Old 03-22-2005, 05:20 PM   #71
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
Quote:
Originally Posted by juel
Do men just forge ahead and try things where we just stop and think "what am I going to really mess up if I do this", and "can I fix this if I break it".
in the inimitable words of my father...."i cut it twice and its still too short"...
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 08:45 PM   #72
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Don't cha need a coach first to have a rally? Did you get yours yet Summerkid?

Ahhh, again the strange comfortable silence when asked about the coaches......

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 09:20 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
um, Eric? What is with you? The answer is yes. I just don't log on every second to answer your queries. I was in the bathtub. Sorry.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:54 PM   #74
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerkid
um, Eric? What is with you? The answer is yes. I just don't log on every second to answer your queries. I was in the bathtub. Sorry.
Nothing on my end...sent you a few PMs over the past few months... no answer either time....I was interested in some pics of the long awaited coaches.

Long bath.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 12:57 AM   #75
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Let's see...

I'm also a tad bit techno challenged. I'll see if I can get the photo thing to work. Some photos of the inside (my new counter and table and spray painted cabinets) with my lovely wife modeling. I also went to the femine side and learned how to sew our new cushion covers (with piping!).

Also the trailer with Paul Bunion and Blue Ox (even anotomically correct as my children pointed out! )
Marc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1800.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	11141   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1802.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	11142  

Name:	DSCN1667.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	11143  
Old 03-23-2005, 05:54 AM   #76
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
3M, great looking trailer. Couldn't see the cabinets very well. I do think you have the same sofas that I do. Material looks pretty close. Of course I'm the first to admit I had mine done by a professional. I see you have another Argosy without a rubrail. I don't think I'll ever find one that looks just like the "Big Twinkie" here in my yard. Judy
Old 03-23-2005, 06:11 AM   #77
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy
I'm also a tad bit techno challenged. I'll see if I can get the photo thing to work. Some photos of the inside (my new counter and table and spray painted cabinets) with my lovely wife modeling. I also went to the femine side and learned how to sew our new cushion covers (with piping!).

Also the trailer with Paul Bunion and Blue Ox (even anotomically correct as my children pointed out! )
Marc
Nice job, have to show Susan the inside. What a completely different set up from our '76 Argosy 24. She is looking for material and ideas for redoing the gaucho. and Twin mattresses.
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 06:49 AM   #78
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Very nice job on the Argosy. Thanks for sharing your pics.

I see you put in a new range. We're mulling that over now. The old one is in good working order, but lots of pitted spots and rust. The cost of having finishes redone over new doesn't seem to make much sense. We'll probably use the old one until we decide to do something with the cabinet and countertop, then it all goes at once. How did you decide between black or white range? Sure wish I could find a new stainless.
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 08:15 AM   #79
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by juel
Well I got the decorating gene; however, I didn't get that electronic gene. I've only gotten one picture to post on this site and I don't know how I did that. Tomorrow, or when I get the time to run to a bigger town, I'm going to get some bigger tools. My husband is a Construction Superintendent, but I can find NOTHING in his work room. I know there's 7 table saws and five tool boxes out there, but he's not organized. (neither am I) I'm still waiting for him to come home from Wisc. so I can look truely pitiful and he'll go out and fix things for me. Of course he'll only be home about a week, then I'm on my own again. I'm making a list............
www.sears.com
They deliver....
Old 03-23-2005, 09:04 AM   #80
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
The decisions...

I pretty much leave the color choices up to my wife. On the range, note that there are two height options, 22" and 14". I choose the 22", not really stopping to measure. The new one, as you can see, stuck up by about 2" too high with my skinnier countertop. I think it would have worked with the old one...but we were leaving in three days for our trip, and I didn't have time to exchange it at camping world for another one. So...I improvised and just made a cover for it. It works fine.

Here's a closeup pic of the fabric I used for the upright cushions... the horizontal cushions I used a brown chanile (sp? or shanile?) that was murder to sew with. An eggplant piping pulls them all together. I found excellent choices at our local "Calico Corners" but a bit pricey too! New foam at our "Friendly Foam Store." I used 6" firm foam. Very comfy.
Marc
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN1195.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	11150  
Old 03-23-2005, 09:05 AM   #81
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
On the range...we're considering getting ours powder coated (a kind of heat sealed painting process, as I understand). I understand from other discussions here that it's considerably cheaper than getting a new one. Plus, there's a much wider selection of choices in finishes, including unexpected ones like chrome. Right now, though, fixing this is far down on the low-priority action list, so I haven't priced it out. I also don't know how the heck I'd disassemble the stove and oven to get the new finish baked on (and I'd like to get the fridge done, too). That's a question for another day!

Mary
Old 03-23-2005, 10:02 AM   #82
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Powder Coating

I've got a customer who does powder coating. I've never paid too much attention to the details of the process but as I understand it, putting an electric charge on the item being coated is the key. The powder coat itself is also charged and it hits the surface of the item so hard that it melts the powder into an almost enamel finish and creates a molecule to molecule bond between the coating and the surface of the coated item.... It's very chip resistant, but most powder coats can't stand up to heat as well as enamel can.

If you look at virtually any power tool made within the past 20 years, the metal parts are powder coated. I dropped a Craftsman circular saw two stories and chipped the powder coat on the tool - but that's the only failure I've seen.

Paula - it's tin lizzie day..... She's on Route 13 in Delaware right now....
Old 06-07-2005, 07:18 PM   #83
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I thought I'd revive this old thread that I started when I started to restore the Argosy. I've been out replacing a plumbing vent and found none of the screw holes match. Had to get my husband to screw it down as I wasn't strong enough to push the self tapping screws in to penetrate the roof. Then I tried to remove my first rivet. Well, now I have a hole in the rubrail and the rivet did not come out the way he showed me. He's not here, he's over building a new covered porch for a friend. I hope I haven't created a big problem. I've been doing a good job on the vinyl wall covering and staining and painting. Maybe I should stick to "woman's work". I'll try to include some pictures ( I did learn how to use the digital camera too) Can I use a really big rivet to cover the hole in the rubrail when I replace my vinyl stripe?
Old 06-07-2005, 09:17 PM   #84
Still wears a thong

I'm with you sister. Maybe we should have an all girl rally, without haulin the trailer. Maybe at a Holiday Inn somewhere