Old 09-09-2005, 06:28 PM   #57
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Mid Life???

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry
Ok Iím trying to figure this one out when is MID LIFE ??

Iím sure I had many (mid life crises) but which one counted as mid life and not just another disaster along the way?

If I had to pick just one it would be getting laid off and being forced into retirement only to find out I liked retirement and don't know how I ever had time to work.

Garry
When I grow up I may find an answer for this perplexing question, but at 66 I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do with my life!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 01:57 PM   #58
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Oh Boy....

Mid-Life Crisis...I'm 52 now, & savin all My pennies 4 another trip over the pond... I can't afford a CRISIS as well... it'll soon B Our D/Ds B/Day, 34, & like the other 2 & Our Son, ALL still at home, so I jus aint got time 4 a Mid-Life-Crisis... unless I already HAD one & MISSED it, would Mowin the same lawn 2 days runnin B a CRISIS...or R I jus goin NUTZ... My D/W says I goin SENILE... but I keep on tellin Her I'm NOT goin 2 Egypt, I'm goin 2 FLORIDA...
... She also reminds Me that I was made in a corn field, & had 2 shop at the local store 4 the rest of my body parts... when asked what kind of HEAD I wanted I asked 4 a SOFT one, I thought they said BED... LOL...Chris.....

Old 09-12-2005, 02:45 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
I think my mid-life crisis will happen when the kids have all left - the empty nest thing. The kids have been my main mission in life for a very long time. My son is 24 and out, but my (step)daughter is in 11th grade. Without her around we will have much greater freedom to travel with the trailer (she hates trailer travel), but I know I will miss her lots.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:19 PM   #60
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Kids... (bless 'Em )...

Dan, We got 4 kids... rangin from 34 down to 29, & ALL at HOME, still... I dream of the day they fly the nest & leave us in PEACE, 2do Our thing...SIGH.
Yet when any one of them goes away, I FRET, Fone, pull My hair out, till their safe return, I guess I would'nt want it any other way, I Luv 'em 2 bits
tho they drive Me NUTZ, always puttin them first, I go out into the fields wive Mt @Tech, & they TEXT Me 2 C if I OK, or ask if the farmer took Me in 4 the winter, 'cos I resemble a Scarecrow...Sigh...So I ask the D/W if She wanna go 2 Florida 4 a weeks break, & leave them 2 it, next thing I kn, we ALL goin, but not 4 jus a week, 21 nites...Oh Y can't I get NO PEACE...LOL,
So Mid Life crisis...whatever it is...I've either Had it, Got it or goin fro it...
Deep Breath, count 2 TEN... Smoke alarm goin off, guess that's My supper well & truely GRILLED... Bet it was Lisa, BLESS HER...Chris.....
Old 09-19-2005, 05:23 PM   #61
jdb
jdb

2005 22' International CCD
Somewhere , Currently moving east to west
I took up whitewater kayaking...

as a great midlife activity about five years ago. It's the only sport I've ever engaged in that truly scares me. I rode motorcycles when I was young (still ride bicycles, but that's different, huh?) but gave it up when I had kids and never took it back up. Good luck, stay safe, and remember, they really CAN"T OR WON"T SEE YOU! It gives defensive driving a whole new meaning.

Whitewater kayaking is pure, distilled adrenaline, the single malt scotch of action sports. I love it. I live in the Four Corners area (Utah, New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado) of the west and we have spectacular opportunities to kayak. This year was a great whitewater year, the best in about the last ten. I highly recommend it for a mid life crisis. It helps put things in perspective.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:54 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
I have always enjoyed Bluegrass Music and particularly the 5 String Banjo. So as I approach my retirement in a few years, I've started taking banjo lessons. Hopefully, by the time I retire, I'll be halfway decent and can travel in my Airstream to Bluegrass Festivals and do some pickin' without embarressing myself.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 11:28 AM   #63
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by rseagle
I have always enjoyed Bluegrass Music and particularly the 5 String Banjo. So as I approach my retirement in a few years, I've started taking banjo lessons. Hopefully, by the time I retire, I'll be halfway decent and can travel in my Airstream to Bluegrass Festivals and do some pickin' without embarressing myself.
Have to do it!!!!

