Old 01-14-2019, 08:14 PM   #1

1970 31' Sovereign
Tallahassee , Florida
Lightweight clawfoot tub that will fit through the door?

Anyone know where I can find such a beast? We have a 31' landyacht that has been gutted so we're starting from scratch and would like to put a double-slipper tub in since we have the room to spare. My 3 options seem to be : 1) Find one that fits through the door (26" I believe, no luck so far), 2) remove a side panel (NOOO!!!!), or 3) Build one from fiberglass inside the trailer since i have the open space for now.
Thoughts?

AI4KK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Have you done a google search for this item?

Seriously.

Maggie

Old 01-14-2019, 08:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
I have heard of large fridges being taken out thru the front window opening.
That may have been in a motorhome tho.

Got to realy want it to do that.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
With the legs off this one will go through the door.
My wife wants a tub , so I've been researching.
https://www.vintagetub.com/download/...ssic_Specs.pdf
https://www.vintagetub.com/randolph-...rmart7wlp.html
ps:
Though, on my 34', that tub will not go down the hall.
I've been considering adding a custom made tub out of Corian in the space beneath the bed. My queen bed will tilt up to access storage beneath. There is a space that would work for a narrow tub, since my wife is small. If I put the tub in the storage area, all I would have to do is put a lid over the drawers that surround, to make a bench seat on three sides.
The real problem is draining the tub.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:23 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
1962 22' Safari
Augusta , Georgia
look at the work by Matthew Hofmann - an architect on West Coast. He has redone Airstreams with modern, clean looks. One of his units had a modern (aka plastics/acrylic) clawfoot tub. At one time he gave information on website of parts and pieces. Looks like he has redone his website and this is currently not available, may try internet wayback machine to find...
DGJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:11 PM   #6

1970 31' Sovereign
Tallahassee , Florida
OK, thanks, and yes I have looked at many clawfoot tub installs in Airsteams which let me know it could be done..I am also looking for contact info on several of those installs to ask them how they did it.
I finally made it on top of my trailer today for the first time since Hurricane Michael and it's taken a beating; it's in storage at a friend's house but I'm about to bring it to mine now that I have a place big enough to keep it. I had to chainsaw through a bunch of big trees to get to it, and pull several branches off the top. I don't see any leaks in the skin itself yet, but 2 of the hatches are gone (120mph winds will do that) and the whole surface is just pure beat to hell. I don't think it's restorable so may just be putting sheet metal over it all and covering it with solar panels...or finding another gutted Airstream to buy and using mine for parts

AI4KK is offline   Reply With Quote