Old 03-31-2008, 12:59 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We need the manual ourselves

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
The only book I can write right now is a self help manual on how to build an Airstream for the factory.
Michelle, the factory sure could use one, but they seem to be unable to hear us. It seems like the company is run by too many empty suits. But a self help manual for new, prospective, and long time owners would be a wonderful service. Maybe the dealerships would carry it.

There are Airstream books on the market, but they deal with history or unusual restorations, and they find a market, limited as it is. Maybe some Forum members would contribute stories, expertise, or whatever. I see that the Forum has a "Articles" site now and I haven't even looked at it, but it may give ideas or opportunities. Woodalls has a pretty good book on RV maintenance and that is one style to emulate, but combining that approach with individual's Airstream stories would be more interesting, fun, and helpful—also more marketable than a maintenance manual alone. With all the different models, it could be more like an encyclopedia though if you're not careful. Finding a publisher after you have an outline is important—I don't know whether Woodall's would be interested in a fairly limited market, or the Forum wants to get into publishing.

Consulting can be lucrative and allows flexible hours and maybe that's the way to go. I'm being selfish when I want to have your book that tells me what to do when the damn dohickey won't do whatever it's supposed to do and how to fix it, replace it or where to kick it. I'd be glad to write the introduction—"how I found myself with an Airstream trailer when I never wanted an RV".

Gene

Old 03-31-2008, 03:54 PM   #58
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
The only book I can write right now is a self help manual on how to build an Airstream for the factory.
I'd be happy with a well written, i.e. somewhat complete, owner's manual!

WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote