Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-26-2014, 06:59 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Memorial Day

Tonight I just finished watching the National Memorial Day concert on PBS and once again it brought me to tears. Let us not forget forget the hardships and sacrifices that our men and women in uniform take on serving our country. This also includes our parents, sisters and brothers, wives and children because they are our strength, support and always in our hearts when deployed. They are special. On the outside they show so much strength but on the inside they worry about our safety and if we will return home alive and well. If you watch the Memorial you know that is not always the case.

So not just on Memorial Day but every day take a moment to pray for our men and women in uniform, our veterans and their families for they are truly the ones who have kept this Country strong and made it the greatest place to live and allows us to use our AS .
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:02 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
AMEN!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Airstream Forums mobile app

Fulltime in 2013 and LOVING it !!
truxpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:29 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
How very sad, that all too many people think FREEDOM is free.

Serving in the Military, is not a job, but a HONOR.

Bless those that gave their lives and parts of their bodies, so that others can walk the streets and smile.

Visiting the Missouri and Arizona Memorial, tells a very tall story, of what FREEDOM really costs.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:04 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
Memorial day

As we express our gratitude, we must never
forget that the highest appreciation is not to
utter words, but to live by them.

John Fitzgerald Kennedy
345bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 01:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Saint Augustine , Florida
My father was an officer in WWII, but he never talked about the war. The things he witnessed were too horrific for words, I believe, and he wished better for his daughters.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:03 PM   #6
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
On the other hand,
It sometimes seems that we are getting our holidays confused.
We honor our veterans on Veterans Day - November 11th.
But we honor those who made the ultimate sacrifice on Memorial day.
There are many Vets on this forum and in the everyday world around us.
But none of them were killed in the line of duty.
Please don't equate the two as they are far from being the same.
Jerry
USN 71-75
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:41 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Jerry

Jerry that certainly was the initial reason for establishing Memorial Da which was first known as Decoration Day Memorial Day is uniquely dedicated to honor and remember those who served and died in service of their country, those who gave the "last full measure of devotion." However, like most holidays in our Country it has evolved into much more and IMO for the better. Today we honor all those who served, not just those who made the supreme sacrifice. Why because more of our Soldiers are suruviving their wounds due to technological improvements in transportation and medical areas. The use of the helicopters by the Services in that the Korean conflict saved numerous lives by quickly medevacing wounded soldiers to field hospitals and offshore Navy medical ships. This only improved over the years. The same is true for medical care with the introduction of new techniques and equipment especially those designed to stop the bleeding so now closed to 90 percent of the wounded come home.

My point is that without these break through we would be honoring many more who made the surpreme sacrifice. So I am happy to see the evolution of Memorial Day, however, I would be even happier to see the end of all conflict.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
I am with Jerry on this one. In fact I was a bit annoyed while watching the Concert myself with all of the attention given to the brass. I also regret seeing this holiday become a three day weekend and the absurd commercialization of it. It is a time for solemn reflection on the true cost of war. Decoration day started after the most bloody war of our nation, the Civil War, yet we still have yokels here in the South parading the Stars and Bars as if it is something to be proud of. Any member of the military or any one of their family members can tell you how terrible war is. Yes it is the ultimate sacrifice, and the price paid for our freedom... and nothing to be entered into lightly.

Ironically, we have seen the one true holiday honoring the military being shoved aside and ignored by many, namely Armed Forces Day, formerly the third Saturday in May. IT is the one day that we can really show the troops our appreciation and share in the pride that it is to be a member of the military. I wish we all could have a true celebration around that sentiment, and show our appreciation to all military, former, active, and retired. and THEIR FAMILIES. That is my bias having grown up on military bases and participated in such events.

I agree Veterans day is more appropriate for parades and displays of uniforms. But lets keep Memorial day as a time of reflection, prayer and honor for the fallen.
Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:00 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1960 26' Overlander
Wervicq-Sud , FRANCE
Hello everybordy,

I would like to thank you, all men, all these Americans people which helped France 70 years ago...

In France, all the television channels speak about you, our American friends who we helped and freed!

Tomorrow is a big day in our country in France, I cannot go in Normandy but the heart is there and I shall love participating in this event.

We think of this great moment, this evening on the television : many reports and movies about theis event...

Many thanks, many french people love american people...
Gaël is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 06:14 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Thank you
Old 06-09-2014, 02:53 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaël View Post
Hello everybordy,

I would like to thank you, all men, all these Americans people which helped France 70 years ago...

In France, all the television channels speak about you, our American friends who we helped and freed!

Tomorrow is a big day in our country in France, I cannot go in Normandy but the heart is there and I shall love participating in this event.

We think of this great moment, this evening on the television : many reports and movies about theis event...

Many thanks, many french people love american people...
Hello Gaël, I have been thinking about your post, your thanks, since I read it. I am not part of the 'Greatest Generation', my father was, but he was not at Normandy.

I watched the color programs on TV about the invasion and how much everyone had suffered during that period of world history. There were many ultimate sacrifices for freedom that day and the days to follow. The History Channel did a splendid job with the programming.

I pray that we never, ever have to suffer an era like that again. I am glad that the allies were successful and the people of France were again free. France helped the United States in the beginning, providing assistance to our fledgling country. Perhaps Normandy was a favor returned. May our countries be allies forever.

Thanks so much for your kind words on such an important day.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:53 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1960 26' Overlander
Wervicq-Sud , FRANCE
Hello Rich,

Thank you too for your answer so friendly,

Me too, I'm only 34 year old and I didn't know people who lived this war... only at school when I was very young, a french man who slept on the floor, I remember of that... so sad, he had never seen his french family after the war, he didn't know what did it happen...

As you say : I pray that we never, ever have to suffer an era like that again

I'm not an american boy in France, I live as a French (except my Airstream of course...!) but I love the USA in my heart...

For all American people : we're welcome in France ! Not in Paris ! You go to be stolen and you do not go to discover real France ! Only for "Sacré Coeur", "Le Louvre", "Tour Eiffel", etc... be careful to your money, excessive prices but you haven't choice...
Gaël is offline   Reply With Quote