Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 07:19 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
I'm going back to the statement no trailer "camping ready"? Safe tires and brakes and a tow light bar, a door that latches, a vehicle strong enough to pull it; now go get out there and find some rocks and streams and trees and snakes and things. Used to be the word "camping" meant "camping", not having some glamorous coordinated fashion statement you don't dare step in if your gucci boots had "soil" on them. You can't use anything untill it's completely restored back to better than new? That's not for my kind of camping.

NevadaGeo
Old 01-15-2012, 07:25 PM   #22
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Traitor! Just kiddin', dude. If you make it to Georgia, give us a buzz. Love to meet you guys.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 01-15-2012, 09:23 PM   #23
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaGeo View Post
I'm going back to the statement no trailer "camping ready"? Safe tires and brakes and a tow light bar, a door that latches, a vehicle strong enough to pull it; now go get out there and find some rocks and streams and trees and snakes and things. Used to be the word "camping" meant "camping", not having some glamorous coordinated fashion statement you don't dare step in if your gucci boots had "soil" on them. You can't use anything untill it's completely restored back to better than new? That's not for my kind of camping.
That works for me but however not the same for Mom. It's a stretch to even get her to consider staying in a trailer. She is used to a 2 bed, 2 bath condo for a vacation.
BTW none of my trailers will be a glamourous coordinated fashion statements when done. Right now none of them are safe to travel as most have severe seperation issues and the one that is closest to being finished is an empty shell right now. I do take offense to your statement. You don't know me so why do you assume that I'm a pretentious person that wears Gucci boots. Jeans, a tee shirt and running shoes are my normal attire.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:24 PM   #24
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
Traitor! Just kiddin', dude. If you make it to Georgia, give us a buzz. Love to meet you guys.

Jim
Thanks Jim once I have a travel plan in place I will be in touch and we can meet.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:36 PM   #25
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Well Chris, Congrats on the purchase. If the road brings you to Texas, come my way and we'll have a great time. Try to get here before March, because the temps start to climb above the 80s then. Not sure if you'll be able to survive past St Paddies day.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Old 01-15-2012, 10:04 PM   #26
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Well Chris you could always get a big roll of heavy-duty tinfoil and pretend.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:19 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Chris

Your decision makes a lot of sense to me. Just load up your mom and the trailer and head south where it is warm and enjoy yourself for a while. PM me if you will be heading close to Lynchburg, VA. I live close to a Walmart and we have extra bedrooms here for you and your mom.

Dan
Old 01-15-2012, 10:32 PM   #28

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I have to recommend against a bag over your head... it could shift around and create a safety hazard by blocking your vision. Try a ski mask.

Anyone who'd suggest you should stay home in the snow rather than camp in some interim solution while you resurrect your multiple vintage toys is just a killjoy. Find warm sunny places to flaunt your SOB that cost you less than a pair of Airstream axles!

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 01-16-2012, 05:55 PM   #29
x

XXXX , XXXX
I took the SOB to get weighed today. The local DMV must have a certified weight to register it. It is a little hefty at 6750 lbs.
BTW if anyone is in the Chicago area and looking for a good RV service center I can recommend Abel RV in Bartlett Illinois. They are a bit north and west of Chicago. While they are not an Airstream repair shop they do perform great work and really do care about their customers.

RV Dealer in Chicago Area, Illinois : New & Used Motorhomes and Trailers For Sale. Thank You to our customers. We appreciate you!
Old 01-16-2012, 07:16 PM   #30
Certifiable

. , .
Exclamation omar side effects?

You might as well just change your avatar while yer at it ....
Old 01-21-2012, 05:49 AM   #31
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
It's all good. I'll be taking my 82 yr old mother with me. She lost her husband 1.5 yrs ago after a lengthy illness and she hasn't been able to get away since 2006. They were both regular snowbirds until then.
THIS is what life is all about. We took care of my wife's parents. Her dad lived to be 99 and passed away in our house in his bed, just like he wanted. We named our trailer for him. Do what you need to do and the Aluminum will wait for you. We may need to temporarily suspend your AIR privileges though, maybe a mod can help with this...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bud 99.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	149290  

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
Old 01-21-2012, 06:06 AM   #32
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Not sure how we missed this thread but oh my goodness.. what a great way to start the day... laughing!

