Old 04-22-2004, 10:33 PM   #1
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Microwave rotating dish in transit....

Anyone that has the Samsung (or similar) microwave with the round dish/plate inside that rotates when in use....do you keep it in location in transit or do you take it out and put it back once you park?

Thanks!

Old 04-23-2004, 08:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Eric, we leave it in place. It holds a plastic MW popcorn popper when not in use, and we stuff a bunch of lighter stuff that would slide around on the counter, into the MW before traveling. That holds it down pretty well.

We put most of the galley counter stuff in the sink. Same in the bathroom... rake all the stuff off the counter into the sink. Don't forget to take the shower head out of its holder and lay it on a towel on the floor. If it bounced out and dropped that far it could crack the fiberglas.

Old 04-23-2004, 08:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Leave it in, but I think the weight of a mh might keep things from bouncing as much as a trailer, plus when roads are really rough you probably slow down quicker as you hear more what is banging and clanging (I've wondered what it is like in my toad as it bounces through the ruts). It does come off the wheel ring sometimes, I thought about putting a piece of the non slip rubber under the glass but haven't bothered.

John
Old 04-23-2004, 08:28 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1992 30' Airstream 30
Santa Rosa , Northern California wine country
I leave mine in too, but it has come off the rotater wheel. Never a problem though. I never thought about the shower head. It has never come out of it's holder, even on bumps. What I don't like is all the rattling that occurs while traveling over those seems on the freeway. Every half second for maybe a mile I come across these seems on some parts of a freeway, and it rattles the heck out of the back of the MH, especially the fridge area.
Old 04-23-2004, 08:29 AM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Great input. Thanks Moe and John.

You know, one thing that I had never even considered was the shower head. You all know where I'm off to right now before we leave!

Eric
Old 04-23-2004, 08:47 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
This IS great info to know- anything else that should be tied down? What do people do about loose chairs? like the light weight dining ones? I was figuring on lots of bungee cords. What about glass jars in the pantry, or in the frigerator? And what do you do with books. phone and computer? This says a lot about my bringing my beta fish along- but that's another thread. Silver suz
Old 04-23-2004, 09:39 AM   #7
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
There seems to be a lot of difference in the way coaches ride. I was always amazed at how bumpy and rattly the ride in the 325 was. I balanced the tires, put a couple of new ones on, made sure the suspension was working (it was) and all that, and still, we got tossed around inside more than I'd expected. The microwave, the dishes, pots and pans, and fridge all got tossed around pretty regularly.

With the 34' Limited trailer, I've forgotten and left things on the counters, and on the table (napkin holder, etc.) on more than one occasion, driven a couple of hundred miles over crummy roads, and when I got back into the trailer, the items hadn't moved at all. I have (geez, it pains me to admit this ) even forgotten to take the 19" TV off the credenza and put it on the floor, driven a hundred miles, and found it right where I left it on the credenza, unmoved. To make this even more interesting, it sits on a custom shelf that the satellite receiver sits under. It's really unbelievable how smooth the trailer rides, especially when compared with our 325.
Old 04-23-2004, 09:49 AM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
In the cabinets and closets, I use that foam type cabinet liner that you can get from almost any place. It stops a bunch of stuff from sliding around in the cabinets in transit. As for chairs, I have those camping folding chairs that come in their own case and I place them in the dinette seat storage for transit. Those all seem to work well. I suspect having dual or in Roger's case triple axles can make a world of difference...although the Bambi did also ride smooth.
Old 04-23-2004, 01:35 PM   #9
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1975 27' Overlander
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Glass in cabinets

Our PO had attached some cloth glass holders to the top of the cabinets to transport glasses. I thought this was a neat idea. It not only took up less space, but held the glasses in place for the ride. I also use non-slip cabinet liners to keep dishes from moving around.

We always leave the rotating glass in the microwave and haven't had any problem. Didn't think about the shower head though. I will come off its support this weekend in preparation for our next trip on Wednesday.

Our Airstream rides pretty smooth. Even the bouncing and swaying we took when we hit the ladder in the middle of the freeway last weekend didn't knock the grills off the counter. Needless to say, we were all amazed.
Air #2757
1989 SquareStream (Annie #8)
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 01:56 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
We'd never had a problem with the MW plate, until recently. Brett took a glass bowl full of fruit and stowed it inside the microwave when we left the Florida State rally. On the penultimate turn on the way home, the fruit and bowl gained enough momentum to knock the door of the MW open. The fruit, bowl AND MW plate went crashing to the floor.

I'm still looking for a replacement MW plate.
Old 04-23-2004, 02:06 PM   #11

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
The rear of the trailer does a lot of bouncing so understand that things in rear drawers will take a beating. I put a foam underlayment in the cabinet drawer that sat between the twin beds in the rear of my '01 Safari.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 02:36 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Some of the office supply and packing and shipping places sell 1/8" thick foam that's 1 foot wide and 30 feet or so long, perforated every foot like toilet paper.

Sheets of this are good for placing between dishes, but the best use is in the liquor cabinet. Remove every other bottle, place a strip in there, then put them back. Winds up with foam snaked back and forth between the bottles. Folds flat when not in use.
Old 04-23-2004, 02:43 PM   #13
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Isn't it amazing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadKingMoe
but the best use is in the liquor cabinet.
Moe, John HD, Twinkie, et. al. ... Isn't it amazing how booze somehow manages to sneak it's way into so many threads? I AM appalled. That would be "appalled" with Capital "A", two "P"s and two "L"s. I'd like to write more, but I think I'm going to go mix a drink first.

Roger
Old 04-23-2004, 03:21 PM   #14
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadKingMoe
Some of the office supply and packing and shipping places sell 1/8" thick foam
Also Lowes and HD.

John