Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2015, 08:25 AM   #41
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I look at the death of a thread as if the thread were a thread on a sweater. It gets pulled and pulled until there is nothing left of substance. At which time a mod steps in and and snips it.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 08:43 AM   #42
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
I fancy myself an armature student of science.
So you study taxidermy? Given the amount of metal holding my feet together, I quit seeing my podiatrist and go to a taxidermist instead!

For some reason my podiatrist thinks that one is funny. Good thing someone does!

Okay, seriously, I know you meant "armchair" But how on Earth did spell-check— or auto-complete if sent from a phone— get "armature" from "armchair"? Now THAT is a mystery of modern science!
Old 11-04-2015, 08:49 AM   #43
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Okay, seriously, I know you meant "armchair" But how on Earth did spell-check— or auto-complete if sent from a phone— get "armature" from "armchair"? Now THAT is a mystery of modern science!
He obviously meant to type "amateur", not "armchair".

Sheesh.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 08:50 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
I look at the death of a thread as if the thread were a thread on a sweater. It gets pulled and pulled until there is nothing left of substance. At which time a mod steps in and and snips it.
Yes.

Or, it just runs its course and dies of benign neglect.

Maggie
Old 11-04-2015, 08:54 AM   #45
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
Here is what I do not understand:

People who know nothing about the design/development/testing of a vehicle casually advice other folks to ignore the manufacturer ratings. They usually have some anecdotal evidence that its going to be "fine" doing so.

Others warn that ignoring the manufacturer ratings may not be a good idea. They are immediately labeled as fear mongers/trolls/etc.

Where has common sense gone?
There are many good minds that don't work for the auto industry.
Tinkerers and fabricators, machine designers, experienced welders, engineers and the like.
Many of those types are entirely capable of taking an existing design and improving on it.
Automobile manufacturers can not - for reasons of economics and profit margin - make every vehicle optimized for towing.
But tinkerers, etc can. That is what Can Am does. And they have been very successful at it.
Many of the biggest improvements in equipment design have been simple tweaks to existing machines or systems.
It's called incremental improvement and not just the auto industry is able to do it.
On the other hand, if you do not have those tinkering skills and propensities you are more likely to look negatively at other people's work and take it as an absolute that the auto manufacturer has already optimized every vehicle for every purpose and every improvement made by "non professionals"
Are inherently suspect.
Thus the dire warnings about leaving things alone and the fear of lawsuits all the time.
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 08:57 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Life and death of a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
A lot of this ugliness and bickering could be prevented if the original poster was a bit more clear about the answers they are really looking for.

I have come to the conclusion that 90 percent of the treads that sound like "I want to try to do XXX, what do y'all think?" can be translated to "I am GOING TO DO XXX, and want your encouragement." I am probably guilty of starting threads in this way myself. Anyway, I am trying harder to interpret the OP's real intention and only be encouraging when requested, and silently untroubled otherwise.

I fall on the other side of that equation. If I am going to do something "controversial" or "anti mainstream" I do it first, and post about it later.

Usually it works, sometimes it does not,,, like when I mounted a homemade DC generator in the trailer spare tire well to run my inverter powered air conditioner... (That one was a fail, my slightly off of mainstream answer was to buy a single "just big enough" Yamaha instead of the near obligatory two Honda generators)

Things I didn't "pre post" about were virtually no 12 volt anything in my trailer, and my residential appliances and fixtures including my non propane refrigerator and my flush toilet.

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:01 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
So you study taxidermy? Given the amount of metal holding my feet together, I quit seeing my podiatrist and go to a taxidermist instead!

For some reason my podiatrist thinks that one is funny. Good thing someone does!

Lol, I still manage to embarrass myself on a regular basis, that I am good at...

Brevi tempore!

Old 11-04-2015, 09:08 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Have you ever noticed that the OP rarely comes back to a controversial thread after the bickering begins ?

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:19 AM   #49
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Maybe they are so put off by the ugliness that erupts as a result of their first post that they run from the Forums and never return.

Maybe they are the kind of person who tosses a skunk into the tent (or trailer), and slips away laughing...

Probably, they stumble into the mine-field of towing and tow vehicles innocently enough (they thought there was only ONE "best" answer). Maybe there should be a warning on the towing forum--"abandon all hope, ye who enter here...."
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:32 AM   #50
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Life and death of a thread

Most members post little and seldom. I imagine the majority post once if at all.

This can be verified by running down the member list of most any forum that allows this kind of viewing of member details.

And then there are members like me who frequent a forum for about 5,000 posts and then drop into cyber oblivion.

(I am plotting a dramatic exit as I type)

Brevi tempore!

Old 11-04-2015, 10:25 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
This thread is sooooooo funny!!!!!
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 10:33 AM   #52
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
He obviously meant to type "amateur", not "armchair".

Sheesh.
That is a closer fit for spell-check to have messed up. You have just taken the mystery right out of it. Dang!
Old 11-04-2015, 10:42 AM   #53
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBWELL View Post
Is somebody "picking" on Canada again? We just got a new Prime Minister!!!
Justin is doing his best.
timhortons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:06 AM   #54
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
There are those of us who will not leave a mark on the forum, but may leave a scar. My apologies to Blackberry Smoke.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:36 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
rising from the undead... critters and snakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
Look at any of the forum directories. . . scroll down to bottom of page. Better yet, go a few pages back. A veritable catacomb of dead threads.

Every now and then someone does a search and replies to a thread they turned up without noticing that the previous post was somewhere around 2003. The thread then becomes a "zombie thread", undead until it sinks back to the bottom.
... such as mudflap critters - creepy post of the month and can a snake get in?
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:40 AM   #56
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
Where has common sense gone?
The above is a perfect statement where one claims to be intellectually superior to others.

Common sense does not exist in the way you think it does.

When I think of “common sense” I think of, “don’t put your hand in a fire.” and “don’t run into a busy street.” But even those aren’t “common.” A two-year-old would probably do both without thinking twice. That is because he doesn’t know any better—he has not learned what is so common to others, and subsequently has not developed that “sense.”

It should be clear at this point that “common sense” is merely a set of assumptions a person makes about a topic in which he or she has explicit knowledge. Everyone is different—their experiences and interests dictate their knowledge. It is something we should try to remember when we are tempted to assume that something is “common sense.”

Common sense is developed by gaining knowledge and experience, connect some invisible dots and help that person to get both.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:32 PM   #57
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
The above is a perfect statement where one claims to be intellectually superior to others.

Common sense does not exist in the way you think it does.

When I think of “common sense” I think of, “don’t put your hand in a fire.” and “don’t run into a busy street.” But even those aren’t “common.” A two-year-old would probably do both without thinking twice. That is because he doesn’t know any better—he has not learned what is so common to others, and subsequently has not developed that “sense.”

It should be clear at this point that “common sense” is merely a set of assumptions a person makes about a topic in which he or she has explicit knowledge. Everyone is different—their experiences and interests dictate their knowledge. It is something we should try to remember when we are tempted to assume that something is “common sense.”

Common sense is developed by gaining knowledge and experience, connect some invisible dots and help that person to get both.

I am not sure how you reached this conclusion based on my post. Without getting into the philosophical definition of common sense, I think its not right to call someone who disagrees with you (based on a legitimate concern) a troll/fear monger-er/etc. I also think if you need advice on subject matter A, talking to an expert in subject matter B does not make any sense.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 12:34 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Looks like he's got even this thread on life support.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 12:34 PM   #59
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
The greatest thing about this thread is that it ALMOST devolved into the thread described in post #1... almost. I have faith. Keep trying!

-Red, backing into the shadows once again...
Old 11-04-2015, 12:40 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
...and, like a Seinfeld episode...this thread is about nothing... LOL
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote