Yes, as Roseanne Rosanadanna so famously said.......
Well, ya know that iceberg that I mentioned a few posts ago...............
A good friend of mine was making removable sunscreens for the exterior of all of my windows and the windshield (RV Sunshade, Inc.) and he told me that he could see thru my windshield.
I said Gordon, that's because it was just washed and waxed and all of that nasty dirt and bug jerky is gone. He said no, he could look right thru a big gap between the windshield gasket and the windshield in one spot, and between the gasket and the coach frame in another.
THIS IS NOT GOOD
, I thought......
So after lunch, I went over to the Beaver and looked for myself. I had already noted the extremely poor and amateurish caulking job around the windshield seams and was going to re-do them before departure, but this was IMPORTANT!!!
I have no idea how much water was leaking thru these seams, but the silicone job that the PO either did or had done was total crap! And besides, we all know NEVER TO USE SILICONE ON AN RV.......RIGHT?
So I just got done spending the better part of 3 hours removing the silicone with a razor blade and chisel from all around the huge RV windshield. Tomorrow, I will sand the area (fiberglass) to remove any last remnants and then clean thoroughly with alcohol and SikaSense cleaner in preparation for re-sealing the windshield gasket to the coach PROPERLY !!!
with SikaFlex-221 in black
If that wasn't enough, the glass was not seated properly in the rubber gasket. It is the type that fits the glass on one side and the coach body on the other. You then add a spline to tighten everything and it should be good to go.
Well, I removed a part of the spline and re-positioned the gasket so it now held both the glass and the coach wall and re-inserted the spline.
Tomorrow is caulking day.....enjoy the shots......especially the one that shows the top right 1/4" separation between the gasket and the coach