Old 12-20-2009, 10:55 AM   #15
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
In 1986 when traveling in the South, I passed a field full of old mobile homes. They were packed in rows and some were stacked on top of others.

This was on a paved secondary road in a farm area. I assume a local mobile home dealer owned the land and used it as a dumping ground for trade ins too old or too far gone to sell.

I suppose there was a certain salvage value in the aluminum siding, copper wiring etc. but a mobile is mostly made of wood fibreglass insulation carpet and other materials that cannot be recycled.

No junkyard will take old trailers or motorhomes because there is too little metal and too much rubbish. So I don't know what happens when they die. I suppose someone tears them apart and disposes of them at a loss. Or else they just sit around.

This may explain the number of old trailers found abandoned in the woods.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:01 AM   #16
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
My father was an electrician when aluminum wiring came into use in the early 60s. He told me it was perfectly safe if it was installed and maintained properly.

It is necessary to use a special corrosion resistant grease on all joints especially where aluminum connects to copper. And it is necessary to inspect and tighten the connections periodically because aluminum is more prone to fatigue than copper.

If the wiring is kept in good shape it is as good as copper. The problems came when it was improperly installed, or in later years (10 years old or older) where the wire fatigued and broke, or corrosion caused excess resistance which led to overheating and fires.

This is why aluminum wiring was abandoned. Since it has not been used in 40 years you can assume any home or mobile home with aluminum wiring is well past its "sell by" date.