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
https://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
Old 01-21-2012, 06:25 AM   #33
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by casa3805 View Post
THIS is what life is all about. We took care of my wife's parents. Her dad lived to be 99 and passed away in our house in his bed, just like he wanted. We named our trailer for him. Do what you need to do and the Aluminum will wait for you. We may need to temporarily suspend your AIR privileges though, maybe a mod can help with this...
Chuck that is a very nice tribute to your father in law.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:30 AM   #34
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelstand View Post
Not sure how we missed this thread but oh my goodness.. what a great way to start the day... laughing!
Nickki I'm glad I could make your day.
As I look out the window this morning at the ever growing pile of snow while it's 11F I'm also content with my decision.
A week tomorrow I take off for sunny Fla for 8 wks. I found a very nice campground that I had friends check out for me. The montly rate is quite reasonable, just about what it cost to keep this house giong during the cold winter.
I am fortunate that my employee will be house sitting so everything here will be watched over and taken care of during my sebatical in the sun.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:00 AM   #35
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
Nickki I'm glad I could make your day.
As I look out the window this morning at the ever growing pile of snow while it's 11F I'm also content with my decision.
A week tomorrow I take off for sunny Fla for 8 wks. I found a very nice campground that I had friends check out for me. The montly rate is quite reasonable, just about what it cost to keep this house giong during the cold winter.
I am fortunate that my employee will be house sitting so everything here will be watched over and taken care of during my sebatical in the sun.
I'm not an A/S God, but I forgive you! We've been in South Texas for the past month (I think it was 80 yesterday, and 60 last night) and it's been wonderful....having been our first "snowbird" year I have to day that I could get use to it! The downside, of course, is that unless your employee is working on that Excella it'll never get done!

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
Old 01-21-2012, 08:47 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Hey, WC! No problems! Just get a couple of rolls of that stick on aluminum wallpaper stuff! Actually, you should have done what we did: have a Navy son with a brand new Jayco who gets transferred to Hawaii and has to leave his trailer behind with his loving parents to use while he's there. We get to use it free of charge (even in our name for now for insurance purposes), so we can camp until Little Girl is done. Only issue is making sure our trailer is done by the time they get back in the lower 48 in 2 more years. Sweet deal! (We've put in a few upgrades for them while we were at it....) Enjoy your trailer. Camping is camping, doesn't REALLY matter what you're in.

Kay
Old 02-01-2012, 06:50 AM   #37
x

XXXX , XXXX
Almost at my new winter home

Good morning Hive, I'm posting this morning from St. Mary's Ga which is spitting distance from the Fl border. So far the trip has been good with no problems with the TV or SOB. We had a little bit of bad weather travelling south on I-79 from Erie Pa to Pittsburgh on Sunday night. We ran into a wall of snow
and spent a harrowing couple of hours at 20 mph in a complete whiteout. I was convinced that we wouldn't make our first destination that night and then as suddenly as it started it cleared up. We arrived at the motel only a little late.
the next day went great as the farther we travelled the warmer it got. Monday night was spent in Statesville NC and it was our first night in the SOB. The only difficulty was paying for all the fuel the hills of PA, WV & VA consumed. 9mpg is alittle bit hard to swallow.
Tuesday was even better as the hills dissapeared and the weather got warmer again.
Today we will be on the road for only a couple of hours and we will be at our destination. I will be making a stop at Camping Word in Jacksonville for a few items and to have them wash off all the salt and dirt from the SOB.

Yesterday was also especially nice as I spotted 3 A/S on the road and there is a little Bambi staying at the same park as us. I haven't met them yet as they seem to be always sleeping
It is so nice to be camping and to be the guest instead of the host. Quite a relaxing change of pace.

More updates to follow once we arrive.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:27 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Are you wearing a fake nose, mustache and glasses while you travel in that SOB?
Old 02-01-2012, 02:06 PM   #39
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
now Rich that was a good one
Old 02-01-2012, 02:54 PM   #40
Certifiable

. , .
Cool Great question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich of SCal View Post
Are you wearing a fake nose, mustache and glasses while you travel in that SOB?
This may or may not be the chris of wasaga!