Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2005, 11:24 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Mid-life Crisis

JUST A BEND IN THE WINDING ROAD OF LIFE IS WHAT MID-LIFE CRISIS IS ALL ABOUT. WE ALL SUFFER DOWN THE ROAD OF LIFE OUR TRIALS AND TRIBULATIONS, JUST THINK BACK ON ALL THE GOOD MEMORIES WE'VE ALL MADE OVER THE LONG HAUL. OH YEAH, PORKY.... SOMETIMES THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL IS A FAST MOVING FREIGHT TRAIN BEARING DOWN ON YOU!!!! FWIW BIG ED.
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 11:36 AM   #42
Rivet Master

I bought some land for to park my Argosy.

Some say that there is a house on the land. ( Whatever ! )
Attached Images

mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 11:48 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave
Some say that there is a house on the land. ( Whatever ! )
Too funny, we bought our Argosy to park on our land
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 12:12 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
I think the REAL mid life crisis comes when you realize that all the toys in the world don't do it for you! Then what?
Old 05-23-2005, 12:14 PM   #45
Southern Comfort

Mid Life Crisis it's a great excuse

Hey Yukionna, Congrats on the Motorcycle. Its good to hear that you are out there putting miles on your bike and practicing what you learned in the safety class. It's funny but when I took the safety course there were only 2 guys in the class of 12 the rest were all women of every age group. Nothing is sexier than a woman with her own bike. As for Mid life crisis, I'm 42 and I use the excuse everytime I "need" a new toy. First I moved to the county, then the John Deere tractor with the frontend loader, then my 78 Argosy MH, Then my Yamaha 1600 Road Star with the trailer of course so that I could tow it with my MH. As for my boat, my wife said my canoe with a 9hp outboard is all I'm allowed right now. Anyway keep it safe and enjoy life is tooooo short.

Ray
Ray Pena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 01:59 PM   #46
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
I saw JohnHD's post on the 8' bed for traveling with the bike. I only have the 6' bed in my GMC Sierra so am thinking about either cocking the front wheel so I can close the tailgate (is this a safe and secure solution?) or removing the tailgate so I can keep the bike straight in the bed (the rear wheel sits 2" inside the end of the truck bed (is this safe?).
yuki

any way you can get it in the bed with or without the tailgate is ok. as long as you do the following...

bike straight up, do not leave it on the kickstand!

4 quality tiedowns, the ratchet type are the best.

leave the bike in neutral, leaving it in gear will allow the minor movements of travel to loosen your drive sprocket and/or parts inside the transmission.

blocking up the front wheel to keep it straight, some folks do this, i find no need with good tiedowns. you also run the risk of damaging the front tire on long trips.

good luck and happy biking!

john
Old 05-23-2005, 06:03 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
I kinda hate to mention it but.... the average life expectancy of men is 77.2 according to the latest gov facts....

77.2 / 2 = 38.6. You're there!
!
sheesh if I was 77.1 I'd be a little nervous!
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 06:58 PM   #48
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
sheesh if I was 77.1 I'd be a little nervous!
Not to worry alansd - YOU are not average - ever.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 04:07 PM   #49
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I bought a '91 BMW K75RT a couple of years ago. My first (and only, to date) bike. Best thing I ever did was take the rider course. In my opinion, whenever you read about the all-to-frequent single bike crashes, it could well be that the rider never learned how to (counter) steer and stop quickly.

Page and I have adressed our mid-life crises by gearing up to be retired. Got the Airstream, the new tow, and got the nut covered. Still working a little part-time, but we are done with the full-time grind.

See you on the road.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 06:26 PM   #50
2 Rivet Member

[
john

The pan head looks great as a tower. a couple of questions - 1 why buy an Airstream compaired to the new 5th wheels these days. Costs are compairable but, much more room in a 5th wheel. ???? Why and Airstream over these ????
I can tow an Airstream with my truck now but ,would need a NEW RIG FOR A 5TH WHEEL
abbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 06:31 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

Nice Bike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[ Nice Bike !!! Is your truck a short bed ??? and if so, how will it tow with your bike in the truck ??? Why an Airstream vs. a big 5th wheel ???? Costs are compairable buy, 5th wheels now have it all ??? We are shopping and would appreciate any imput. Thanks Norm
abbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 06:34 PM   #52
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
abby

the nice thing about airstreams vs 5er's is that you can have a lighter tow vehicle.

can't say that about a 1 ton dually.

john
Old 06-03-2005, 09:14 AM   #53
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey
[Why an Airstream vs. a big 5th wheel ???? Costs are compairable buy, 5th wheels now have it all ??? We are shopping and would appreciate any imput. Thanks Norm
Airstreams tend to hang together, longer than a comparable fifth wheeler. The price is about the same, but when you factor in Airstream's longer life cycle, and higher resale value, it comes out less money in the long run. Also, you wouldn't need to buy a dualie truck to haul an Airstream. I am told (by a salesman, so it should be taken for what it might be) that Airstreams are about the only travel trailer that banks will give 15 year loans on.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:59 AM   #54
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Mid-life crisis update

I broke 1,000 miles on my bike last weekend and am feeling much more comfortable on the bike! Woohoo! After being laid up for two months this summer with a broken ankle, it felt good to get back on the bike in August.

