Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-01-2007, 07:34 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Master of my Domain

OK, it's off topic, but I had to do it. This will forever be my 500th post. I will officially make the transition from 4-rivet member to RIVET MASTER with this post. Yeah!

My wife says I spend way too much time on here but I find lots of really cool topics and have learned a bunch! (like not to complain when she goes shoe shopping

My hats off to everyone here. Someday I will actually get my trailer back on the road, then hope to see you all out there.

Best wishes!
Old 05-01-2007, 07:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Nice Job Jim

Jim,

Congrats on being a master!! How's that frame commin'?

Dave

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 07:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Hey Dave!

I've got it all drawn up in AutoCAD. Was gonna get my buddy to build it for me in his shop, but that fell through when we realized that Airstreams use a different main rail spacing than "industry standard". It wouldn't work in his production jigs, so so much for that.

I then wound up taking a welding course at the local trade school. Finished that up around Christmas. Scraped together some money and bought myself a new Lincoln Precision TIG 225. It'll do stick welding also. So I plan to stick weld the frame up hopefully this summer. I need to practice more before I feel ready to do the frame. So I'm still in practice mode.

I'm playing around with the suspension. I was going to go back to leaf springs with vertical mounted shock absorbers, because my buddy's shop was setup to make their own axles. But since that fell through, I'm now considering a couple different options. I still think leafs are well proven and offer some benefits over the rubber torsion axles. But, I'm also considering just putting the rubber torsion axles on it because they're easier to install. I'm also considering going totally nuts and doing swing arms with coil springs. That's probably insane. But what the hay, if I can design it, I can fab it So I'm still working on that.

How 'bout you? Whatcha been up to?

Oh yeah, guess I should apologize for blatantly ripping off Jerry Seinfeld with the subject title, but I thought it was too funny!

Take care,
Old 05-01-2007, 08:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Congratualtions to the Rivet Master! (of his domain)

You've spent a lot of time here to reach this milestone, or so you've been told. Savor the moment.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Jim

Congratulations on your 500th post. I know if my wife knew how many posts I'd done just on this forum, not counting the chevelle, vintage trailer, bike, guitar and other sites I'd visit she'd be shaking her head.

I too am the master of my domain, as long as my wife says I can be . I can make any decisions I want, she just gets final approval. I can do anything I want, any time, any place, no matter the cost - as long as I check it out with her first .

Just kidding of course, without her my life would be pretty dismal and I for one would be Airstream-less, vintage car-less, furry cat-less, and very lonely.

So, now you only have 498 posts to go to hit the grand mark.

I have appreciated the many valuable posts where you've shared your thoughts and knowledge.

Good luck with the frame. It's a big step building your own - I believe you are intending to do this from scratch?

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 08:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Jim,

It sounds like you have it all under control. I have found some issues with my can. I think I told you before that it has the elephant ears on it, well I also found out recently by talking to the guys at JC that is also has the stiffener plates on it. But I still have a bit of an up hill run to get out of the bathroom. That being said, I think I got some frame issues that are just rear of the axles. Kind of a bummer, I think I will end up boxing the frame. The axle mounting plates are straight as an arrow and everything is in working order. I have talked to a couple airstream dealers (as well as JC) and everybody says "pull it..your not going to break it!"

Other than that I have been fixing a couple small leaks and just hangin' out in it when I can. Decided I will take it to the cinco de mayo shakdown this weekend up north of Flint and forget about workin' on it for a few days.

I hope your family is well, and I can't wait to see your post w/pictures of that frame when you get it done.

Dave

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote