Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoLady View Post
OOOOOH-oooooh-ooooh!!! I know just how to end the thread:
1. How many guns do you have?
2. What kind are the best to carry when camping?
3. Are you democrat?
4.Why?
5. How much do you hate republicans?
6. Why?

Now, if that does'nt do it.......������������������������
1. none
2. squirt gun
3. no
4. they don't let Canadians join the party
5. not at all
6. they make Canada look good in comparison

1946 Spartan Manor
1954 Va-Ka-Shun-Ette
1964 Overlander
1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper
1974 Sovereign
2005 F-350 SRW 4x4 crew cab long box
TAC ON-5
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 06:04 PM   #338
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsonOverlander View Post
1. none
2. squirt gun
3. no
4. they don't let Canadians join the party
5. not at all
6. they make Canada look good in comparison
That might not end it but this will.

1. None

Why not?!?!

😎

Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:29 PM   #339
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoLady View Post
OOOOOH-oooooh-ooooh!!! I know just how to end the thread:
1. How many guns do you have?
2. What kind are the best to carry when camping?
3. Are you democrat?
4.Why?
5. How much do you hate republicans?
6. Why?

Now, if that does'nt do it.......������������������������

1. A freaking bunch... seriously, a BUNCH! Like, every time I see CNN say “The shooter had an arsenal...” I’m all like, “Meh, not so much...”

2. There’s not a best... I love them all equally!

3. Nope

4. It’s complicated...

5. I agree with a previous poster: Depends on the Republican.

6. Because some Republicans are pretty good guys, and others are idiots.

Now I have to ask, what’s with all the numbers at the end of the post?

-Red, snuggling with a 1911 as he types...
Old 01-06-2018, 09:12 PM   #340
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
If nothing else, most threads suffer from endothermic denaturation (they burn out and die).

Happy New Year!
Old 01-06-2018, 10:03 PM   #341

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
If nothing else, most threads suffer from endothermic denaturation (they burn out and die).

Happy New Year!
Run out of energy and fall apart?
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:09 PM   #342
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
That might not end it but this will.

1. None

Why not?!?!

😎
Oh boy! Well, since you asked...

It's not legal in Canada where I live and I don't think there's a way that I could legally carry a gun in the States where I do spend a lot of time each year, but even if I could I've never felt the need or seen the point of doing so.

The odds of one actually needing a gun for self-defence seem very low, and even if you have one it's no guarantee that you're going to be better off with it than without it. Sure it could save you, but it could also be used against you; you or someone else could injure or kill someone accidentally; or it could be used for a suicide.

If you carry a gun:
  • Are you sure that you have sufficient training? Even with intensive training law enforcement officers still make mistakes and shoot the wrong person, so I'm not sure what makes the average person think they will do better.
  • Do you carry sufficient insurance to protect yourself and your family in the event that you have to pay legal costs and/or settle a lawsuit as a result of your gun use?
  • Are you sure that neither yourself nor anyone else amongst your family and friends will ever suffer from a mental illness that might lead to your gun being used in a suicide?
  • And have you weighed the odds of a gun saving your life against the cost and inconvenience of carrying one?
The murder rate in the USA is about 1 in 20,000 per year, but unless you're living in a more dangerous city like Chicago, or involved in criminal activity, or have a violent family member to deal with, the chances of one being murdered are far less. So if you do carry a gun, do you spend as much time and money protecting yourself from the many causes of death that are more common than homicide as you do on your firearm?

Here are The top 10 leading causes of death in the United States, all of which are far more likely to kill you than murder. Most of the things that you can do to reduce your chances of dying from any of these are free of cost and risk. If you feel the need to carry a gun for protection, are you also protecting yourself by reducing your risk of death by these more common causes? If not, then you're basing your decision on fear, rather than risk.

I don't post these questions expecting anyone to answer (unless you really want this thread closed!), but more for you to think about.

1946 Spartan Manor
1954 Va-Ka-Shun-Ette
1964 Overlander
1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper
1974 Sovereign
2005 F-350 SRW 4x4 crew cab long box
TAC ON-5
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:32 AM   #343
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Woohoo! Now we’re getting somewhere! However, seeing as how I’ve already advanced this thread to step 15, and “Gun Debate” isn’t one of the steps... I don’t know. Seems unfair to shut the thread down with the “Auto-close”, and not follow the steps so nicely laid out by SteveSueMac. You Canadians! Can’t follow the rules. Always the rebels... starting wars and stuff. Y’all need to calm it down a little.

-Red, anti-Canadian pacifist...
Old 01-07-2018, 04:34 AM   #344
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Life and death of a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattirs View Post
Run out of energy and fall apart?

Why yes I have, thanks for noticing...

-Red, rode hard, put up wet...
Old 01-07-2018, 05:16 AM   #345
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Red - while I admire your hurling of insults at DavidsonOverlander, you've somewhat jumped the gun (if you will) by choosing a step much later in the process and not reverting back to step one at the new insight provided. If we ever hope to get this thread correctly shut down, we must model the way. To wit:

Hi there, DavidsonOverlander and welcome to the thread! Hoo boy you've opened up a bit of a can of worms as your neighbors to the south would say! Stay tuned - you'll get lots of varied opinions here. Good luck!
SteveSueMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:24 AM   #346
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
My bad. I was frustrated. I’ll try again...

Hey DavidsonOverlander! A great big welcome to our neighbors to the north! Fortunately, my right to carry is secured by the Constitution, as God intended it to be.
You made a few good points there though. Keep trying!

-Red, wishing now he’d have said “‘Merica!” in there somewhere...
Old 01-07-2018, 05:58 AM   #347
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsonOverlander View Post
Oh boy! Well, since you asked...

It's not legal in Canada where I live and I don't think there's a way that I could legally carry a gun in the States where I do spend a lot of time each year, but even if I could I've never felt the need or seen the point of doing so.

The odds of one actually needing a gun for self-defence seem very low, and even if you have one it's no guarantee that you're going to be better off with it than without it. Sure it could save you, but it could also be used against you; you or someone else could injure or kill someone accidentally; or it could be used for a suicide.

If you carry a gun:
  • Are you sure that you have sufficient training? Even with intensive training law enforcement officers still make mistakes and shoot the wrong person, so I'm not sure what makes the average person think they will do better.
  • Do you carry sufficient insurance to protect yourself and your family in the event that you have to pay legal costs and/or settle a lawsuit as a result of your gun use?
  • Are you sure that neither yourself nor anyone else amongst your family and friends will ever suffer from a mental illness that might lead to your gun being used in a suicide?
  • And have you weighed the odds of a gun saving your life against the cost and inconvenience of carrying one?
The murder rate in the USA is about 1 in 20,000 per year, but unless you're living in a more dangerous city like Chicago, or involved in criminal activity, or have a violent family member to deal with, the chances of one being murdered are far less. So if you do carry a gun, do you spend as much time and money protecting yourself from the many causes of death that are more common than homicide as you do on your firearm?

Here are The top 10 leading causes of death in the United States, all of which are far more likely to kill you than murder. Most of the things that you can do to reduce your chances of dying from any of these are free of cost and risk. If you feel the need to carry a gun for protection, are you also protecting yourself by reducing your risk of death by these more common causes? If not, then you're basing your decision on fear, rather than risk.

I don't post these questions expecting anyone to answer (unless you really want this thread closed!), but more for you to think about.
I hope you didn't spend too much time writing that. I only posted the question in jest, not trying to actually get the thread closed lol.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:14 AM   #348

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
What everybody, we now have a perfect chance to go to step 7.
(Just can't think of any empirical evidence)

Matti- not tearing them from my hands as long as my heart is beating
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:32 AM   #349
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
(Snip...)
we now have a perfect chance to go to step 7.

VERY well played!

But really we can't skip steps 2-6 to get there...

Really though - that was perfect!!
SteveSueMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:40 AM   #350
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Quote:
What everybody, we now have a perfect chance to go to step 7.

Matti- not tearing them from my hands as long as my heart is beating
Now we're getting there. And to answer the four questions, yes, yes, yes, and yes.