Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-19-2008, 07:46 AM   #41
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
well, I can tell you...I know just how you feel. And I'm not going to give you any of that "chin-up" drivel, because I know what that feels like, too.
BUT...not knowing anything about this condition or its prognosis...is there any hope there? better/different meds, etc? Seems that from your description, they're mostly hung up on the meds, rather than the condition itself? or is it both? {sigh}. FAA's motto has always been "we're not happy, 'till you're not happy".

I thought you had an A&P?
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:56 AM   #42
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Michelle, I am so sorry to hear that the FAA isn't going to allow you to continue to fly. There is always aviation maintenance for you to fall back on, isn't there?

Good luck with your new career path in Missoula. Don't know anything about the place, but sounds like others do and it must be a nice place. Hope you do well there and hope you can make it back to the Can Opener Rally in '09. I've already reserved my site!

Good luck and, once again, I'm sorry things didn't work out the way you wanted them to.

Tom
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:35 AM   #43
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Seal Beach , California
Thumbs up My hat's off to you!

Michelle:
I can tell from your signature line, and your reaction to dispiriting news, that you don't just talk the talk, you walk the walk. You are determined to make lemonade from lemons, and that takes real guts! Please keep us up-to-date on your new "course"; you have a caravan-load of supporters!

All the best,
Jerry

Jerry & Susan
2007 19' Bambi SE; 2018 Ford F-350 5.4L SuperCrew 4x4
ESCAPE POD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:24 AM   #44
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
well that STINKS michelle...

as one door closes many others may open.

missoula is a great area, hows the job market?

last time i checked there were lots of young'ins in low wage service industry jobs, so they could ski or bike or hike...

and a growing segment of 'relocated retirees'

you've got skills so that's a big bonus, but what's hot in missoula?

cheers
2air'
2air,
Thanks for the encouragement. I know door will open. I am hoping for a cute filthy rich guy with an bright shinny trailer walk into my life so I can play for the rest of my life an not work .

I am not sure expactly what the job market looks like in Missoula. I moved there but was not expecting to work there.
I have extensive computer skills and hope to put those to work.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:30 AM   #45

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
well, I can tell you...I know just how you feel. And I'm not going to give you any of that "chin-up" drivel, because I know what that feels like, too.
BUT...not knowing anything about this condition or its prognosis...is there any hope there? better/different meds, etc? Seems that from your description, they're mostly hung up on the meds, rather than the condition itself? or is it both? {sigh}. FAA's motto has always been "we're not happy, 'till you're not happy".

I thought you had an A&P?
There are three meds that work and all are not appoved for flying. Since what I have is not very common research (read money) is not a high priority. I do not hold much hope for anything new to pop up soon. There is one hope but involves implanting something.

Actually the FAA NW region was very human about the hole thing. I was impressed.

I do have an A&P but I cannot spend much time on my feet. That and the whole union/ you start at the bottom wheneveryou start with a new company and pay that starts over I am not keen on even trying that avenue.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:56 PM   #46

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESCAPE POD
Michelle:
I can tell from your signature line, and your reaction to dispiriting news, that you don't just talk the talk, you walk the walk. You are determined to make lemonade from lemons, and that takes real guts! Please keep us up-to-date on your new "course"; you have a caravan-load of supporters!

All the best,
Jerry
Jerry,
Thanks for the well wishes. I will let you all know where I end up.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:23 PM   #47
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Thumbs up Hang in there Michelle!

Any employer will be lucky to get you! You have lots to offer!! Feel supported
Old 03-30-2008, 05:41 PM   #48
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Michelle,

Bummer! I've had peripheral neuropathy since about 2000. All I have is intermittent numbness and moderate tingling, almost entirely in part of my feet with a very, very occasional hit of pain. That doesn't sound as serious as your condition.

At first it scared me because I had no idea what was going on until a doctor gave it a name and I could read about it (thank you, internet). It doesn't affect my functioning at all, thought the numbness is still strange. At this moment a few of my right toes are a bit numb and tingly. All the reasons cited above (diabetes, hiv, etc.) are nothing I have, but I know an uncle has the same thing, so in some cases I guess it's hereditary. Since it started, there has been very, very little progression. In the past year or two I get the same feeling in a few fingers from time to time. It doesn't affect the usual things nerves do—touch, hot, cold. I hope your experience is as benign. It seems like your problem with the FAA is about the medication for pain. I'm sure you've looked into alternatives so I'm sure something as simple as ibuprofen doesn't work for you.

With your amazing knowledge of Airsteams, maybe there's a way to turn all that knowledge into a profession? And, you write well, so maybe writing about them is something to pursue?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 07:02 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet You Might Consider Central Arkansas

Hi Michelle,

I know that Dassault Falcon Jet and Hawker Beechcraft are both frantically searching for employees here in Little Rock. Both facilities finish and maintain the business jets. They are flown to Little Rock in the white using handhelds. The instruments and interiors are put in here. Falcon has to build a bigger hanger to accommodate the new 7x. The $7million paint hanger that they built 3-4 years ago isn’t big enough. Both companies are looking for lots of people over the long run.

Computer skills, I know Dassault is looking for CATIA people. There is even a CATIA class at the University of Arkansas at Little Rock at their request.

Consider Little Rock.

