Old 01-26-2010, 06:07 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Lily the Bear and Cub.. 'Den Cam' Ely, MN

Off topic but likely of some interest. Famous black bear researcher Lynn Rogers of Ely has a webcam and mike "watching" Lily and her now nearly one week old cub as they "hibernate" until early spring. The cub was born last week. Lily has an e-collar and Lynn Rogers monitors during the summer...the den is in the "wild" but close enough for a wireless camera and mike to be mounted just inside a PVC pipe that protects it pretty well...so far so good.

You can learn of Lily and North American Bear Organization at www.bear.org where you will also see where to click to watch Lily live. Please note that at this stage it is relatively quiet as Lily "engulfs" the cub to assure that it can nurse AND stay very warm. The mother curls into a ball with cub "inside" and then she sticks her nose into the cavity so her breath (and her body enclosure) can keep the cub warm.

Last week was exciting as we watched the birth...MANY sounds and quite a bit of observable activity both the 8-12 hours before (labor) and the 12 hours after as mother and cub learned to work together. This is Lily's first cub.

Also, 60,000 members on Lily the Black Bear's Facebook site...fun to read posts and Lily and the Cub watching has become quite an event. There were 40,000 online for the birth at a number of different web sites.

Lily the Black Bear | Facebook Not sure if this will get you Facebook people to the correct site...I think you can click to it from the bear.org site above.

My understanding is that this is the first live recording of the birth and "happening" in the den with mom and cub. They are organizing a 24/7 observation team to get detail loggings of feedings/activity, etc in the den.

While it has become more routine for mom and cub now...it took the first few days for them to learn to respond to each other. I must say...the baby bear sounds amazingly human when it cries and otherwise make "happy" and suckling sounds.

I must go back and check on them...let me know what you think...Tom R...in cold Two Harbors...just 80 miles from Lily BTW...the sound buzz comes with the territory...they have tried to fix but are not willing to go near the den in fear of disrupting Lily and cub

Old 01-26-2010, 07:46 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Bump...anyone visit Lily?

Old 01-26-2010, 07:53 PM   #3
5T5
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
2006 22' International CCD
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
I can see her breathing.Will keep an eye on her.
Kim
Old 01-26-2010, 07:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Yes. I went to visit Lily, but I couldn't see much. I'll check back at another time. THanks for the link.
Lisa

2008 23' Int. CCD "The Atomic Pod" https://atomicpod.wordpress.com
2002 Chinook Destiny | 1973 13' Boler (fiberglass egg) "The Boiler"
WBCCI #23223 (=23 CCD)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:59 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolerama View Post
Yes. I went to visit Lily, but I couldn't see much. I'll check back at another time. THanks for the link.
Lisa
Lily is still "hibernating" and other than "cleaning" and keeping the cub fed and warm she pretty much sleeps.

I will warn you...hearing Lily and the cubs "communicate" can be habit forming ...and come March tere should be lots going on. Also, check Lily's Facebook page...lot's of discussion and link to other video and pictures...
Old 01-27-2010, 07:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Sweet story, Tom.

She is sleeping, but we have bookmarked this and will be back to visit her.