Old 03-26-2009, 05:32 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
springfield , Massachusetts
looking for info on towing an elderly mobile home from a MH park

perhaps AS afficiandos might know how i can get info on this.

i am thinking of buying a mobile home at some point. i do know they depreciate as opposed to appreciate in value.

i may well want to get into senior housing when i'm over 70 and not have the responsibility of both the upkeep of a home and its lot.

i was almost thinking of buying an old mobile that an aquaintance has on the market. it's 40 years old and has mostly old aluminum wiring, which i've been told is very dangerous. i'd even called an electrician and he'd told me that while it'd cost 3-4 thousand ballpark, he wouldn't even consider working on an old mobile. i bet that perhaps this may well hold true for most electricians. after getting this info, i sure didn't want to buy that old horse!

soooooooo, i was thinking that should i, indeed, buy a mobile that would be old by the time i was ready to vacate it, i might not get much of anything for it, and would have to reconcile myself to taking a loss. but better that than have to continue to pay the lot rental on something i couldn't sell. my query about towing the old home out of the park is important due to this possibility.

i wouldn't mind taking a loss, for example, if the home didn't cost me much in the 1st place. and better that i could have it removed from the lot and not have to be stuck with an albatross with the attendant lot rental. i could see that becoming a major problem.

where DO old mobile homes go to die?

Old 03-26-2009, 06:16 PM   #2
Site Team

, Minnesota
Oklahoma. Missouri.
Tornado alley.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:22 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
lol, be one way to get rid of it, eh? a tornado...

but, in all seriousness, i hope that some one will have info on how one goes about finding a service which tows the old mobiles off the lot...
Old 03-27-2009, 07:05 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I've had two single wide MH's moved. Called the local MH dealer asking him for names of movers he recommended. There are a lot on MH's on acre lots here in SW Colorado and the prices are very reasonable. If you can buy one in place and rent it until you're ready to move in, there are a lot of advantages as you can depreciate the unit in 10 years for tax purposes.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:35 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Where Do Old Mobile Homes Go?

I don't know whether this is unique to Southern Illinois or if the practice is becoming more prevalent, but we have a number of Mobile Home Recyclers. Typically these recyclers pay little if any for the old home, but remove it from the lot at no cost -- then it is disassembeled with usable parts being sold, and the balance either being recycled or disposed of in an acceptable manner. Some of the recyclers in my area will refurbish those mobile homes that are in better condition and re-sell them.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Absolutely STAY AWAY FROM ALUMINUM WIRING !
It was a cost cutting move by mobile home builders that has prove FATAL for many. The industry stopped using it for just that reason FIRE
Like someone suggested, if you think this is something you want to do then rent one or find one on a 1/2 acre lot already set up. Those things when they get old tend to fall apart when moved.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 07:28 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
thankyou! i am glad to know that user Denis4x4 had experience with having 2 mobiles moved. thankyou for whom to contact. i will look for local MH dealers and see what it costs to move an old MH.
also, Kevin, thankyou for telling me about the recycling program. i am very 'green' and hate to think of old mobiles just being thrown in a landfill. much better to recycle usable parts. or to refurbish. i wouldn't mind refurbishing an old one, but if an elcterican wouldn't even rewire an old one, i guess that's a moot point.

as well, Mikethefixit, thankyou for asserting that avoidance of aluminum wiring at all costs is imperative. anyone know when this practice stopped? if i look at mobiles built in the 80's, for example, would these have wiring that would be safe?
Old 03-28-2009, 08:41 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Snog
If you google up MOBILE HOME WIRING CODES ,you will find all the info on Aluminum wiring. Its quite interesting reading. I think I read there that the use of Aluminum wire began in 1972 and is still used in some applications today.Because of the potential fire hazard most manufacturers have gone back to cooper.Its safer and reduces the mfgrs. liability.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 09:30 AM   #9
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
snog, mobile homes have gone through several periods. the older ones are mostly disassembled in place, whatever can be sold for salvage is sold and recycled. many later mobile homes (in the past ten years or so) are sided rather than skinned with aluminum. many also have a shingled roof rather than the traditional sheet metal, and typically have better windows... some even have dual-pane windows installed. they're also a little better assembled and wired than earlier models... although the wiring still isn't necessarily what you'd find in a stick-built. Having them wood sided, dry walled interiors and with a shingled, peaked roof means that they'll not be as susceptible to leaks, and should there be a fire, they won't "flash-over" in seconds as the old metal mobiles did. They have a much longer life-span and can actually be repaired using standard building materials and methods.

they still don't have any resale, and you'll lose your shirt on buying a new one, but at least they're not as much of a death trap as the older ones.

