lot of folks massaging their mid life crisis's.
Barry
__________________
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 02:20 AM   #78
Rivet Master
 
1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 945
Not an EXTRA Nomad - I want YOURS!

Barry -

BTW - The spelling was correct. AXEL. not axle. Common mistake. Not an issue.

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I don't want an EXTRA Nomad - I want the one YOU wanted for yours! Don't want the million hours car. I want a really good 1 hundred hr. car. THE one you wanted for yourself!

Used to belong to a classic Lincoln Car Club ('62 4dr with Suicide Doors and Champagne leather interior) and although I had NO $'s at the time and went for the wrecks, the guys who loved cars AND MADE $ were the guys who had the bucks to buy the right car in the correct condition... The rest, as they say in investment brochures, is money in the bank! .... or a hole to dump lots and lots and lots of MONEY into.....

Glad to hear that you are in good condition physically, and if you run accross a NOMAD in the 'CORRECT' condition, DO CALL ME FIRST! 286/3 on the tree is my prefered set up. Seriously!!!!!

Had an uncle with that motor/tranny in a '55 sedan that he used as a parts runner, and I still wish I had that car! White with blue! He also had a 'SuperBird' in "Red" in for a LOT of repairs, that he let go for zero $'s even though the guy couldn't/didn't pay for the repairs.... he needed the space in his 3 stall garage on old Rt30! I OFFERED to pay the bill plus extra - coulda' traded college for that!

Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

Axel
__________________
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 06:20 AM   #79
Rivet Master
 
yukionna's Avatar
 
Massachusetts
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: 1964 17' Bambi II
Posts: 4,278
Images: 18
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
1956 Chevy Nomad

Sweet car! I had never heard of that model before and just looked it up. Very nice.

Safari57 -- what model/year Nomad do you own?

Here's a pic of a restored '56 station wagon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1956 Chevy Nomad.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	21264  
__________________
WBCCI Region One

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 06:51 AM   #80
Rivet Master
 
enduroryda's Avatar
 
1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 994
Images: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
Thanks! It is kick AND electric! I heard that 1979 was the last year for the kick start and that it was phased out during the 1979 production year. I turned it over tonight and it is LOUD! Yikes, it is even louder than my neighbor's Hellcat! I don't think it will pass inspection being that loud so will need to figure out a "plan B" for inspection purposes. Besides the pipes, there is alot of after market additions such as seat, front forks, speedometer, carborator (sp), manifold, air cleaner, marker lights, pegs, ignition system, oil cooler, rear shocks and springs. Lots of chrome too.
Sounds like you got the best of both worlds...That's great that it has electric...they can be a bear to kick!...always good to have a back-up kick just in case your battery dies...or you could find an incline and pop start it...been there done that.

I wish I new more about your pipes so I could help with a solution to pass inspection. They are making us do mandatory sound tests at all our races now so we have to re-pack our silencers every 2-3 races. Sound is a huge issue and some of the bikes are obnoxiously loud...I'm all for it. On the street tho it's a whole other issue...today you have people on cell phones w/ their radios blasting and sometimes they just don't see you...if that's what it takes to make them notice you is a blip of the throttle then I say keep em loud....just don't abuse it. Well...drive safe and happy trails!!
__________________
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 06:54 AM   #81
Retired Moderator
 
john hd's Avatar
 
1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,644
Images: 40
yuki

nice ride!

you can always put stock mufflers on for inspection, they can be had cheap used at your dealer as most people just throw them away.

if you ever find the stock header pipe hang onto it as they are somewhat rare and make the most horsepower. they are unmistakable, as they are "X" shaped.

john
__________________
you call them ferrets, i call them weasels.
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 08:49 AM   #82
Rivet Master
 
yukionna's Avatar
 
Massachusetts
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: 1964 17' Bambi II
Posts: 4,278
Images: 18
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by enduroryda
Sounds like you got the best of both worlds...That's great that it has electric...they can be a bear to kick!...always good to have a back-up kick just in case your battery dies...or you could find an incline and pop start it...been there done that.

I wish I new more about your pipes so I could help with a solution to pass inspection. They are making us do mandatory sound tests at all our races now so we have to re-pack our silencers every 2-3 races. Sound is a huge issue and some of the bikes are obnoxiously loud...I'm all for it. On the street tho it's a whole other issue...today you have people on cell phones w/ their radios blasting and sometimes they just don't see you...if that's what it takes to make them notice you is a blip of the throttle then I say keep em loud....just don't abuse it. Well...drive safe and happy trails!!
What kind of biking do you do? From looking at your userid I would venture a guess that you do alot of enduro trail biking? What kind of bike do you use for that?
__________________
WBCCI Region One

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 10:12 AM   #83
Rivet Master
 
safari57's Avatar
 
1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,790
Images: 10
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverToy
Barry -

BTW - The spelling was correct. AXEL. not axle. Common mistake. Not an issue.

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I don't want an EXTRA Nomad - I want the one YOU wanted for yours! Don't want the million hours car. I want a really good 1 hundred hr. car. THE one you wanted for yourself!

Used to belong to a classic Lincoln Car Club ('62 4dr with Suicide Doors and Champagne leather interior) and although I had NO $'s at the time and went for the wrecks, the guys who loved cars AND MADE $ were the guys who had the bucks to buy the right car in the correct condition... The rest, as they say in investment brochures, is money in the bank! .... or a hole to dump lots and lots and lots of MONEY into.....

Glad to hear that you are in good condition physically, and if you run accross a NOMAD in the 'CORRECT' condition, DO CALL ME FIRST! 286/3 on the tree is my prefered set up. Seriously!!!!!

Had an uncle with that motor/tranny in a '55 sedan that he used as a parts runner, and I still wish I had that car! White with blue! He also had a 'SuperBird' in "Red" in for a LOT of repairs, that he let go for zero $'s even though the guy couldn't/didn't pay for the repairs.... he needed the space in his 3 stall garage on old Rt30! I OFFERED to pay the bill plus extra - coulda' traded college for that!

Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

Axel
From time to time I get Berry so I know what you mean. My fingers type faster than my brain can feed them the info some times and since we were talking cars..........well, you know what I mean. One of the folks in our car club passed from cancer in January. He had a beautiful '57 Nomad - close to stock but every nut and bolt is stainless (we called him mister stainless) and it has an automatic. My understanding is that the family are not sure yet what to do with the car - keep it or sell it. When they make that decision, if it's sell, I will get detail and pictures and pass them on. The car is a result of 10 years of loving restoration and has had few miles put on since that time as just as he completed it he came down with his illness.

Yukionna - my '57 is Pontiac's version of the Nomad and it's called a (are you ready for this?) Star Chief Safari 2 dr Wagon, or Safari for short. They only made 1,292 of them in 1957 as they cost considerably more than the Chevy Nomad due to things like power steering and brakes, power windows and antenna, leather seats etc. All of these could be added to the Nomad as options but not very many were. We found ours as a wreck and rebuilt it from the ground up, used it hard for 20 years, then did a second restoration five years ago. We put between 5,000 and 7,000 miles a year on it and have a ton of fun and there's been a few years where we put a lot more than that for miles on it. It's our tow vehicle of choice so it sees hard duty. The Nomad and Safari are almost twins in most ways and the only reason I went for the Safari over the Nomad at the time was that several of my buddies had Nomads and I wanted to be a bit different. Most of the restoration parts on my Safari are from Nomad parts suppliers so that tells you how close the two are.

There are a lot of motorcycle wrecking yards and I suspect you could find the pipes you need through one of them. The Harley word means the price may be higher than most of the Japanese bike parts but well worth it. I know of several folks who keep their Harley's and a few Triumph's running solely on parts they acquire from the bike wreckers. Keeps the cost of ownership way down, the parts are typically very good, and sadly there is an ongoing supply of fresh parts. If you don't have any success finding one in your area let me know and I can check out with the local guys for suggestions on people in your area.

Barry
__________________
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 11:59 AM   #84
Rivet Master
 
enduroryda's Avatar
 
1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 994
Images: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
What kind of biking do you do? From looking at your userid I would venture a guess that you do alot of enduro trail biking? What kind of bike do you use for that?
I ride a 01' KTM 125 EXC.....it's perfectly set up for me and was lowered professionally cause I'm only 5'4. It weighs about 225lb so it's light and easy to handle in the woods. I raced 03' & 04' competitively here in New England in the woman's class in Enduro's...now I'm my son's pit mom...he does the Jr. Enduro's in the 85cc class in NETRA.

I also have a Suzuki DR 350 dual sport that I put around the street on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KTM.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	21266  
__________________

__________________
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shell's Back On! funchucky1 Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame 102 08-15-2004 09:21 PM
Whipple Supercharger Experience? JaceBeck On The Road... 13 12-04-2002 01:10 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.