Hope all is well for you.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:02 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Michelle, I'm late on catching up with your situation. I'm so sorry to hear the FAA has nixed your flying. I know your heart was in flying and you enjoyed it. You are so talented. You have many gifts that can serve you in a variety of careers. I pray that even though a door has been shut, a window will open and you will "fly" into another equally exciting job opportunity. I know your adventures won't end here.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:14 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Michelle,

You are in our hearts and prayers. As devestating as the diagnosis and the news from the FAA are, you will succeed in any course you decide on. From reading your posts in many threads, I feel you have a level head on your shoulders, and a good deal of sense.

Find your dream and go get it. We all have faith in you.

Marie
Old 03-30-2008, 07:22 PM   #52

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Neuropathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene
Michelle,

It doesn't affect my functioning at all, thought the numbness is still strange.
On medication it does not affect my functioning as long as I take the medication. If I don't I don't sleep. Very bad.
Quote:
All the reasons cited above (diabetes, hiv, etc.) are nothing I have, but I know an uncle has the same thing, so in some cases I guess it's hereditary. Since it started, there has been very, very little progression. In the past year or two I get the same feeling in a few fingers from time to time.
I have had progression up my legs. It has taken increasing medication levels to keep the tingling and pain at bay.
Quote:
It doesn't affect the usual things nerves do—touch, hot, cold. I hope your experience is as benign.
Unfortuantely it does affect touch hot and cold on my feet. My hands are fine for now.
Quote:
It seems like your problem with the FAA is about the medication for pain. I'm sure you've looked into alternatives so I'm sure something as simple as ibuprofen doesn't work for you.
The medication is a problem since it is a neurtransmitter modifier. Alternative medicine (acupuncture, massage, chiropractic) does help but it does not reduce it to the point that regular pain medication will do trick. I cannot take ibuprofen.
Quote:
With your amazing knowledge of Airsteams, maybe there's a way to turn all that knowledge into a profession? And, you write well, so maybe writing about them is something to pursue?
funny you mention it. I am considering it.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:59 PM   #53
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Michelle, you've been writing here for 2 years, so maybe if you go back through your posts there are articles or even a book about your travels and your experience germinating there. Publishing anything is a tough, but certainly some people do it successfully and this is a place to publicize anything you might write. Or maybe something else to do with Airstream. When you're ready to hear it, your inner voice will guide you.

Gene
Old 03-31-2008, 09:19 AM   #54

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Michelle, you've been writing here for 2 years, so maybe if you go back through your posts there are articles or even a book about your travels and your experience germinating there. Publishing anything is a tough, but certainly some people do it successfully and this is a place to publicize anything you might write. Or maybe something else to do with Airstream. When you're ready to hear it, your inner voice will guide you.

Gene
The only book I can write right now is a self help manual on how to build an Airstream for the factory.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:48 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
The only book I can write right now is a self help manual on how to build an Airstream for the factory.
And start with rust, clearcoat and the whole rubrail shell-frame junction. Many of us tended to gradgiate from the school of Airstream makin' -- doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results. Here's to wishing you zen moments and clarity, Michelle!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:46 AM   #56
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Michelle

Sometimes life throws flower petals at our feet and other times it bombards us with rotten turnips. We forget the flower petals make a mess of our floors sometimes while the turnips make great fertilizer for the next crop.

You have very desirable skills. Your aviation experience, your computer skills, your ability to communicate effectively, your maturity and your mobility are all the kind of qualities a lot of consulting organizations look for. There's also the possibility of working on the ground to support those still up in the air. If you can't do it personally at least you might be able to get involved in another way. You were involved in fire fighting, how about the groups who hired you for that - they have to need people in the decision process and dispatch on the ground to work with the pilots.

When I was in the consulting business and we were working with a client we were always on the prowl for people who could bring hands on experience to that type of client. We could then talk the clients language and deliver to their expectations a lot better because we had team members who knew exactly what is considered acceptable and what is considered going the extra mile in that industry. You may want to research who the bigger consulting groups are in that industry and fire off some resumes. The money is certainly very good and one gets the opportunity to work with some incredible companies helping them make their business that much better.

Good luck with your search. I don't doubt that you will be successful in your next adventure.

Barry
Old 03-31-2008, 11:59 AM   #57
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
We need the manual ourselves

Quote:
Michelle, the factory sure could use one, but they seem to be unable to hear us. It seems like the company is run by too many empty suits. But a self help manual for new, prospective, and long time owners would be a wonderful service. Maybe the dealerships would carry it.

There are Airstream books on the market, but they deal with history or unusual restorations, and they find a market, limited as it is. Maybe some Forum members would contribute stories, expertise, or whatever. I see that the Forum has a "Articles" site now and I haven't even looked at it, but it may give ideas or opportunities. Woodalls has a pretty good book on RV maintenance and that is one style to emulate, but combining that approach with individual's Airstream stories would be more interesting, fun, and helpful—also more marketable than a maintenance manual alone. With all the different models, it could be more like an encyclopedia though if you're not careful. Finding a publisher after you have an outline is important—I don't know whether Woodall's would be interested in a fairly limited market, or the Forum wants to get into publishing.

Consulting can be lucrative and allows flexible hours and maybe that's the way to go. I'm being selfish when I want to have your book that tells me what to do when the damn dohickey won't do whatever it's supposed to do and how to fix it, replace it or where to kick it. I'd be glad to write the introduction—"how I found myself with an Airstream trailer when I never wanted an RV".

Gene
Old 03-31-2008, 02:54 PM   #58
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
I'd be happy with a well written, i.e. somewhat complete, owner's manual!
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote