Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-20-2005, 03:13 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Men Can't Know

After spending my entire week-end working on the Argosy, I just had to come in and speak up for all the women out there who are working on their AS or Argosys. Not having the upper body strength that you men have can certainly be frustrating. I wonder if you men realize how much work the women on this forum are actually doing when restoring their trailers. I spent the better part of the morning just trying to unscrew that little shelf behind the rear sofa. Someone, a PO possibly, had reattached it with very large flathead screws and then put some heavy duty caulk over them so they would not come out. Well, let me tell you, IT WORKED! I had to lay upside down and take my DeWalt drill and hold it in both hands and still couldn't push hard enough to get anything moving. Then I tried to get the caulk off with a flathead screwdriver but it wouldn't budge. I know when my husband gets home he will smile and go out there and just take it out for me. So I went on to something I could do. I pulled up the carpet to look for water leaks. That took some work too. Pulling carpet is hard for women...and I'm a working nurse so I'm not soft by any means. I take my hat off to all the women out there who are gutting these trailers and working two or three times harder just to get it done. I'm sore, stiff and pooped out. AND I haven't even talked about trying to sand and prime the tongue and gas bottles. Have you ever tried to get gas bottles off when the lock didn't come with a key. You have to get under the tongue and try to get those nuts off and pull it up through that way. You don't want to know how long that took. Bob will be home from Wisc. next week...goody.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 03:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
you GO, girl :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by juel
After spending my entire week-end working on the Argosy, I just had to come in and speak up for all the women out there who are working on their AS or Argosys. Not having the upper body strength that you men have can certainly be frustrating. I wonder if you men realize how much work the women on this forum are actually doing when restoring their trailers.
Juel, what we lack in brawn we have in brains.

Keep telling yourself that.
flamingo-kid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 03:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
and power tools...the great equalizer.

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 04:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
My gosh, I had power tools but I just couldn't push hard enough to get a good grip on that screw head. I'd have to sell the Argosy if it wasn't for power tools. I just get a little frustrated when I can't make something work. Of course with these old trailers sometimes not being able to "strong arm" something means you don't destroy it. I'm having lots of fun though. Judy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0023.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	11060  
Old 03-20-2005, 04:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Talking

Hey! Looking great there! Just remember we can't decorate to save our souls! Least wise I know I can't. It's that colors thing...........
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 04:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
screwdriver

Quote:
My gosh, I had power tools but I just couldn't push hard enough to get a good grip on that screw head. I'd have to sell the Argosy if it wasn't for power tools. I just get a little frustrated when I can't make something work. Of course with these old trailers sometimes not being able to "strong arm" something means you don't destroy it. I'm having lots of fun though. Judy
I have had some amount of luck with loosening stuck screws by soaking them with a little oil.... I have even used cooking oil, in a pinch, but like 3-in-1 the best. (sewing machine oil).

But your situation involved dried putty, too. GROSS.
flamingo-kid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 05:24 PM   #7
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Wink Girls Rock!!

We may not truely know but I can certainly respect and appreciate your desire to aquire the skills needed to rehab your campers. Many women on this forum have been a huge help with my projects and it's not your brawn that I'm talking about. Eljay especially has been a great supporter by following my blog and offering advice and encouragment. I hope that we men can repay the favors by giving advice that helps your tasks move along painlessly.

Best wishes,

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 05:30 PM   #8
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
My gosh, I had power tools but I just couldn't push hard enough to get a good grip on that screw head. Judy
Judy,
One way to make stubborn screws yield is to use a very long screwdriver, so you can use your hands closer to your body, and lean into it, which helps tremendously to get stubborn screws out.
Also, alwasy use sharp screwdrivers, phillips or flat. If the screwdriver tip is worn, it is much more likely to slip over the screw head and cause even the timid ones amongst us to come up with fascinating swear words.
Throw away bad tools - they'll eventually bite you.
Old 03-20-2005, 05:48 PM   #9

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
True enough, the right tools are everything. And a willingness to get rough if necessary. That means bigger hammers, longer screwdrivers, long handled ratchets so you can get a little leverage. Power tools are wonderful. Hats off to you for giving it your all. It's rough work.

I have reached a point in the Caravel where I need an extra hand to do things like fit the fridge and furnace, and it's just tiring and frustrating. I agree 100% with the upper body strength. All you can hope for is that you can outwit (use tools to your advantage whenever possible) and persevere - and it's all worth it in the end!

Hey, I can't decorate worth beans, I guess I didn't get that gene Oh well.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 05:56 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Well I got the decorating gene; however, I didn't get that electronic gene. I've only gotten one picture to post on this site and I don't know how I did that. Tomorrow, or when I get the time to run to a bigger town, I'm going to get some bigger tools. My husband is a Construction Superintendent, but I can find NOTHING in his work room. I know there's 7 table saws and five tool boxes out there, but he's not organized. (neither am I) I'm still waiting for him to come home from Wisc. so I can look truely pitiful and he'll go out and fix things for me. Of course he'll only be home about a week, then I'm on my own again. I'm making a list............
Old 03-20-2005, 06:22 PM   #11
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
I think the womenfolk can do just about anything they set their mind to.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 06:31 PM   #12

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
My great aunt was a 'rosie the riveter' at an airplane plant in Witchita during the war. She's definitly one of the ones who taught me I could do anything, and not to let anyone else tell me otherwise. After she passed away I got all her pictures, with her and her girlfriends wearing PANTS and going out fishing and exploring without any men around. It was quite an exciting time for them!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 06:45 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Looks Nice, Juel!!

Hey Juel, you got a lot more done than I did today! The weather was sunny and 60 for a second day and I started spring cleaning in the trailer. Took a look at the peeling vinyl and couldn't resist giving it a tug. Pretty soon I had all of it peeled off the wall by the sink, and all the old sticky stuff (wallpaper paste?) scrubbed off. I wanted to start bringing up the old carpet, but I had to keep eyes and ears alert for the kids playing in the driveway while I was working. Woman's work is never done!

You're doing a great job on that Argosy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	after.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	11082  
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 06:46 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Steph. I bet that plant is still there. I used to go to Witchita several times a year when I was showing dogs and they are very much into building planes. Mostly private aircraft now but the plants are still there. By the way, Happy Birthday. Oh yes, neither of my grandmothers were allowed to work, mow the yard, use tools or do any heavy lifting. That was "man's" work. When I was growing up I was only allowed to use the lady type garden hoses and tools. My grandfather had two kind of yard tools, one for ladies and one for the men to use. My own father was very shocked when he actually saw me out mowing my own yard one day. He rushed home to tell my mother what he had seen. They got over it EVENTUALLY.
Old 03-20-2005, 06:48 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Jamie, that looks great. I had a little trouble with the wood when I pulled too hard. Maybe I can fix it. What did you use to clean the old sticky stuff off. Email me. Judy
Old 03-20-2005, 07:24 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
If it totally won't move, a last manoeuvre is to drill the screw out. It's rather like drilling out a rivet, aim to the center and drill in. Once you get through, the old screw will pull out (you'll want to use a bit slightly smaller than the screw shank).

Don't let the woman/man thing get to you too much. There are lots of women here who have really done a whole lot on working their airstreams. For me, DH has had to abandon trailer work to go back to school, so I've been on my own. On one side, it's nice being able to call him in when I"m clueless--but most of the times, I go online for advice he doesn't understand, anyways. Mostly the things that intimidate me is metalwork. But. then a member of my WBCCI unit told me one thing that really made me gain confidence...there's almost nothing you can screw up that is completely irreversable or at least compensateable. It may take some doing to reverse it, but it is probably better than doing nothing. So, I drilled out rivets, had a total fiasco refinishing the tub, ripped up the flooring, stripped the furniture, put in new faucets (yes, plumbing, me!!!), even formica'd the shower... and the tub is mostly fixed and my trailer is starting to take shape! Now if I could only get the gumption to take a saw (ergh...what kind of saw???) to the bellypan....

Take heart and go for it!

argh.

Mary
fireflyinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 08:09 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
Now if I could only get the gumption to take a saw (ergh...what kind of saw???) to the bellypan....

Can't you drill out the rivets there too?

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 08:18 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
I could (and tried to), but on longer consideration, I don't want to drop the whole pan. What I really want to do is to cut holes in the bottom. Then I can cover it with removeable sheets of flashing (aka, access panels) that screw back together. That will allow me to check out the frame at this point and access any problem areas in the future.

That said, I still lack courage. My best friend's fiance is a metal worker. He says I should just put on the safety glasses, take a sawzall in hand and let rip. Yeah. Right. Not my feeling at all.

Mary
fireflyinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 09:45 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Hi,
I removed our belly pan. You could start with tin snips (they're metal scissors, sorry if you knew that) and cut out a piece and get some confidence, look at the frame, and then see what you want to do next. I have found that taking the job one small step at a time is best because then all of your plans pretty much go out the window and change. They don't necessarily get worse, they just change.

Do something small down there. Is your trailer up on jacks? We made little ramps out of 2 x 4's and pulled it up on them.

Good luck!!

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 04:10 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Does everyone have to remove the belly pan? Does that sound stupid? I just see so many people on here saying they have done that and I haven't even considered it. I've been under the trailer and seen minimal rust on the visible frame which I am going to sand off and prime with "heavy rusted metal primer". There is no sign this trailer has ever leaked (is that possible) and when I pulled the carpet up, no water damage anywhere. I've looked in all the compartments and under everything and can see no signs. Should I cut through the belly pan just to look or do I need a better reason to get that drastic?