Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-04-2008, 10:44 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Lodi A.S. loses awning

I was just watching the on going news coverage of the "massive storm" now pounding Calif. The reporter says an Airstream located in Lodi had it's awning ripped off in the wind that we are all experiencing now. He went on to report that the residents are seeking a hotel to stay in. Is this one of us Forum members? I have to believe that we members are smart enough to reel in awnings in such storms. But I have to say I did have that happen to me with 2 SOB's we've had. The wind is very strong here up past Placerville. Our storage shed lost it's roofing. The portable garage housing our convertible is bouncing back and forth held in place by the ropes to a fence on one side and my truck on the other that I put in place yesterday. I tethered the 'garage' that the Trade Wind is under on the RV pad but the weather is too nasty now to venture up the driveway to check.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:54 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Neil

It sounds like you folks are really getting pounded with this storm. We got it Nov 11 and it took down 3 huge maple trees out back. They fell right where I usually "camp" with my Flying Cloud in the summer months. I'm darned glad I put it away in it's Air-port for the winter.

Those darn portable garages do not do well in high wind, particularly if they don't have a front and back door on them. Only one end done just doesn't cut it. I had mine weighted down with cement blocks and also tied to large trees as anchors and the darned pole on one end still managed to get a hard rub on the side of the trailer. This year I installed a commercial unit that's attached to the side of my shop to eliminate that concern.

Good luck with the weather and hope nothing gets wounded. Stay safe and warm,

Barry
Old 01-04-2008, 10:58 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
The reporter says an Airstream located in Lodi had it's awning ripped off in the wind that we are all experiencing now.
Hopefully not Doorgunner. (I doubt it)
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Neil, we're pulling for you! Do they have a prediction for how much snow you might get?

Tim sits at 999 posts. I hope his next one is boring & without news to report.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
We are situated at 3000' and do get snow occassionally and usually just a few inches. In fact the snowman our grandson built with his dad last Saturday just disappeared. Today this wild weather which continues at this writting is warm so snow levels are above 5000'. I anchor my portable garages as well as I can but today they are really being buffeted. I did drive up the driveway to the trailer and though the 'garage' sides are flapping everything is ok for now. When we have snow more than a few inches, such as last Feb. (see avatar) I need to get out every few hours and knock the snow fron the garage's roof. The Trade Wind in the avatar is where my convertible is today. That is across from our house and was there because I was doing some repair on it last Feb.

We have seen doorgunner's setup and it is 'sweet'. But his location is very prone to high winds in the winter. He is savy enough to not have an awning extended unless he is entertaining at a Rally!
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 01-04-2008, 05:22 PM   #6
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Well it started about 5 am today:-( I was awake most of the nite, listening to the rain and wind ever increasing in strength.At 5 am I made myself my morning Latte, the 110 was flickering on and off, thankfully my stove is propane, I can drink in the dark, the Marine Corps even "learned " me how to sleep standing up.The wind was increasing steadily about 30 mph at this time.I turned on the tube to try and get some weather info, but the intermittent power was not cooperative. I switched to 12 V radio. At 7 am things were starting to get interesting, BIG wind, I wished I had not moved the small AS (73) so close to the excella.I settled into a nice breakfast of 2 eggs over easy with a slab of left over prime rib, and a brandy eggnog.Then it looked as if all was going to be ok, winds steady at 30 mph, no leaks, but the trailer was noticably rocking with the wind gusts.I was listening to the radio and heard about the 4 semi trucks that were blown over on hwy 5 around Woodland, geez I thought.At 9am the wind had increased to a steady 40 mph gusting to 50 something, That's when it happened. A HUGE gust tipped the small 29' Ambassador on it's side, right into the Excella.Windows popping out and torrential rain blowin sideways at 50 mph soaked me and everything inside!The propane line to the water heater was severed and immediately ignited. Both trailers burned to the ground, I'm typing this from the moho, my only remaining airstream product.
That's what I wrote trying to get tickets to the montana banana contest. The real info to follow in another post, DG

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 05:32 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Doorgunner - Ya got me.

Man, I was taking deep breaths and thinking oh man, that poor poor man.

So, did you get the tickets?

Barry
Old 01-04-2008, 05:42 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
Doorgunner,

What a totally crappy day for you. Losing 2 favorite "kids" would be tough for anybody to take. I was in Stockton this morning and the drive there was awful even in my 3/4 ton Ford. At least the storm is abating and you have the MoHo left.

John
altamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 05:56 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner
Well it started about 5 am today:-( I was awake most of the nite, listening to the rain and wind ever increasing in strength.At 5 am I made myself my morning Latte, the 110 was flickering on and off, thankfully my stove is propane, I can drink in the dark, the Marine Corps even "learned " me how to sleep standing up.The wind was increasing steadily about 30 mph at this time.I turned on the tube to try and get some weather info, but the intermittent power was not cooperative. I switched to 12 V radio. At 7 am things were starting to get interesting, BIG wind, I wished I had not moved the small AS (73) so close to the excella.I settled into a nice breakfast of 2 eggs over easy with a slab of left over prime rib, and a brandy eggnog.Then it looked as if all was going to be ok, winds steady at 30 mph, no leaks, but the trailer was noticably rocking with the wind gusts.I was listening to the radio and heard about the 4 semi trucks that were blown over on hwy 5 around Woodland, geez I thought.At 9am the wind had increased to a steady 40 mph gusting to 50 something, That's when it happened. A HUGE gust tipped the small 29' Ambassador on it's side, right into the Excella.Windows popping out and torrential rain blowin sideways at 50 mph soaked me and everything inside!The propane line to the water heater was severed and immediately ignited. Both trailers burned to the ground, I'm typing this from the moho, my only remaining airstream product.
That's what I wrote trying to get tickets to the montana banana contest. The real info to follow in another post, DG
YA, SEE.....I knew doorgunner would have sumtin' big to write for his 1000th post!
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 01-04-2008, 06:06 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
OK Tim, ya had me hook line and sinker there for a minute. I hadn't quite finished reading it when I said to my DW, "I wonder if this is all a joke, I don't know his sense of humor" - then I read the last line.
Good one Tim, ya got me.
OK, now for post 1001.......
Old 01-04-2008, 06:25 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
St Petersburg , Florida
Nice tale.

Stay safe.
DreamWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:27 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
Ya got me BIG TIME.
altamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:35 PM   #13
Steven and Susan

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Carmel , California
Yep, I was on the same line, getting reeled in with the rest of 'em. Glad it was fiction.

BTW Tim, the bubble wrap was a great idea.
ajanib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:43 PM   #14
Steven and Susan

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Carmel , California
But since this started out to be about losing an awning, I'll tell you about pulling onto the DC Beltway on Monday and seeing the aft end of my street-side awning deploy on our 31 foot International. I pulled over as soon as I could and secured it as well as possible (The spring that rolls it up seems busted.)

I was annoyed about that, and paranoid that it might happen again, so I was towing even more slowly than usual once I got back onto the Beltway. I'm grateful, because a Yugo (probably the last one still on the road) made a spectacular 3 lane dive from the extreme left side into the exit ramp on the right, passing directly in front of me in the process. I did a full-blown maximum effort slam on the brakes. If I'd been carrying any more speed I would have smashed him like a bug.

Thank goodness for that stupid awning.
ajanib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:55 PM   #15
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Oh MAN you had me too. I was really hoping this wasn't true. Would have been one lousy day, for sure. At least I hope you did have that breakfast, the only part of the story that sounded good.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:58 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajanib
But since this started out to be about losing an awning, I'll tell you about pulling onto the DC Beltway on Monday and seeing the aft end of my street-side awning deploy on our 31 foot International. I pulled over as soon as I could and secured it as well as possible (The spring that rolls it up seems busted.)

I was annoyed about that, and paranoid that it might happen again, so I was towing even more slowly than usual once I got back onto the Beltway. I'm grateful, because a Yugo (probably the last one still on the road) made a spectacular 3 lane dive from the extreme left side into the exit ramp on the right, passing directly in front of me in the process. I did a full-blown maximum effort slam on the brakes. If I'd been carrying any more speed I would have smashed him like a bug.

Thank goodness for that stupid awning.
Steven

Bummer on the awning. Thank goodness you caught it when you did.

As for the Yugo do you realize you missed the opportunity to remove what could possibly be the last one on the road from the highways? It would hardly of even made a blip going under your rig, and heck, you might have "cured" the driver of his careless driving habits at the same time. Now, he's still out there in that POC and some one else is going to have to take care of him.

Barry
Old 01-04-2008, 08:04 PM   #17
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
The Rest of the story!

O.k. now for the true story.
All the times and wind speeds were true!, The breakfast was for real, actually I drank brandy eggnog all day!
I did have some minor wind damage, around 10 am a wind gust ripped my small window by the door right off the trailer!! No lie, those that saw my trailer at LSA rally know what window of which I speak. I have a Dickinson fireplace with it's flue tempted thru the window hole. Any way the window was partially opened for the flue pipe.I made up an inner window of lexan and aluminum that was also in place and remained intact after the outer window was ripped off. I actually saw the window depart! the 6 rivets that attach the lip to the window frame were all pulled thru the frame. I can not believe the window did not shatter when it hit the concrete pad. So it's all good here at the vinyard, wet and windy. Thanks for thinking of me Neil, I can't believe you actually thought I would leave the awning up in gale force winds.What kind of nit wit do you take me for anyway!Remind me to slap you up the side of the gourd next time I see you. Have fun diggin out.
And I hope everyone else enjoued the leg pull, Now where do I sent this contest form? DG

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:10 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Not a bad post #1001.

I'm glad #1000 was made up.

I'm glad your window didn't break.

Nobody who knows you really thought that you would leave an awning up with a cyclone coming.

Well, almost nobody....
Old 01-04-2008, 08:40 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner
Thanks for thinking of me Neil, I can't believe you actually thought I would leave the awning up in gale force winds.What kind of nit wit do you take me for anyway!Remind me to slap you up the side of the gourd next time I see you. DG
Now, Tim if you 'read' the earlier posts you will see that there were a few here who assumed that you would leave an awning out in a gale. I in fact said that you were a "savy" guy and would not do sumtin' like that. No snow at our house yet but that may change tomorrow night but we are in good hands because our son, Todd, is here on leave. We have to get him to the airport Sunday morning so he will come in handy to chain up the car if need be. Boy do I hate chaining up.
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 01-04-2008, 08:51 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
Hopefully not Doorgunner. (I doubt it)
OK, let me clear some of this up - Neil, you're off the hook.
Tim, notice I said I doubt it.

I did have an awning one time, that was in the rolled up position prior to the wind getting a hold of it. The guy where I had it stored called me when he saw about 6 feet of material flapping. It happens.
Dave

OK Tim, slap me up side the gourd now...