What's the difference between a banjo and a chain saw? The chain saw has greater dynamic range. What's the least-used sentence in the English language? "Isn't that the banjo player's Porsche?" What do you say to a banjo player in a three-piece suit? "Will the defendant please rise?" There's nothing I like better than the sound of a banjo, unless of course it's the sound of a chicken caught in a vacuum cleaner.
Female five string banjoist shouting at her boyfriend in a crowded shopping mall: "Don't forget, sweetheart, I need a new G string."

Old 09-24-2005, 12:09 PM   #64
3 Rivet Member

bought my first red sportscar at 21 my second at 26 and my third at 42
Old 09-24-2005, 12:16 PM   #65
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I find that I'm kind of like Roger in this regard. Additionally, I've done most of the fun stuff like skydiving, boating, RVing, sports cars, pinball machines, women (before I met my wife), etc.

What I find is that we boys and our toys (and I am sure women are similar), the toys only get more expensive as you get older. First it's HotWheels cars, then big wheel/tricycle/greenmachines, bicycles, motorcycles, cars, boats, houses, RVs, etc.

By no means do I suggest or promote not saving for retirement or for later years, but I also come from the point of view that you could be gone at any time....tomorrow is not promised to us, so take as much enjoyment you can afford to as long as it is not at the expense of others.

Sermon complete (from a gen "x"er).
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 08:36 PM   #66
2 Rivet Member
Airstream Dealer

2001 25' Excella
Spokane Valley , Washington
Mid life

We had a mid life splurge and bought an 87 Mercedes 560 SL, just cuz I always thought they look so awesome. Sometimes the dream is better than the reality. I always leave the hard top on, cuz I'm going somewhere convertible hair won't be acceptable or it's too hot without the top or you get a perfect day but it looks like it may rain.

And there is something very not cool and also embarrassing about taking more than 3 minutes to extract yourself from the car and knocking your sunglasses off in the process. That's a midlife crisis!

I find the trailer more mid life "comfortable."
Old 10-07-2005, 06:30 AM   #67
1 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
Punta Gorda , Florida
midlife. What's that all about?

At 65 I'm a "TOYS R US KID" and I don't want to grow up. Left corporate America seven years ago, sold the stuff storage area, went full time, bought a place in Florida (Paradise Park) that has a golf course, did a little workamper stuff, many new friends and good times. I have a great wife, my golf clubs and a tool box. What more could anyone ask for? When I'm through pullin' this AS (I hope I know when it's time) we'll settle down someplace. PL AN AHE AD YOU SA Y? Life's tough enough, I'm enjoying while I can.

Any comments?
Gary and Carol
buds in a can Did I mention we sold our Goldwing and my dirt bikes?
Old 10-07-2005, 10:00 AM   #68
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
By no means do I suggest or promote not saving for retirement or for later years, but I also come from the point of view that you could be gone at any time....tomorrow is not promised to us, so take as much enjoyment you can afford to as long as it is not at the expense of others.

Sermon complete (from a gen "x"er).
Amen (from a "boomer")!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 10:35 AM   #69
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1975 27' Overlander
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by rseagle
You'll have to join us for the Bluegrass Festival in Chattanooga. It is always the first weekend in May. We have loads of fun! PM me if you are interested.
Air #2757
1989 SquareStream (Annie #8)
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 06:19 AM   #70
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
.... I finally went for my motorcycle license last month and purchased my first bike!
It's been almost a year since I first posted information on my mid-life crisis. It now appears that my case of aluminitis is spreading to motorcycles (not sure if there is a term for this latest affliction) -- I purchased a vintage '79 HD XLH sportster motorcyle to restore.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1979_HD_XLH.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	21242  

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote