Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-16-2005, 07:51 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

vancouver , Washington
Unhappy maybe kevlar would help

I am posting this picture of the condition in which we received our WBCCI membership book in the hope that anyone who mails items might consider investing in KEVLAR protection for their deliverables. Even though our Airstream Life come a few days earlier well protected by its plastic casing, the membership book looks like it was dragged all the way from Ohio to Virginia. Maybe there is a need to have the contents show so that the item can be deemed valuable enough to ride inside the mail trucks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wbcci-envelopeA.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	10092  
Allison Duramax 4X4
Hensley Arrow hitch
Kodiak / Actibrake Disc Brakes
Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller
Doran Pressure Pro
WBCCI #2984 Air # 4173
aluminauts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 07:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
Personally, I like the envelopes that are made from Tyvek or similar material. Not easy to get into without a pair of scissors but they really protect the contents. The USPS priority mail pouches are made from Tyvek. I use them whenever I can.

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 08:30 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Heavy, sharp-cornered objects like the membership directory do tend to poke out through paper envelopes when subjected to automated mailing equipment.

TYVEK is a great stuff for durability and waterproofness, but unfortunately it costs several times more than paper. It's prohibitively expensive for mass mailings like the directory.

The envelopes provided free by the Post Office for Priority Mail are very durable, too, but the directory is sent Bulk Rate (to get the lowest possible price) and so those envelopes can't be used.

Polybagging is relatively cheap and a good option. WBCCI could also look into recycled cardboard envelopes (more expensive but "greener").

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 09:07 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
Omitted

Quote:
Originally Posted by aluminauts
I am posting this picture of the condition in which we received our WBCCI membership book in the hope......
Well, at least you are IN the book!

We've been omitted, and we are members in good standing of both the WBCCI AND the VAC. We must be, or why woudl we have received the membership book? (my envelope was in good shape, BTW)

I wrote them a letter telling them they omitted us, but big deal.. they'll probably send out a sheet of paper with "missing" people on it to insert in our books.

When the book arrived, I felt like Steve Martin in "The Jerk" when he found his name in the phone book, thinking he was famous.

I was looking forward to finally being listed as an official "old fart."

(WBCCI members do NOT need to yell at me for saying that. Have a bit of humor, OK?)

But I guess I'm still not one.
flamingo-kid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 09:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
We were left ut as well. The closing date for the books was Nov 1 or something and there was a mix up on my end about the dues. I need to check with the VAC about the same as I'm getting the newsletter but don't know if I'm paid up or not.
It's always cool to get the directory.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 09:37 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
VAC Membership Dues Information

Greetings Over59!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
We were left ut as well. The closing date for the books was Nov 1 or something and there was a mix up on my end about the dues. I need to check with the VAC about the same as I'm getting the newsletter but don't know if I'm paid up or not.
You can verify when your VAC membership expires by checking the mailing label on your Vintage Advantage. On the second line (below mail routing information), you will find: Dues Paid to: 20XX .

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 09:43 AM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by rluhr

TYVEK is a great stuff for durability and waterproofness, but unfortunately it costs several times more than paper. It's prohibitively expensive for mass mailings like the directory.
Maybe WBCCI could cut back on some of the tens of thousands it's spending on sending "officers" cross country on the membership's dime and they could then put that money to better mailings matierials.

After all, most folks here talk about WBCCI officers being volunteers and donating lots of their time.....

Don't know what the heck I'm talking about? Look here:
http://www.airstream.com/airstreamer...pic.php?t=1078
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 10:07 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Aarrgghhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
HEY!@! At least YOU are getting the NEWSLETTER!!!

That's another thing that we don't often get, and I've written to them about it before. One time I got a back issue that had been sent to someone else and returned, or I woudln't have gotten THAT one.

Our membership has NOT lapsed, and was paid for LONG before November.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:11 AM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
You know, when I was a member, our info also came as if it had been through the second world war. The documents inside were pretty badly beat too. Though that was not the reason I threw my numbers away at the end of the 1st and only year, it was one very small part of the overall decision process to walk.

Glad to hear you're all paid up though Kid....
Old 01-16-2005, 10:38 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
RE: 2004 Vintage Advantage Issues

Greetings flamingo-kid1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingo-kid1
HEY!@! At least YOU are getting the NEWSLETTER!!!

That's another thing that we don't often get, and I've written to them about it before. One time I got a back issue that had been sent to someone else and returned, or I woudln't have gotten THAT one.

Our membership has NOT lapsed, and was paid for LONG before November.
The current issue of the Vintage Advantage that has been out for about three or four weeks is only the second for the 2004 membership year. I know that there was discussion during the membership meeting at the WBCCI International Rally in Lansing that there would likely be no more than three issues of the publication for 2004 due to the availability of the volunteer who does most of the pre-press preparation of the publication. The current issue bears the information - - Issue #2, 04, Volume 11 - - 2004.

