Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-17-2018, 09:10 PM   #1
Jim D

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Living in Arizona

I'm just now putting my 2008 Airstream on the road and need help. Living in a hot weather climate should I be using standard rv/marine batteries of those that seem like a lot of money (gel/etc). Any advice since the 25" Safari SE is stored in my back yard.
jimdaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:19 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I am a big fan of Lifeline AGM batteries. Installed one in my last Airstream and it was working great when I sold the trailer 10 years later. Most of those years were in Phoenix.

To get the most out of the battery, I installed a PD 9245 converter when I installed the battery.

My latest trailer has Lifeline AGMs and a PD 9245 as well.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:19 AM   #3
Jim D

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
I am a big fan of Lifeline AGM batteries. Installed one in my last Airstream and it was working great when I sold the trailer 10 years later. Most of those years were in Phoenix.

To get the most out of the battery, I installed a PD 9245 converter when I installed the battery.

My latest trailer has Lifeline AGMs and a PD 9245 as well.
Thanks much I'll check some pricing now that it appears it may be worth it. How do you store them?
jimdaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:31 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I would compare life of marine bat. with agm and prices what ones to buy.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:38 AM   #5
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Posting a question is one way to get information. The other way is to educate yourself with the information that exists on the forum. Your question is about batteries. Enter batteries or battery in the blue box at the upper right corner of the page. That will get you a list of threads to review. Keep entering different search terms as you read through the posts. It takes a bit of work to understand the subject that you are investigating. Take note of the experts as they can help cut through the noise.

In the interim, a wet cell battery, like Walmart sells will function. What is required is to maintain it well and use it correctly. It can not be allowed to drop below 50% charge or it's life will be significantly reduced.

Your investigation should also include battery monitor, converters, golf cart batteries, and parasitic loads.

Note, if you kill an AGM with improper use, the added performance of the higher priced spread is lost. Also, there are a wide variety of places you can purchase batteries. They don't all have the same profit margin, so that issue is part of the investigation as well.

Good luck with your review and investigation. Pat

Here is a start: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f382...ml#post2102695
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:00 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I don't see hot climate as being much of a factor in battery choice.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:41 PM   #7
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
I don't see hot climate as being much of a factor in battery choice.
Maybe, hot weather can evaporate more electrolite if over charge is an issue - key up the converter threads. Certainly will result in more fan use. May mean less overnight heating and the associated blower electrical load from the furnace. However hot in the day at altitude gets you cold at night and some furnace use. Might mean more use of the coach at a full hookup site or more generator use or more storage until the cool weather shows up or opportunity to justify solar. As is often said, it depends. ASs are not four season trailers and hot is one of those seasons in which it is not designed to excell. Function yes, with AC, but not excell. But mostly it just depends on use, which is owner controlled or ignored to preference. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote