Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2013, 08:30 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Look Ma, No RIBS?

Late one night after inbibing a single Hard Cider, I was cruising this forum...

And I saw a picture of an Airstream Sport that was being repaired - reskinning two or three panels. And I thought - damn that's odd - it looked like the inside and outside skins were separated by small pieces of ribs about 6 inches long rather than full length ribs.

Haven't been able to find that picture again.

Am I losing it or did I really see that? If they're doing the same thing with the bigger units... ARGH! You know I've wondered why not use neoprene or something other than aluminum for ribs, so they won't transfer heat and cold so easily. But no ribs? That's cheapening a product way too far. Please tell me I imagined it.

Paula
Old 03-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
I am not sure what you saw. I had a couple of the interior panels off of our 16' International and there were ribs all over the place. Can't imagine a Sport is any different....
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Hi Paula, DH and I met you at Highland Haven rally last Fall, we enjoyed ourselves so much.

We found that in our '56 Bubble, which we are doing a resto on, at least one of the ribs (on a front corner) wasn't really attached to anything other than the interior and exterior skin, and if I recall correctly, it was less than 3' long. We thought all of this was wierd, and about the length, we thought it would have been up to the curve, if not higher, and especially attached to the next piece of rib.

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote