Old 10-27-2010, 11:43 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Wouldn't you know as I am writing about solid state reliability, another is writing about a failure of one.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:49 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Mine was not an SSD. It was a standard 80 gig spinning disk. Also, it was 34 months old with close to a million miles traveled under its belt. While I would have liked to replace it with an SSD, it was cost prohibitive from the authorized Apple repair store near me. I am saving my dollars for the second version of the iPad which should be out in the Spring of 2011.

2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:36 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Frank,

Do you have Apple Care. Use it to help leverage a new MBP. Last year the display went out on my MBP. I'm not sure why it failed, I may have just closed it and put it in it's sleeve (made by Incase) and it overheated. I had brought it to the Apple Store for repair. This was the only time that any the "Genius's" were rude. After I brought my MBP home, I discovered that my Airport would not work. I called the store just before closing and agreed to see me the next day (Saturday). When I dropped it off for repair, the manager was nice, but wasn't sure if they could fix it that day. I was upset, but explained that when I picked it up the night before it should have be fixed, completly. I also explained my earlier experiences with a rude 'genius' and how disappoited I was. I even explained that if I wanted this kind of poor repair and customer service I would have bought a PC and not a Mac. About 30 minutes after I had left, she called and said they were not sure what had failed, and would I be willing to accept a new in box replacement.

Needless to say my faith in Apple was restored, not because I received a brand new MBP, but because she did what was needed to satisfy a customer. I think if you show Apple your repair record (they have access to it also in the store), and voice your displeasure over reliability they will try to make it right.

Next to dropping my MBP or getting fluid spilled on it, I am worried about HD failure. Replacing these are easy on the newer models, so is upgrading to SSD. iFixit.com is a great site to see how and what is needed to accomplish this.

The price of both HD's and SSD's is dropping. I read a post that in addition to the Mac Book Air, Apple will begin offering the SSD as a standard drive in the supposed near future. It's all about the $$ and perceived value.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:16 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
I use and have used just about every MacBook Pro made and have never had a drive crash, Use the 7200 RPM for video production work. Carried the units on the road, in and out of gigs, hotels and to S. America with no drive problem
Old 10-29-2010, 09:29 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Rich I too have had no problems with my HD. My daughter has a MBP and she bounces it and travels alot with it with no HD issues. We both us an Incase neo case religiously. I have also found that routine back ups provide a level of security in case of HD failure. When I was in school I also relied upon thumb or jump drives to save papers and research material. I continue to use these as 'archieve' backups for documents, photos etc I want to keep but may not change frequently.

Regardless of the manufacturer, the HD is a mechanical device that is the weak link of any computer, expecially laptops/portables...
Old 10-29-2010, 03:05 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I think the problem with ours may have been using it while driving on a bumpy surface.

Maggie
Old 01-02-2011, 08:07 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Open Road , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
I think the problem with ours may have been using it while driving on a bumpy surface.

Maggie
Newer laptops have motion sensors on their drives that will immediately dock the heads so they don't damage when dropped or other things like that. You might kill the case, but the drives can withstand a lot!

I found some options just by Googling, and this site in particular had a link to a free (sweet!) 2GB online backup for free. Mac Backup How-To Instructions, Online Backup Solutions, Backup Drive Information

I have been using it for some time and it works great for the essential items. Things that take up a lot of space get backed up to 2 separate external drives.

I also use dropbox which is pretty handy for sharing files between people you work with, but can also be used for mindless online backups.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:49 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
As said hard drives are mechanical devices and backup is essential. I am a hard user (video editing) and I pushed my MBPs hard and on the road. I try to take care of them but as said above haven't had a drive fail. iDisk from Apple is a good backup option. I always make copies of files on backup drives as s__t happens. When it does and someday it will I hope to have been prudent to have files in multiple places.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:07 AM   #37
Aluminegg

2008 19' Safari SE
Vancouver 2010 , BC - The Best Place On Earth
6 months in and my Mac HD crashed.

I had 6 months with my Macbook when my hard drive decided to meet Jesus. It died and could not be resurrected. Apple replaced it for free, but could not recover a single thing. The good news is that I didn't have lots of stuff on there, and much of it was back up on the PC (pictures mostly). The bad news is that I lost all of my funky fish-eye photos from the Tin Can Tourist meet here in BC. There were some pretty amazing trailers from the 40's and 50's that have been impeccably restored, I had the photos to prove it. Sad to not be able to send them to the owners of said trailers, bad of me to have backed them up immediately. Lesson learned. I still love my Mac, and now my Ipad as well.

Not sure is this was the culprit, but do not use a laptop case with a magnetic flap. This case was purchased at the Apple store, but the HD died shortly there after. Hmmmm? Co-inky-dink? I think not!
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:52 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses View Post
I had 6 months with my Macbook when my hard drive decided to meet Jesus. It died and could not be resurrected. Apple replaced it for free, but could not recover a single thing. The good news is that I didn't have lots of stuff on there, and much of it was back up on the PC (pictures mostly). The bad news is that I lost all of my funky fish-eye photos from the Tin Can Tourist meet here in BC. There were some pretty amazing trailers from the 40's and 50's that have been impeccably restored, I had the photos to prove it. Sad to not be able to send them to the owners of said trailers, bad of me to have backed them up immediately. Lesson learned. I still love my Mac, and now my Ipad as well.

Not sure is this was the culprit, but do not use a laptop case with a magnetic flap. This case was purchased at the Apple store, but the HD died shortly there after. Hmmmm? Co-inky-dink? I think not!
Yikes!

We upgraded to a droid phone several weeks ago---our first non-flip phone, as we are techno-resistant, for the most part.

We are amazed at what this little device can do, and it will be our go-to when driving, leaving the laptop securely packed in its' case. We can use the phone, check email, weather, locate a campground, etc.

My son's Apple PC when he was 12 filled his desk, my dad's computer that ran his copy shop filled a room!

Life is good.

Maggie
Old 01-05-2011, 12:24 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Maggie, wait 'til you get the chip implanted in your head and you are the computer.

Gene
Old 01-05-2011, 12:45 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Open Road , USA
Maggie, be sure to check this out for free tethering your droid via USB cable to your laptop and enjoy high speed internet via your cell so no more air card charges. Mine is usually (sadly) much much better than any RV park's free "high speed" internet service. Been using it for a few years with good luck.

For those less sophisticated Windows users, they offer a version for you too.

For those more sophisticated hackers, there's free options including wifi tether if you root your droid which work pretty well also.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:32 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Maggie, wait 'til you get the chip implanted in your head and you are the computer.

Gene
Oh, thanks---that's a good idea! How space-efficient would that be!

Maggie
Old 01-05-2011, 03:35 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by webtrippin View Post
Maggie, be sure to check this out for free tethering your droid via USB cable to your laptop and enjoy high speed internet via your cell so no more air card charges. Mine is usually (sadly) much much better than any RV park's free "high speed" internet service. Been using it for a few years with good luck.

For those less sophisticated Windows users, they offer a version for you too.

For those more sophisticated hackers, there's free options including wifi tether if you root your droid which work pretty well also.

Hmmmm. It says it's a free version but they block secure web sites----are those like our banks, visa, etc.?

We have a Verizon phone and the air card for the pooter. We could have just the phone and do everything on the pooter we want as long as we had a signal? Everything we are doing now?

Maggie