Old 09-01-2004, 11:29 AM   #1

looking for airstream to rent

i'm looking to rent an airstream in the new york area. any suggestions?

Old 09-01-2004, 11:46 AM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
That might be kind of tough. They can barely keep them on the showroom floors, let alone rent 'em. If you find anything make sure to post as I have seen this question a few times....maybe do a search and see if anything comes up that might help.

Old 09-01-2004, 12:25 PM   #3
Magazine publisher
Commercial Member

Ferrisburg , Vermont
We get this inquiry often, so I've researched it a bit.

The short answer is: you probably can't rent an Airstream. I've never found a dealer willing to do it, for a number of good reasons. I've never found a private party willing to do it, either.

RV dealers who do offer rentals usually focus on pop-ups or Class C models, both of which are easier. Pop-ups often don't require heavy hitches or even brake controllers, and Class C's don't require tow vehicles. Airstream doesn't make either of those types.

But perhaps someone with some entrepreneurial flair could develop a business of Airstream rentals? There's certainly some demand ... If I were doing it, I'd buy a fleet of early-to-mid-90's models, refurb them, pair them with appropriate tow vehicles, and rent them as a set.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
One word...

L I A B I L I T Y !
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 10:01 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
L I A B I L I T Y !
Couldn't be much worse liability than say, renting out Lamborghinis and Ferraris though, right Shari? And with those, you know the guys renting 'em are going to floor it from every stop sign.

With an Airstream rental situation, even if they aren't terribly experienced towing trailers and dealing with giant canisters of propane, at least in most cases we'll be talking about families, who would take all the precautions they could. If it were me, I'd move out west, near all the best national parks, and have some really strict guidelines. A 45 minute class on the ins and outs of towing and using the appliances, followed by their signature relieving me of responsibility if they have an accident. I'd charge, say, $900 a week for a 24-footer and late-model Suburban?

That'd give people the Airstream experience, without having to purchase one and stow it most of the year. Let's face it, it's hard for most city folk to justify ownership when they only get 2 weeks vacation a year.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
What a novel idea - renting out your airstream....hmmm.

While working on our waterfront lot this summer (and what a terrible summer for weather we have had - I might mention!!!!) I tossed the idea of renting out our GT - for say a little honeymoon suite - "I Love Lucy Style".

Then I have the issue of can or can we not have a trailer on the lot???? Still no official answer but I think we might have a neighbour complain.

Plan B - Float the GT!!! At a cost of about 5K CND we can rig her up with extra large holding tanks built right into the pontoon frame - have a forward cockpit and rear outboard. Now the renter could have the best of both worlds - but over my dead body would they be able to leave the dock! It is just a FREE way of mooring. Just like a house boat but would look like a submarine on pontoons! What a neat thing that would be.

Cheers

If I had some extra cash Peter and I would be just the crazies to try it out.

Anyone heard of anyone putting their trailer on a barge/pontoon floats?

Missed you guys - just too busy this summer slaving over the gardens and landscaping down at the water. We will soon however have to start thinking of finishing off the work needed in our Airstream if we are going to get her to the States for a winter holiday!

Hope all of you are well - and at least got some summer traveling in.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:36 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Can't see this ever coming about, but then again who would have ever thought that selling water in bottles would be a big deal..................

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 01:41 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
bay city , Michigan
this is something i might try to pull off

my only concern in demographics i am in michigan what does everyone think would the great lakes state have enough draw? or would i have to have an option of delivering your TV and trailer to your location as part of the rental if the rentee desired?
Old 09-02-2004, 01:43 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
Horrors !!

Just the THOUGHT of renting out Luna gives me the shudders!

People NEVER take care of rental items as if they were their own...

You'd have to keep it VERY impersonal and have units strictly for rent (HEAVEN FORBID) that you didn't LOVE!
Old 09-02-2004, 04:43 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingo-kid1
Just the THOUGHT of renting out Luna gives me the shudders!

People NEVER take care of rental items as if they were their own...

You'd have to keep it VERY impersonal and have units strictly for rent (HEAVEN FORBID) that you didn't LOVE!
Without a doubt! Though...
that leads to another interesting concept:

Airstream timeshares! Or AirShares!

Just think of it... Can't afford that new Airstream motorhome with 9 slide-outs and a BBQ on the roof? Buy it with other families, and split the cost of insurance and storage by letting each family use it for 4 weekends per year. The weekends are chosen by drawing straws every January 1st, so there's no fighting over Memorial Day weekend!
Old 09-02-2004, 06:58 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
We're 3 miles from Manhattan and we'll rent you ours!!

Serious......$10,000.00 a week ok?? Let's talk.

By the way it sleeps SIX. It's a 2004, 25' CCD. Advance deposit mandatory. PM us for more details and pics.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:15 PM   #12
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Brad,
I really like the "AirShares" idea. What about something like the "FlexJet" programs for corporate aircraft? You buy into a managed partnership of several different units all in a specific area. Then you "rent" the most appropriate size based on your trip and availability. This solves the problem of only one unit for four or five families.

I've gone so far as pitched this idea to dealers but they basically look at me and say "but why would I do that when we could just sell them?". Good point but certainly missing an opportunity to meet a "less than ownership" interest and cultivate future buyers at the same time.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 05:58 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by bredlo
...Let's face it, it's hard for most city folk to justify ownership when they only get 2 weeks vacation a year.
Where there's a will there's a way!

I only have 2 weeks vacation a year and I've been on 15 camping trips so far this year and I have 5 more trips planned before I winterize! I typically do take at least a one week vacation each year and use my remaining vacation time on Friday's to make long weekends. Then there are other Monday holiday weekends which are perfect for long weekends of camping.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 09:34 AM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster
Brad,
I really like the "AirShares" idea.
Thanks, swebster. The only thing that just occured to me is that I obviously got the name wrong. It would have to be called Sharestreams.

Yukionna: absolutely right! I guess if you're able to make the most of those weekends, even if you live in the big city there are places you can escape to.

Still, for me, a rehab job on an vintage AS was my only option as a non-diehard vacationer -- and the reaction swebster got from those dealers (why mess with renting when they can sell?) I think is completely short-sighted.

Opening up the Airstream experience to everyone, not just those with $30K or $40K to plunk down, should be a priority for any company that wants to continue to grow their customer base. Which is exactly why Airstream would've been a good candidate for this 8 or 10 years ago when the customers were literally dying off of old age (and not being replaced!) But maybe they'd be silly to consider the time-share concept now, with all the renewed interest.