Old 06-01-2016, 07:22 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Legend of Earl Dorr's River of Gold...

At a Memorial Day get together, a neighbor heard I was a geologist, of some trustworthy nature, and asked if I had heard about an 'underground river' just west of the southern Nevada State Line in eastern San Bernadino County, California.

'All news to me' was my reply.

Paperwork was delivered to me by him in person and I would... 'look into it'.

An Underground River with tides and flowing 3,000 to 5,000 feet below the surface surrounded by huge stalagmites and stalactites.

This afternoon my neighbor brought to me a copy of a Sworn Statement of E. P. Dorr and notorized the 10th of December 1934 in Los Angeles detailing several mountain peaks and the discovery of Placer Gold deposits.

Well, anyone mentioning gold placers to a geologist... is giving a free lead to filling one's pockets with gold dust and nuggets. Hmmm. Onto the Google searches, since my maps and California geology are still in Colorado.

But... for you who like to Boondock and might enjoy a good camping out in the Mohave Desert... this story may be for YOU.

Key Locations to search for those interested to get started with some background of all of this.:

Kokoweef Peak
Kokoweef Cave
Dorr Peak
Earl Dorr
Crystal Cave
Legend of Earl Dorr's (now deceased) River of Gold

Is this the Lost Dutchman of Arizona, but one at 5,000 feet below the Mohave Desert in California? Also, including a flowing river with tides?

There is a lot to work through on this River of Gold. Have you been wanting to take your Airstream and check this one out?

This is an alternative Off Topic for those itching to discover another entrance to the cave system beneath the desert.

What is your impression of this find in 1934. Are you ready to tow your Airstream to the area and find out for yourself?

Now you will understand the true reasons for the 2016 Wyoming Adventure. We will be searching for the Source of Jade actually found between Lander and Jeffery City, Wyoming. It is hard to keep a secret when so many people can read and discover for themselves, lost treasure and jade boulders just for the taking.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This is a great story, tho camping in the Mohave Desert does not excite me.

Maggie

Old 06-01-2016, 07:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
This is a great story, tho camping in the Mohave Desert does not excite me.
Maggie

The Winter months are delightful and comfortable. Are you putting together a River of Gold Adventure for Winter 2017?
Old 06-01-2016, 07:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Ummmm.....no.

Maggie
Old 06-03-2016, 09:35 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Investors wanted since 1934... who is next in line?

The individual who loaned me a copy of the cross section of this area, discussed the possibilities of this being true as well as the Notarized Statement of Earl Dorr. We sat down yesterday evening. He had been asked if he was interested in joining a venture to rediscover this opportunity as an 'investor'.

He is around 80 years old and lived in Nevada since 1959. Well aware of the Gold and Silver mining in the State. The person who made the copies for him might already be 'investing' in locating this... lost underground treasure. He is about the same age. My neighbor thinks he may have already put money into this... venture.

Members on the Forum may not recognize a Scam having to do with gold placers, rivers running almost a mile below the surface of the Mohave Desert and 1500 foot stalactites... and believing these stories, bordering on fantasy, yet ready to invest money in the possibility.

My first thought. 100% Scam. All my other thoughts, the same conclusion.

Two rare commodities in the Mohave Desert. Water. Placer Gold.

...and Caverns that would make Carlsbad Caverns appear to be a hole in the ground.

Once I began to search the internet... the cross section and the notarized statement were available to anyone with a computer and a printer to print these out and claim they have... a possible Lost Treasure map.

Some of the story is... true. Limestone and at least one opening that appears to be an entrance of several feet or, as the 1934 'eye witness reports'... miles of passages down to a river that flows and tides of 9 feet or more. Hmmm. Obviously Mr. Dorr did not understand how 'tides' and oceans are not the same as underground rivers.

Those who do want an adventure... follow the trail. Even Mark Twain would have laughed at this one... but then again, maybe this treasure trove exists. All you need is a mile of rope to get to it. Having nothing better to do this Summer? This could take care of having an average camping experience, or becoming famous.

I have been on less interesting treasure hunts. This is one that will attract those knowing nothing about mining and are gullible enough to think this exists.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:29 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
About 15 years ago we were studying groundwater around Death Valley. The NPS took us to some springs that that could have been misconstrued as underground "criks", maybe rivers by Death Valley standards. They were deeper than one could see, and were closed to the public because they were important pup fish habitat. The Park Service had explored them as much as they could at the time. There was no way they could have been explored in 1934. I'm pretty sure a diver couldn't get very far into them. Maybe some sort of robotic submersible could get further, but I doubt that the Park Service would allow that for fear that it could damage the formation.

So there definitely are some cavern type formations that are filled with water. I missed seeing any tides. That would certainly change the dynamics of the region.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:17 PM   #7
Rivet Master

HAVE YOU HEARD? Someone just discovered a HUGE gold deposit in an old abandoned silver mine on the west slopes of Colorado? Looking for investors who want to get rich! (Wink, wink).
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 04:04 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoLady View Post
HAVE YOU HEARD? Someone just discovered a HUGE gold deposit in an old abandoned silver mine on the west slopes of Colorado? Looking for investors who want to get rich! (Wink, wink).

The US Geological Survey encouraged Gold Placering in the western USA in the 1930's. It was a way to keep unemployed citizens busy and at many locations a small income could be found panning and sluicing gold.

But... then along come the opportunists who promoted 'undiscovered' and unproven opportunities, but no matter how rich the site, these individuals needed financial support to exploit these riches. This is more in the Earl Dorr's River of Gold opportunity.

Information about mining and gemstones was not available with the stroke of a keyboard and search on Google, in the 1930's. Anyone could 'plant a wide variety of gemstones upon an ant hill' to justify that the property for sale was indeed, valuable. This was done in southwest Wyoming in the post Civil War era. (I forget the details, but some of the stones were... faceted.)

In the 19th century... many such scams were popular. Cripple Creek, Colorado in the late 1890's had mining stock called 'penny stocks' as they eventually were in the cents and not dollars for share after little gold was to be recovered.

But... for the modern trailer camper, there are places that are in the Public Domain that gems and precious metals can be found. It takes a lot of research and many unproductive trips with nothing to show, other than fresh air and great scenery.

This spot in the Mohave Desert offered opportunity at a place no body understood very well. After eighty years... there are some looking. Much like the Lost Dutchman's mine in Arizona. Another opportunity for some to spend their time still looking for the mine.

Large gold nuggets barely below the surface remain to be discovered. They are found only where they occur geologically. Once found... I can guarantee you that the secret will remain with the finder... until all is found. There would be no map and an offer to become a partner, if you supply the money needed to 'share' the new found wealth.
Old 06-03-2016, 04:15 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
What??!? You mean I've been scammed again??!?

Oh, the humanity!!!
Old 06-03-2016, 04:21 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by drboyd View Post
What??!? You mean I've been scammed again??!?

Oh, the humanity!!!

At least the Lost Dutchman Mine is still... lost. Did you pay in 'wooden nickels'?

Colorado is full of them. Now called... Ghost Towns. Even the towns were taken apart and moved. More gold dust was found beneath the wooden plank floors, than in the mines, at the saloons.

Phoenix and Surprise, Arizona may be next. They may be using the underground river in the Mohave Desert of California the Earl Dorr discovered a mile below the surface.

The Great Diamond Hoax... 1872 in Wyoming. (Post #8 could not remember...)

Some day when everything else has been exhausted for Western Adventures... maybe a Gold and Sapphire Exploring Adventure...