I haven't received my WBCCI directory yet - - probably didn't get my new address as some club information goes to my new address while some is still going to my old address.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 11:02 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
They could post the info on the web site and let you download saving mailing costs. I really would love to see it sent out in a cd format or in a file that you could download. That would save a lot of mailing costs and allow updates.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 11:04 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
grammar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Glad to hear you're all paid up though Kid....

PPPPFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTT

Hope I spelled that correctly
Old 01-16-2005, 11:10 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Networking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel
They could post the info on the web site and let you download saving mailing costs. I really would love to see it sent out in a cd format or in a file that you could download. That would save a lot of mailing costs and allow updates.
GREAT idea, I wonder why they don't offer that option?

Do you suppose they don't have a large enough computer literate sector of clients? (yet?)

Maybe they will do more in the future.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:16 AM   #14
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:

Do you suppose they don't have a large enough computer literate sector of clients? (yet?)

I have noticed that vintage owners tend to be a little younger than the general WBCCI membership. Probably something to do with all the physical labor needed to restore and operate an older unit.
Being younger, we seem to be more computer-literate also, hopefully this will mean an increase of online available items for Airstreamers on the go.
Terry
Old 01-16-2005, 11:29 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
I love it when someone says I'm younger...

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 11:40 AM   #16
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
PPPPFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTT

Hope I spelled that correctly
I think you got it right.

You know, my observation of the VAC has been nothing but positive. The folks at WBCCI could learn a LOT from these folks. The only minus (in some cases) is that you have to be a WBCCI member to be part of VAC as I understand. Imagine how many folks would be a part of VAC in a heartbeat if they didn't have to lug the WBCCI membership too......but perhaps I just don't fully understand the relationship..which is entirely possible.

As for the web communications bit, I've read in a number of places, both here, on Airstream's site and the WBCCI site, in addition to hearing stories from regional folks who brought this up to the "upper crust" folks. For the most part, it would appear that they heard what folks said and in typical format, blew it off. Now that said, there are a number of great regional groups that use the web very, very well and I was pretty impressed that WBCCI in general has a forum, let alone a website. Looks like they just need a push with a big stick if it's gonna be used in a manner in which most of the folks out there are using or will use soon. The big stick being possible extinction if the younger folks don't pick up the baton.
Old 01-16-2005, 01:33 PM   #17
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:

I think you would find computer literacy among WBCCI members to be quite high. We do have one unit President (out of 14) without email, but that person is in rural west Texas, served by a small telephone company. The balance of our Presidents and membership chairpersons have email addresses. So far as I know, our unit of 55 memberships is 100% computer literate.

Our region has had computer rallies for many years with an average attendance of 40 couples. This year's rally is coming up the end of next month. Take a look at the broad curriculum at the above link. I personally teach 2 levels of Microsoft Word, Web browsing, and Photoshop Elements.

While I would like to have an electronic copy of the directory on my disk for quick searchability, I, and most folks I know, carry the printed copy in the glove box on trips and we often refer to it to identify Airstreams we see. An electronic copy doesn't really serve the same function.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 04:56 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Identifying other Airstreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
While I would like to have an electronic copy of the directory on my disk for quick searchability, I, and most folks I know, carry the printed copy in the glove box on trips and we often refer to it to identify Airstreams we see. An electronic copy doesn't really serve the same function.
How will you identify US if we're not in the book?

Seriously, how come I'm not in the book???

How come it's always MY restaurant oredr that gets buggered up??

How come it's MY son who's still in college after ELEVEN Years??

I don't SEE a common denominator here, do YOU???

Old 01-16-2005, 05:05 PM   #19
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I will say that with technology being what it is, the database could be moved to a Palm in which case having the hard copy would not be necc.

What if the Palm crashed? Well, hopefull you'd have sync'd it to your PC or laptop. I bring my laptop to most places, mostly cause I dump my digital photos to it to free the memory sticks, so having it with a Palm and the member database would be pretty simple. Additionally, I keep my OBD2 scanning software on my Palm that can give me trouble codes and monitor engine and trans functions with far more data then just what's on the dash..... matter of fact, last summer had an issue with the car sputtering. Well, cause the trailer was on it, the tank wasn't like stock due to slight slant of the rear end. I was going through fuel starvation basically. The check engine light started flashing (that's the bad check engine light). My Palm told me what codes the Powertrain Control Module was throwing, so I figured out it wasn't as bad as the dash had indicated. After that, I never let it get to 1/4 tank when towing. So, the for me is a great tool to have and adding a database to it would kill two birds with one stone. If I were a member.