Roger
Old 03-28-2009, 07:07 PM   #10
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
It is not worth moving an old mobile home. Reason, it cost $2500 to $3000 plus new skirt, hookups etc and it just is not worth it. Maybe for one 5 years old or less. But you can often buy a 10 year old or older unit, already set up in a park, for $2500 or $3000. So the moving is a waste of money.

Good mobile homes can often be bought very reasonable if you watch your chances. Buy one already set up in a park. Do not think of moving one.

Check out this mobile home forum for some real stories of good investments people have made.

Mobile Homes, Manufactured Housing, Mobile Home Parks
Old 03-29-2009, 04:12 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
mike- thankyou for the added info; i will google the subject and see what info is out there.
'85- thankyou, too, for your info. indeed, the newer homes are drywalled and much more attractive. i hope by the 90's that that horrid faux paneling was done away with. it's ugly beyond belief. some people have even drywalled an older mobile. also, even the older mobiles i'd looked at last year, built late 70's/early 80's had lap siding and peaked roofs.
Ganaraska- i think you misunderstand me. the only reason i'd want to tow an old mobile would be if it's life was near an end and i couldn't sell it. i'd hate to move out of it, only to be stuck paying continued lot rental for a place i'm not even living in. and i don't want to be a landlord. anyway, doubt anyone would want to live in a mobile that would be well over 50 years by the time i'd vacate it. but, thankyou for the ballpark figure of 3,000 to remove an old one. that may well be what my friend will have to do, though i wonder if she even has the money to move it. she was hoping she could sell it, and get some needed cash in savings.
thankyou for the link, btw!
Old 03-29-2009, 08:32 AM   #12
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
If she wants to get rid of an old mobile home she should advertise it but do not expect to get much money. Possibly $500 if it has to be moved.

Her best move would be to sell it on the site. In that case it might bring $2000 or more depending on condition.

The site I gave you has a lot of info on selling mobile homes at a profit. To get the best price requires selling for a small down payment and holding a note. Some people make a very good thing out of selling mobile homes, holding notes at 12 3/4%.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:34 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Ganaraska

thankyou for your info. if my friend does have a hard time selling her elderly mobile, i will pass on your suggestions. i posted on another bbs, and the folks there told me that she couldn't realistically get more than 5,000 tops.
i looked at the site you'd given me and had seen a lot of topics there in addition to the selling of the mobiles. indeed, the mortgage interest on those is, alas, much higher than regular homes. that is one of the many reasons i would prefer to pay CASH for a mobile. i have an excellent credit score and history and would resent having to pay nearly 3 times the interest rate on a regular home. but , for the person who's holding the note, it's a tidy little profit indeed.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:51 PM   #14

. , Texas
My mobile home was built in 1980. Despite this, it is quite large...and 3 bedroom 2 bathroom and the ceiling ranges from 7 feet to 9 feet. It has copper wiring not aluminum. by the time that I pay for it, it will be 45 years old. I am not wondering if people want to move it, if it is worth moving, ....I want to know if it is possible to move it. It is in very good condition...I am putting in new plywood and new vinyl tiles (3 layers actually) and in the future I might get a new roof and siding on it so it appears to be a "new" home. It will be probably 50 miles driving distance from the middle of nowhere, to the middle of nowhere lol. (My land will be 50 miles driving distance from the park) It will be in a large county (square miles) with not that many towns in it...the perfect place to look for land. I'll stay in RVs during the transition. So it is a 30 year old mobile home, and it will probably be 45 years old mobile home when I move it...and the driving distance will be 50 miles. I don't care how much it costs to move something that old that far...I immagine that it will cost a lot... I only am wondering if this is possible... Because like the original poster has said, I also do not want to pay a lot of interest rate for a regular home.

And to answer the original poster's question... Although I don't know when the first mobile home was made, Older mobile homes usually don't *go* places to die, they fall apart in heavy wind, heavy rain, and mostly in fires. I am still surprised that my home is bigger than I thought it would be, since the first mobile homes were very small...with 6 feet ceilings and aren't any wider than a camper. As for these homes, it is impossible to repair them and there wouldn't be any functioning materials to salvage. They are normally smished. The newer the mobile home is, it is much more likely for them to be repaired. Although I am still confused as why *every* mobile home can't be renovated with regular building materials lol.