Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2004, 05:35 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Linux and Stop-Sign questions

The guru from Night Vision left and now supposedly this computer is virus free Night Vision is a local company that does business/home computer problems.

The tech left me with a disk for Linux???? said we might like it as a system. Do any of you have this? what you think about it?

Sold me Stop-Sign ....seems to be working.... I hope.... Any of you have experience with this product?

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 07:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Thumbs up Try it if you have some time and a spare PC

Hi Kistler, I use linux extensively. Depending on the distribution (different vendors bundle additional programs with the core OS), you can end up with nearly the same functionality as Windows without the worms and viruses. Especially with the latest versions. The latest versions are also much simpler to install. Do you know the vendor and version number? Anyway, while I'm a Linux promoter I wouldn't recommend you try it on your main home PC (unless you're willing to use disk partitioning software to split your hard drive and configure a dual boot machine). I would recommend taking a class or getting a how-to book (available on-line), and then trying it on a machine you don't mind blowing away if you make a mistake. Of course you could backup or image your current hard drive and try it then. I think Linux is worth the effort (it's also mostly free).
Enjoy,
Ken
Old 10-26-2004, 07:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Thank you for replying, Ken. I understood about 1/4 of what you wrote but will re-read a few times.

This computer is basically used exclusively for the internet....we order things from on-line suppliers, like Toolsource, Toscano, Amazon, once-in-a-while ebay, and we check our meager $ with banker-on-line.

The guru said he would help me with the dialer for AOL (tells you how sharp, I am--I have AOL) and about how I could choose something comparable to "Word", "Works", and hopefully my multi-function HP printer will work.

I can't believe that I/we were assaulted with viruses/viri ? 18 of them and that is after Best Buy did a "D and C" on the thing.

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Old 10-26-2004, 08:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kistler
I can't believe that I/we were assaulted with viruses/viri ? 18 of them and that is after Best Buy did a "D and C" on the thing.
Sometimes they need to do a full 'diskectomy' if a 'D & C' isn't enough!!

I have some computer skills, but I'm tired of all the 'over-head' that using Windows on the net has become. I'm seriously thinking of going to an Apple platform for my on-line work. Too much money in Windows S/W to give up compleatly!
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 08:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Kistler, If your local guru will help you with the install and configuration I'd go for it. He's correct about the applications. There are programs on Linux that are very similar to Word, Excel and PowerPoint (and can actually exchange and read/write files from the MS programs). Also, in my opinion for web browsing and e-mail, the programs that come with Linux are superior to the Windows flavor. I use the Mozilla browser and Evolution e-mail program (both available for Windows too). I always feel more secure doing on-line banking with my Linux machine.
Ken
Old 10-26-2004, 08:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Kistler,

Ken has offered some great advice. I can only add that eventhough I have worked as a Windows support tech I use Linux at home and greatly prefer it. I think it is well worth the learning curve you will encounter

Atb,
Royce
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 08:22 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
OK, then the decision is made! Thank you fellows.

Kistler
Old 10-26-2004, 08:34 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Linn , Oregon
hmmm...

I agree about the benefits of Linux, but I tend to think that if a person doesn't understand basic file maintenance and software loading they will eventually bump into compatibility issues or the need for tweaking, and have to continue to engage outside support. I love Linux but it didn't run several programs I have to use, and wasn't compatible with an older Sony laptop (the one I use in my Airstream) and I eventually tired of running dual operating systems.

My solution when I help friends in the same boat, is to clean everything off and reload the basic Microsoft software with just what they need and no more, a simple internet browser and email program, along with an ISP like Earthlink or similar. And of course a robust anti-virus and firewall. And I tell them never to reply to pop-ups, etc, just close them. Stay away from popular media and gaming sites unless you know what they are. And keep everything updated and backed up, and regularly run the spy-checker, antivirus, etc.

Absolutely NO AOL! That program is the worst. It takes an already sucky and overloaded Microsoft operating system and loads further layers onto it so your machine runs like one that is three years old. Then with all the background programs running all the time, and pop-ups and animated screens, you don't know what is going on and your system becomes prone to spyware and viruses. Ugh - I hate AOL. And what a pain to get rid of. Only way is to clean it all off and start all over.

What a hassle this is becoming.

john
Old 10-26-2004, 08:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
But (in defense of having AOL), I am technologically challenged. I don't know if I am capable of not having a provider that doesn't "spoon feed" me, if you know what I mean.

What is the next easiest provider?

Kistler
Old 10-26-2004, 08:45 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Linn , Oregon
Earthlink has an integrated browser and email that is like AOL but still has a LOT less overhead and can be configured without some of the extras. Plus everyone I know who has switched to Earthlink really likes their service. No, I do not work for them.... They were just one of the first ISP's to really go up against AOL and MSN and now have a robust national service and excellent tech support.
Old 10-26-2004, 08:53 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Thank you for the info....understand that you don't work for them. I will check out Earthlink.

It would seem with AOL and Windows XP I might as well schedule The Guru (computer person--Night Vision) as regular as oil changes for the vehicles and the piano tuner for the piano.

Kistler
Old 10-26-2004, 09:01 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Linn , Oregon
Yes, it is really a sad state of affairs. We are back to the old days again, where people need technical support for the computers. Or maybe we never really got away from that requirement, it just seemed like we might.

Good luck with it.
Old 10-26-2004, 09:10 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
One more for me. I agree with John (71_safari), that installing new programs on Linux can be frustrating. Some will work perfectly for one distribution and blowup all over the hard drive on another. Some like Mozilla are solid across distributions. Unlike Windows though, a failed install will rarely cause system wide failures (no registry to corrupt). I think the file maintenance issues that older versions could experience are rare in the newest versions, especially if the OS is installed properly.
ken
Old 10-26-2004, 09:17 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Does Earthlink come in a "trial disk"? AOL can be picked up at the Post Office, Home Depot, and Toys R Us (joke).

Kistler
Old 10-26-2004, 09:24 PM   #15
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Thumbs up Earthlink

I have been with Earthlink for over 5 years and love it. I originally got it because of the 800 number dial ups and have stayed because the service has been excellent. They have a Spam blocker on their email that is execellent. It normally stops 95% of the spam that is directed at me. As far as Linux...I dunno I know people that swear by it and people that swear at it. I pretty much stick to Windows because that is what I am familiar with and that is what my company has us use
I do use Ad aware SE and AVG anti virus I would also reccomend an additional spybot type program, to catch the ones that Adaware misses. Also especially if you are on high speed get a firewall.

JMHO

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 09:28 PM   #16
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kistler
Does Earthlink come in a "trial disk"? AOL can be picked up at the Post Office, Home Depot, and Toys R Us (joke).

Kistler
Kistler,
Go to www.earthlink.net and you can down load or call them

Aarom
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 05:58 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I am a tech support guy, and in my County ( I work for the schools) we don't allow Aol.
I do recoomend earthlink, and I personally use JOI (JOIInternet.com) which is cheap and has been reliable for two years.
I also use an Imac at home although have hundreds of Dells at work. The mac has never had a virus issue, never crashed, and runs almost anything a home user could want.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 06:07 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Good a.m. , Alan SD... that explains why you are up early-- you've got to go to school. that is unless you are already there.

Someone, earlier, last evening suggested Earthlink is/was the probably next easiest to deal with--AOL being easiest.

I have gone to their site (Earthlink's) and inquired about a trial disk....you know that kind that AOL has available all over the place for their system.

Have a good day!

Kistler
Old 10-27-2004, 07:07 AM   #19
The Painted Pig

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Hailey , Idaho
I've used Linux in a classroom, but that's it.

How easy is it to install new hardware when running Linux? MS Plug n Play with XP is mighty sweet...
Moonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 08:11 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I run XP/Mandrake Linux 9.0 dual boot at home. I use a PPoe internet connection with Alltel DSL. No problems, Linux just works! Open Office is a great alternative for Microsoft Office. I have an HP 2210 multifunction printer and it works fine with Mandrake 9.0.

Just installed a new 80 gig HD in my machine, may upgrade to Mandrake 10.1 or give Gentoo a try.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote