Old 06-07-2005, 10:58 PM   #85
Rivet Master
1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Don't fret!

I've done the rivet removal thing too... sometimes they pop out very easily, sometimes I drill through and they stay there. Try drilling through again. You can enlarge the hole and use a larger rivet, but try posting a pic of what's occuring. I'm sure someone can help you out. Since you're covering it up anyway, you could just put vulkum in the hole, and drill one next to it, and rivet fresh. My Argosy has some holes from the factory like this under the rubrail of our trailer!

3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 05:18 AM   #86
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Well, these rivets are the ones used to hold those end pieces that you slip the vinyl strip under on the rubrail. They will show. I'll try a larger rivet or a screw that I'll have to paint orange. Maybe I should not start these projects after work. I should save them for the week-end when I can concentrate. I wonder if I'll ever get this Argosy out of the yard. I tried sending pic, they never posted. I'll try again later.

juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 06:42 AM   #87
Rivet Master
1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
I'm with Marc--keep on drilling, you can always use a thicker rivet. Have you tested out setting rivets? Get a small nailing plate from the home center (it will cost less than 50 cents) and give it a try, so you can understand the different sizes. If you are really concerned, dip it in a bit of vulkem or parbond before setting it.

Drilling out those round headed (olympic, buck) rivets is tough. I like to use a tap tool to impress a little divot in the center. That makes drilling easier.

In my own experience, it's hard to really hurt your trailer--and darn near impossible to make irreparable damage. You go girl!

Our Airstream adventure continues!
Read the details at Tales of the Toaster
fireflyinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 11:56 AM   #88
3 Rivet Member
Lapeer , Michigan
I am not very good at working on the mechanical stuff on any of my trailers. However, I am good at finding them, hauling them around for others to work on, and convincing my poor husband to PLEASE help me! I decided to birth some help and I have 8 sons and one daughter and believe me, as my sons get older it really helps! They can hook up the trailer and help me back up and do muscle work. Their dad has taught them a lot of stuff that confuses me like electrical and carpentry. I think I am breaking even in compensation for the food bill versus the amount of work they can do....but really, making the trailers a family project has helped them learn new skills as well as have fun camping as a family. If you don't have children, maybe you could borrow some. My young teenagers age 12 to 15 WANT jobs, but it is hard to get regular jobs when young. You could try to find a reliable teen that age and they will work at some of the heavier stuff for reasonable pay. My older sons dropped the belly pan with their dad while I cleaned out the nutshells and pinecones that generations of squirrels and mice had stored there. I was okay with the dead mice but when I found an actual full size petrified dead squirrel under the Safari's mattress I screamed and my older sons rushed in "COOL MOM! Can we keep it for a science project?" NO, NO, NO!!!! I made them throw it away. Mean mother!
froggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 02:31 PM   #89

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Holy cow! Thanks for my laugh for the day I'm so glad we didn't find any science project worthy critters in our bellypan!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:47 PM   #90
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Found this old thread when I was going through my User CP pictures and trying to find a way to delete them. (never did) It's hard to believe I now have two trailers. So much has happened since 05 and that first wonderful Argosy. We were lucky to find the 76 Sovereign that didn't need a lot of repair. Bob is so great at doing the really heavy construction stuff, and I can paint and do the cosmetic things. What a team we have made. We had not been married too long when we got the Argosy, but now we are both loving our land by the lake with our Sovereign on it and the little Argosy sitting out by the house waiting for us to retire and pull him to distant places. I want to mention all the great friends I have made here on this site too. You have all been so helpful and kind. Thanks to each and every one of you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00384.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	62518   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00903.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	62519  

Judy At Home in Oklahoma
juel is offline   Reply With Quote