Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-09-2009, 04:17 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
When you said meltdown, I thought you meant Jenny's new budget recommendations- she wants to increase taxes on entertainment, as well as increase taxes AND reduce incentives for businesses.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:40 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
Soon... October 2nd
Remember, be nice!!!
Uh-oh! "Michael Moore" & "be nice" in the same post? I'd better be nice & leave this thread now...

Love,

"Reality Is The Leading Cause Of Stress"
"There are only five great men in the world and three of them are hamburgers."
rgesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:53 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Yeah you either are hot or cold about him, but hardly is anyone lukewarm about him! Don't leave we can just ignore him. I want to see it though. He says he foretold the current state of events here 20 years ago in Roger and me.

...sometimes you just got to laugh... comic relief with a "tude."

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:05 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Michigan is broke,
USA is broke,
NC is broke,
California is broke.

As long as we have our aluminum toys, we will be fine.
Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Silverwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:10 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Probalby less people hurt over all from nuclear than any other energy source. Including Chernoble, Three mile Island and all the others that we aren't told about.
You got off shore oil platforms going down in storms, coal train accidents, drillers hurt on the rig floor, gas line ruptures, windmill vanes coming off, and all that kind of thing, versus nuclear plants sitting there making electricity. A morning tower driller wrecked up two floor hands one nite on a rig I was doing geology on, crowned the block a few of times, then come asked me to help him go in the hole, nope.
If the French can do nuclear, why not borrow their blueprints and make a hundred more?

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:10 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I know!!! Pass that courtesy parking list. No shopping cart for me. I got a silver palace.

photography
Old 09-11-2009, 07:48 PM   #27
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I'm OK with nuclear. It's the spent fuel that I have a problem with. It takes hundreds of years for the spent fuel to be neutral. That's why Sweden has it buried miles below the earth's surface.

BTW, everyone that worked on containing Chernobyl died of cancer within a few years. No one can live anywhere near the place because of the residual radiation from the initial release is still radioactive. The concrete sarcophagus that encases the reactor will have to be replaced every 250 years for several thousand years. Kind of like if the ancient Egyptians had buried something equally dangerous in the desert at the base of the Great Pyramid at Cheops when it was constructed and we are still under its threat from it.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:29 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Port Huron , Michigan
Hi I live in Port Huron Michigan.I went on line and couldn't find anything about potassium /iodine pills being given out in the Detroit News.When did this appear in the Detroir News? The exact date so I can varify this .Plus for all you nay sayers that thinks Michigan going to slip away .I for ONE love this state.I love our great lakes /our beautiful beaches /the UP/ the Motor City/the DIA.And oh yes the Lions they are going to win one this year.LOL.Yes we have a lot of problems in this state.But we have a lot of tough good Americans.And No MR Lapeer we are not going to Meltdown. As my fatherlaw use to say I wouldn't give one foot of Michigan for all of Texas! We have a beautiful state and we will survive and not meltdown.GOD BLESS AMERICA and MY STATE MICHIGAN TOO MI Silver
mi silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:30 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Nuclear Power

There are 104 nuclear power plants generating electricity in the USA. Constructions permits for another 40 are in the application process. Electrical energy was first produced in the 1950's at Shippingport, PA.

During this time, not one death has been attributed to radiation resulting from reactor operation.

Spent fuel storage is a political problem - not a technical problem.

Nuclear power is the only viable energy source for the future.

The backbone of the US NAVY is nuclear power. Aircraft carriers can operate at full power for years without re-fueling the reactors.

But, the electrical industry and the power grid are relics and could fail under high load demand. If that happens, it could be the initiating factor in the implosion of the Mighty USA and then the world.

I suggest you plant a large garden and raise some livestock
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:02 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi silver View Post
Hi I live in Port Huron Michigan.I went on line and couldn't find anything about potassium /iodine pills being given out in the Detroit News.When did this appear in the Detroir News?
We have a beautiful state and we will survive and not meltdown.GOD BLESS AMERICA and MY STATE MICHIGAN TOO MI Silver
Hi Michigan Silver, yes it is a beautiful state and not a place in the state where you aren't 30 minutes or less to a wonderful park. We were making the trek to Michigan for biking and camping long before we ever were a resident here. No doubt about it, it is very rich in natural resources. We enjoy it's lands, trees and lake shores. We got the best clouds and skies for colors, I think! Actually we would love to live in the UP. We are about 20 plus miles from Flint. If we could find work up North and sell our house we'd be up around Taquamenon Falls or the Porkies or some place like that. Right now we are following the work where ever we can find it. Brad's still in Wisconsin. His season at the resort in Door County ends in October. We may have been more a cheerleader for Motor City while Brad was working 33 years in the industry and not so much now that Delphi took the health and life benefits away in April and now his pension as a salaried worker in July. We are presently too young to die but too old to hire.

The article was on my MSNBC home page for local new on Monday, September 7th. It's freep.com Metro Detroit. Perhaps not the Detroit news source you may have expected to find it in. Here is the link.

Medication in case of meltdown for residents, workers | Detroit Free Press | Freep.com

I'd copy it here again but it is as it is posted in my opening post in its entirety.

photography
Old 09-12-2009, 08:52 AM   #31

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
All of this nuclear meltdown talk reminds me of an uncle of mine when I was a boy. My Uncle Ed lived up in Fort Pierce, Florida (about 100 miles north of Miami). When I was a boy, we would dive up to uncle Ed's to visit. I have vivid memories of riding out to the beach with Uncle Ed. To get there we would have to pass a then fairly new nuclear power plant. I remember him telling me that we needed to hold our breath while we rode by the plant so that we would not breath in any of the radiation. Not knowing any better, I did exactly as I was told.

It must have worked, because Uncle Ed lived into his 90's.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:02 AM   #32
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate View Post
I'm OK with nuclear. It's the spent fuel that I have a problem with. It takes hundreds of years for the spent fuel to be neutral.
Technologically advanced countries like France and Japan don't have this problem. They recycle their spent fuel into new reactor fuel and run it through again. The United States was going to do that until then-President Jimmy Carter canceled the program because he thought fuel reprocessing would encourage nuclear weapon proliferation. So, as someone pointed out, that's not a technical problem, it's a political problem.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:46 PM   #33
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
Technologically advanced countries like France and Japan don't have this problem. They recycle their spent fuel into new reactor fuel and run it through again. The United States was going to do that until then-President Jimmy Carter canceled the program because he thought fuel reprocessing would encourage nuclear weapon proliferation. So, as someone pointed out, that's not a technical problem, it's a political problem.
I guess this means that Sweden is part of our political problems?
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 03:05 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
While on a transit of the Panama Canal, a few years ago, we passed a French freighter that was their dedicated spent fuel transport vessel...It was specially constructed for this service...

I believe they 'stash' all their old spent rods on a remote tropical Isle in South Pacific French Territory...I guess they want all that old radioactive material as far away from the mother country as possible!

Can't blame them, they don't want to spoil they're wine!