Signs that I'm more comfortable:
1) I no longer hold onto the bike with a "death grip"
2) I plan my routes on back roads with curves in them
3) I try to ride everyday
4) I still talk out loud to myself, but not so much now
5) I tried the highway
6) I look forward to riding after dark
7) I don't fear the rain
8) I've been told by my riding partners that I now "accelerate aggressively thru the gears" from a stop (I'm not sure I totally agree with that statement, tho )

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 07:22 AM   #55
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Post Way to go!

Our mid life crisis included getting married, changing jobs/getting certified to teach, and having a baby. After the baby the airstream. Now we get asked if we're our son's grandparents all the time-- I say no honey, great-grandparents!! I wonder what we'll do when we're seniors to top this?? LOL.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:42 AM   #56
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
I kinda hate to mention it but.... the average life expectancy of men is 77.2 according to the latest gov facts....

77.2 / 2 = 38.6. You're there!

Mid life has arrived. Go out and buy stuff - now!
Being 38.8 that info doesnt thrill me all that much. Am I allowed only one midlife crisis? My crisises manifest themselves more in how I spend my time than in what I buy (although there is some obvious overlap ie airstream trailer) . As long as mine remain non-materially based in nature, I guess they are for the better. On the other hand, I have come to worry more about the folks who are to numb to even have a crisis.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 05:28 PM   #57
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Mid Life???

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry
Ok I’m trying to figure this one out when is MID LIFE ??

I’m sure I had many (mid life crises) but which one counted as mid life and not just another disaster along the way?

If I had to pick just one it would be getting laid off and being forced into retirement only to find out I liked retirement and don't know how I ever had time to work.

Garry
When I grow up I may find an answer for this perplexing question, but at 66 I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do with my life!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 12:57 PM   #58
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Oh Boy....

Mid-Life Crisis...I'm 52 now, & savin all My pennies 4 another trip over the pond... I can't afford a CRISIS as well... it'll soon B Our D/Ds B/Day, 34, & like the other 2 & Our Son, ALL still at home, so I jus aint got time 4 a Mid-Life-Crisis... unless I already HAD one & MISSED it, would Mowin the same lawn 2 days runnin B a CRISIS...or R I jus goin NUTZ... My D/W says I goin SENILE... but I keep on tellin Her I'm NOT goin 2 Egypt, I'm goin 2 FLORIDA...
... She also reminds Me that I was made in a corn field, & had 2 shop at the local store 4 the rest of my body parts... when asked what kind of HEAD I wanted I asked 4 a SOFT one, I thought they said BED... LOL...Chris.....
Old 09-12-2005, 01:45 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
I think my mid-life crisis will happen when the kids have all left - the empty nest thing. The kids have been my main mission in life for a very long time. My son is 24 and out, but my (step)daughter is in 11th grade. Without her around we will have much greater freedom to travel with the trailer (she hates trailer travel), but I know I will miss her lots.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:19 PM   #60
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Kids... (bless 'Em )...

Dan, We got 4 kids... rangin from 34 down to 29, & ALL at HOME, still... I dream of the day they fly the nest & leave us in PEACE, 2do Our thing...SIGH.
Yet when any one of them goes away, I FRET, Fone, pull My hair out, till their safe return, I guess I would'nt want it any other way, I Luv 'em 2 bits
tho they drive Me NUTZ, always puttin them first, I go out into the fields wive Mt @Tech, & they TEXT Me 2 C if I OK, or ask if the farmer took Me in 4 the winter, 'cos I resemble a Scarecrow...Sigh...So I ask the D/W if She wanna go 2 Florida 4 a weeks break, & leave them 2 it, next thing I kn, we ALL goin, but not 4 jus a week, 21 nites...Oh Y can't I get NO PEACE...LOL,
So Mid Life crisis...whatever it is...I've either Had it, Got it or goin fro it...
Deep Breath, count 2 TEN... Smoke alarm goin off, guess that's My supper well & truely GRILLED... Bet it was Lisa, BLESS HER...Chris.....