Old 08-22-2010, 11:00 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
Like earlier mentioned, I would highly suggest using the Time Machine feature. It works great and saved my butt last spring when my HD gave up the ghost. . I also load all of my photos up on to Picasa (Googles Photo service) so that no matter what happens I will have copies of some sort (of course there are other fine photo services besides Picasa). I am also thinking that besides using Time Machine, I may also back the drive up on to the "cloud" that is getting cheaper all of the time.

AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries
TAC MD-6
AIR 4534

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:26 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFM View Post
I'm still stuck on the first paragraph. I can't figure out where Kalispell, WY is. I do know where Kalispell, MT. is, and where Wyoming is, but lost in trying to find Kalispell, WY.
You're right, it was MT. Sorry---it's all so beautiful out here I got confused.

Thanks for all the suggestions and info, folks.

Travel safe,

Maggie

Old 09-05-2010, 09:54 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
I agree with others. Time Machine is great. You can buy a relatively inexpensive external HD. This would at least offer you backups incase your MBP HD crashes. Google Mac Life for sources.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:09 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
Apple's Mobile Me service gives you remote storage at an affordable price in the cloud. It's available to access anywhere just takes a little work to drag files to it but it appears as another drive on your drsktop.We also use Time Machine in the office.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:27 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Update

We recently sent our original hard drive off to DriveSavers, Inc., in Novato, CA, who were recommended by our Mac folks here at home. Their initial, 48 hour assessment is that data should be able to be recovered, and if they can't recover 90% or more there is no charge. Needless to say, the recovery is going to be painfully expensive.

DriveSavers says MacBooks are not meant to be used any time, any place, but on a flat and stable surface---for exactly the reasons some of you have said. They also said one is lucky to get a year and a half with the newer hard drives, and to always back up with that vulnerability in mind. I'm very disappointed in Apple, for installing less reliable hard drives in such an expensive and trusted item. Their representations regarding usage locations could also be improved.

It seems that truly mobile travel and usage calls for the expensive, alternative hard drive----or the IPad, which we may consider if they get a camera installed in the 2011 version.

A lesson learned. Back up, back up, back up.

Maggie
Old 10-27-2010, 07:37 AM   #20
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
my MacBook is on it's third hard drive. I bought the high dollar black one right when it first came out. Oh, yeah, fourth battery also. I love my Mac, but this model is a lemon in my opinion. I will soon be retiring it.
Time Machine is a must. Loosing the birth of your children photos is devastating...
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:36 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB International CCD
Leesburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHoot View Post
Lost the HD on my iMac when it was about 2 years old and fully covered under Apple Care Protection plan. 100% recovery of files due to Time Capsule backup.
Yes, I had the same experience with my MacBook Pro when it was only about 15 months old - the motherboard died, but luckily I had bought the 3-year AppleCare plan, and my Time Machine backs up everything hourly on an external hard drive, so it was a cinch to restore all my data after Apple fixed my laptop. My hubby and I would never buy anything other than an Apple product. Very happy and very impressed!
WBCCI #2515
TAC #VA-9
golfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:02 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Would the MacBook Air with its flash storage be more reliable for the traveler?

Doug
Old 10-27-2010, 10:07 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
Dkottum: I think the air would be more reliable. As time goes on, we will all move away from mechanical storage (at least in our laptops and have solid state storage). In the realm of Macs (you either love 'em or hate 'em), I think the newly updated Airs are a good value. After living with my ipad since they day they came out (hey don't flame me, I stopped at Columbia Mall on the way back from Assateague for Easter presents, wasn't planning on buying one right away but.....), you can really learn to love have solid state memory, true instant on, no worries about moving it around etc.

Time machine is the bomb. If you have a Mac, please use it, super easy over a wireless system. Hard drives are dirt cheap these days. In addition to my hard drive I upload all of my photos on to Google Picasa (there are photo site that would work well to). That way at least I have a copy of all of the photos I take. I purchased extra storage for a few dollars a year from Google. If you want belts and suspenders, a couple of times a year (in addition to the daily time machine) have another hard drive that you can back up you computer on and then store it off site (parents house, safe deposit box etc.).

Frank brings up my other worry, getting copies made of my old film/slides etc. and storing them online too. This is the type material stuff that you really hate to lose if you have a disaster. My 15 yo daughter watched the video of her being born the other day, can't put a price on that, I need to get the tape digitized and backed up!
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries
TAC MD-6
AIR 4534

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:15 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
My 4 year old Powerbook has had few problems—needed new battery last spring and the most popular keys are worn so I can't see the letters, shift key broke and I glued it. Otherwise fine. Are Macs being cheapened like Airstreams and Toyotas?

Gene
Old 10-27-2010, 11:04 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Boerne, TX / , Evergreen, CO
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia Send a message via Skype™ to Westfalia
Apple has had a bad batch of drives from Seagate over the years, but drives can and do just fail for seemingly no reason. Yes, use while traveling can be a little harder on the unit, but it probably not the cause of the failure unless it was really abused. Consider replacing the HD with a SSD (Solid State Drive), which has no moving parts. They are more expensive, but as you are discovering, so is DriveSavers. Invest in a small portable external USB drive for TimeMachine backups and you will have everything covered. An SSD drive will save you from having to invest in a new laptop.

My recommendations:

Replace the internal drive with an SSD
120GB Mercury Extreme Pro SSD 2.5" Serial-ATA... (SSDMX120) at OWC

External USB Case, use your existing internal HD as the backup drive
OWC Mercury On-The-Go Portable 2.5" FW400/US... (MSTG400U2) at OWC
Old 10-27-2010, 11:04 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
My 4 year old Powerbook has had few problems—needed new battery last spring and the most popular keys are worn so I can't see the letters, shift key broke and I glued it. Otherwise fine. Are Macs being cheapened like Airstreams and Toyotas?

Gene
That's what it's sounding like to me. The original hard drive had only a 12 month warranty, the replacement a 36 month warranty. I hate it.

We are having to have recovered not only irreplaceable family photographs but irreplaceable genealogical and other documents. Booooo.

Maggie
Old 10-27-2010, 11:37 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Just back from a hard drive failure myself on the MacBook Air. I am glad I used the Time Machine as a backup. I just should have used it more often. (failure was last week, last backup was 27AUG10....Ooooops)
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:39 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Recalling my days with aircraft instrument repair, the problem with anything spinning at high speed, such as a hard drive, is that it acts like a gyroscope, strongly resisting any change of direction. That resistance is placed on its bearings, causing heat, wear, and eventual premature failure.

Hard drives would most probably last much longer if moved about much less when they are operating, or winding down. The solid state storage is a great solution for mobility.